Seeding bins at a convention - how do you do it?
6 6

172 posts in this topic

28,545 posts
Just now, thunsicker said:

So you are assuming the dealers he doesn't want to deal with don't have similar scummy dealings?

who's to say that the non dealer isn't scummier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts

Maybe he should make a big sign (since he won't have a wall)

COLLECTOR'S ONLY - MUST HAVE A CHECKLIST TO PURCHASE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts

and what's a scummy dealing? what are these "crimes" that these dealers have committed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,820 posts
6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

who's to say that the non dealer isn't scummier.

They could be, but that's random.  Sounds like the OP is just trying to find a way to avoid a few local dealers he already dislikes...

Edited by Wolverinex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,255 posts
5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Maybe he should make a big sign (since he won't have a wall)

COLLECTOR'S ONLY - MUST HAVE A CHECKLIST TO PURCHASE

But he didn’t say he wouldn’t sell to dealers.  If you read the OP he says there are a couple dealers he doesn’t want to allow to pick him over.  A personal HOS if you will.

Edited by thunsicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,504 posts

Half the folks here are dealers, it's just that most aren't local to you. (My sad little 50 item store hardly qualifies me as anything but a junior flipper, despite my compulsive hoarder inventory.)

Edited by the blob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts

These are the ops words, it sounds to me like he'd prefer not to sell to any dealers

I'm having trouble pricing the books.  I know what things are worth, and I'd like to price on the low end, but I'm concerned about the dealers coming in and clearing out the bins before the doors open.  I know I should be happy just to make a sale, but I really dislike a few of the local guys. 

This next part explains why he doesn't like some of the local guys

They price sky high and don't offer deals, so I have no desire to feed them cheap books.  They don't want to develop a reciprocal relationship, they just pick the bones and move on.  The other dealers are decent joes that I have a good relationship with, but those few stinkers spoil it for everyone.  My "favorite" is a guy who lost his wife because he lives like a hoarder for comics.  His house is floor to ceiling boxes of drek in most rooms, because he doesn't sell anything.  He stocks comics at some of the local card stores, and charges 50-100% markup for run filler and keys alike, while complaining no one buys back issues.  He makes money off the weekly books, but he's in debt, so no deals to be had.

 

Once again he says dealers, not dealers he doesn't like

Everyone's display has to be completely set a half hour before doors open, so there's no avoiding dealers fishing around in my stuff before the show starts. 

 

Maybe I'm reading it wrong and he doesn't want to sell to those specific ones. If he doesn't then he should just say it to them. Excuse me but I'd prefer not to sell directly to you.

 

Edited by jsilverjanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts
10 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

But he didn’t say he wouldn’t sell to dealers.  If you read the OP he says there are a couple dealers he doesn’t want to allow to pick him over.  A personal HOS if you will.

see my post above. If that's the case then why not just tell them directly. Seems like a lot of work (and worry) to avoid a situation then just telling them directly, excuse me but I will not sell to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,820 posts
On 1/9/2019 at 12:17 AM, FineCollector said:

I'm expecting to set up a table for the first time at a small, local con in March.  I don't expect to do it regularly, I just hope to move enough volume that I don't have to do it again for a while!

I'm having trouble pricing the books.  I know what things are worth, and I'd like to price on the low end, but I'm concerned about the dealers coming in and clearing out the bins before the doors open.  I know I should be happy just to make a sale, but I really dislike a few of the local guys.  They price sky high and don't offer deals, so I have no desire to feed them cheap books.  They don't want to develop a reciprocal relationship, they just pick the bones and move on.  The other dealers are decent joes that I have a good relationship with, but those few stinkers spoil it for everyone.  My "favorite" is a guy who lost his wife because he lives like a hoarder for comics.  His house is floor to ceiling boxes of drek in most rooms, because he doesn't sell anything.  He stocks comics at some of the local card stores, and charges 50-100% markup for run filler and keys alike, while complaining no one buys back issues.  He makes money off the weekly books, but he's in debt, so no deals to be had.

The last show attracted a lot of novice collectors, and I hate that the city doesn't have a store with moderately priced back issues.  The locals end up buying anyway for lack of a better option, but it's not healthy for the market.  If I'm going to make space and clear out stuff, I'd like some control over who's getting it, and not just toss it into the air and walk away.  My ideal price is low enough to make customers happy, and high enough to prevent the books from getting vultured early, but that's not easy.  I can always deal down, but if I match the scummy dealer pricing on the sticker, that just makes my small booth unappealing.  I don't have a reputation as a seller, so I'd just be another overpriced jerk.

My strategy will be to forgo the wall of keys, and keep everything in the boxes.  I want people flipping through the bins to have the enjoyment of saying, "oh!  the keys are still in the run!" and give them the joyous feeling that they're getting to an untouched box (even though I've had my paws all over it!).  I'm hoping that'll entice some people to take some issues around the keys, because I'd do the same.  The key collectors are still going pick things out, but that's unavoidable.  Theft is more of a risk with this model, but I don't have anything over $200, so it's worth a shot.

Everyone's display has to be completely set a half hour before doors open, so there's no avoiding dealers fishing around in my stuff before the show starts.  If you seed your bins with deals, do you load them at the beginning of the show and hope they last, or refill as the show goes on?  I can't keep the boxes closed, or show up late, and there's a clause in the contract that selling is open to the public, so I can't tell anyone to go take a hike.  I don't want to ask for trade, because the local vultures don't have anything I want, and if they do, I'll get roasted by their ridiculous markup.

I'm not going to get my way, but I'm wondering what people think anyway.:foryou:

I still say.. don't sell anything before the doors open... make up some excuse.    Only sell after it opens, so at least everyone  (dealers and attendees) will get the same shot. 

OR just make it a ridiculous price in the beginning  20 bucks a comic... and drop it as soon as the doors open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,820 posts
3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

see my post above. If that's the case then why not just tell them directly. Seems like a lot of work (and worry) to avoid a situation then just telling them directly, excuse me but I will not sell to you.

That's a good thought too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts

Which then begs the question, "what would you do if someone declined your money, would you move on or send someone else". I'd move on. Plenty of other booths to spend my money.

Locally here there's a flipper who refuses to look through my boxes because he thinks he knows what I paid and that I got the deal instead of him. That seems silly to me. I try my best not to let personal feelings affect my business decisions. And that's what I find odd here. It sounds more like a personal decision than a business decision. The HOS and probation list are business decisions. My ebay blocked list is a business decision. 

The OP is of course able to decide to do business however he sees fit. I just find it odd that many of you seem to agree with him.

I'm going to reflect on this and take a look at what I maybe doing wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts
2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

That's a good thought too

isn't it the simplest recourse? seems like a lot of work (and potential loss of sales) by trying to avoid telling people he doesn't want to sell directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,820 posts
1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Which then begs the question, "what would you do if someone declined your money, would you move on or send someone else". I'd move on. Plenty of other booths to spend my money.

Locally here there's a flipper who refuses to look through my boxes because he thinks he knows what I paid and that I got the deal instead of him. That seems silly to me. I try my best not to let personal feelings affect my business decisions. And that's what I find odd here. It sounds more like a personal decision than a business decision. The HOS and probation list are business decisions. My ebay blocked list is a business decision. 

The OP is of course able to decide to do business however he sees fit. I just find it odd that many of you seem to agree with him.

I'm going to reflect on this and take a look at what I maybe doing wrong.

 

I guess I am  just annoyed at recent convention, where I was the 2nd person in line after waiting 1 hr. 

I just happened to reach a booth some older gentleman who had a TON of great keys for good prices (like 5-10 dollars)....   I was the earliest attendee at his booth but there was the dealer from 3 booths away who was already there with a HUGE stack... he essentially swooped in and bought up about 80 %  of the keys, asked for a dealer discount on top of it.  I ended up buying two comics and left the rest because I owned them.  

I was just annoyed when I got to that dealer's booth 15 mins later, I saw him resticker everything and put the exact comics on his wall at 40 -90 dollar markups.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,545 posts
Just now, Wolverinex said:

I guess I am  just annoyed at recent convention, where I was the 2nd person in line after waiting 1 hr. 

I just happened to reach a booth some older gentleman who had a TON of great keys for good prices (like 5-10 dollars)....   I was the earliest attendee at his booth but there was the dealer from 3 booths away who was already there with a HUGE stack... he essentially swooped in and bought up about 80 %  of the keys, asked for a dealer discount on top of it.  I ended up buying two comics and left the rest because I owned them.  

I was just annoyed when I got to that dealer's booth 15 mins later, I saw him resticker everything and put the exact comics on his wall at 40 -90 dollar markups.

 

 

I get it. I'm sure many folks feel the same here. I wonder if you hadn't seen the dealer buy them would you have felt the same. I'm sure every booth I go to, has already been picked, but usually I find something that is missed. There's so many books out there. As a seller I like making the sale, it's hard not to take the money (in that moment). I'd like to wait for the attendees to show up and buy the books but many times they don't show up or don't spend as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,820 posts
8 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I get it. I'm sure many folks feel the same here. I wonder if you hadn't seen the dealer buy them would you have felt the same. I'm sure every booth I go to, has already been picked, but usually I find something that is missed. There's so many books out there. As a seller I like making the sale, it's hard not to take the money (in that moment). I'd like to wait for the attendees to show up and buy the books but many times they don't show up or don't spend as much.

I totally get where you are coming from.  A sale is a sale...

it just sucks though that the best sales go to some dealers  even before the attendees have WALKED into the room (they don't even have a shot)...  so I applaud the OP @FineCollector on at least thinking about this situation. 

I'm sure a lot of comic  convention attendees don't even realize this is happening.  I wouldn't have until this last experience...  Ignorance is bliss.

Edited by Wolverinex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,879 posts
11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I'm a run collector approaching this from what I'd want to see as a buyer.  I'm more likely to pay full price for run books if there are keys I still need in there, because I have the privilege of clearing out my want list all at once.  Once your bin is down to the leftovers, I'm less likely to pay top dollar: no one wants what's left, so I'm in no hurry to buy them, and I'll still be left hunting the same book that everyone else wants.

My priority is to sell books and make space, but not necessarily to maximize profit.  I really just don't want to get ransacked before the show opens, and have to stand behind sorry looking bins for an afternoon.  If I get to give good deals to nice people, and maybe stick it to a two-faced opportunist of a dealer, I consider that a very good day.

 

@jsilverjanet I don't think you need to re-evaluate too hard.  You seem to have a healthy attitude about selling.  There is a lot of sour grape replies here.  Sad to see.  Even the OP wants to "stick it" to the dealers.  Just sad.  Price your items at a level you are comfortable and then don't fret the rest.  Once it is sold it is no longer yours so why worry about what the new owner is dong with the items?

To try and get into the mind of buyer and only want to sell to "nice people" is crazy.  I was at the Penn show a very long time ago.  I was going through a dealer's table and pulled out some Batman books.  Nothing was priced and I asked how much?  As the dealer was pricing them, the buyer next to me was loosely stating to anyone that would listen that I was basically cherry picking and that the dealer should price the books higher.  I just gave the guy a dirty look.  What business is it of his what I purchase?  The dealer gave me some prices and I purchased the book which still sit in my collection today. I am sure that the buyer next to me was just pissed that he didn't get there first or perhaps he assumed I was a flipper.  Honestly, it is no ones business about that transaction except for me and the dealer.

 

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Which then begs the question, "what would you do if someone declined your money, would you move on or send someone else". I'd move on. Plenty of other booths to spend my money.

Locally here there's a flipper who refuses to look through my boxes because he thinks he knows what I paid and that I got the deal instead of him. That seems silly to me. I try my best not to let personal feelings affect my business decisions. And that's what I find odd here. It sounds more like a personal decision than a business decision. The HOS and probation list are business decisions. My ebay blocked list is a business decision. 

The OP is of course able to decide to do business however he sees fit. I just find it odd that many of you seem to agree with him.

I'm going to reflect on this and take a look at what I maybe doing wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,661 posts

Holy crow, jsilver went full Kav on my thread, with RMA dressing on the side! lol 

Yes, personal decisions are my primary motivation.  I'm not treating this as a business venture.  The promoter advertised well the last time, and I overheard a lot of new buyers saying "wow, look at all the comics!"  Those are people I feel strongly that we experienced collectors should help along, to ensure the future health of our hobby.  Ottawa's a tough place to do anything but buy new off the stands.  @spreads gets it, but few other locals do. Long story short, I hope to meet some of these happy people and help contribute to a positive con experience.

I'm loving the discussion, so thank you for all the advice and kind words so far.  I'm going to have to set up a stand, or get a booth with a wall, there's a lot of experienced guys saying that's the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,949 posts
15 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

you were very nice to that client, but it is entirely possible the customer thought you simply found the book in your own inventory, she was surprised because she saw how thorough you were the first time, and simply thanked you for including the book with her original purchase...she is likely completely unaware that you made the effort to find it at another dealers booth and paid for it.

Still, most people would ask "how much?" rather than just take it.

@RCheli I had the EXACT same reaction to your story as @Artboy99

If I were in the customer's place and you said to me "I found the issue for you" in reference to the book we had been looking for in your booth earlier, I would have had no idea that you went to the trouble of buying the book from another vendor.  Of course, I'd say "Thank you" and expect to pay for it, but there was a bit of ambiguity going on in your statement.  Of course, maybe you were paraphrasing.

In any case, the ambiguity wouldn't be enough for me to just grab the comic and walk away without saying anything.  She sounds like an odd duck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,744 posts
1 hour ago, Turtle said:

@RCheli I had the EXACT same reaction to your story as @Artboy99

If I were in the customer's place and you said to me "I found the issue for you" in reference to the book we had been looking for in your booth earlier, I would have had no idea that you went to the trouble of buying the book from another vendor.  Of course, I'd say "Thank you" and expect to pay for it, but there was a bit of ambiguity going on in your statement.  Of course, maybe you were paraphrasing.

In any case, the ambiguity wouldn't be enough for me to just grab the comic and walk away without saying anything.  She sounds like an odd duck. 

I don't know the exact conversation between her and me (it was many months ago), but I'm sure it wasn't as ambiguous as how I described it here. 

If I were that customer, however, the first thing I would have said is, "Wow! Great! How much?" Since I paid all of 50 cents for it, I would've just given it to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,173 posts
10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

most bad buyers here are due to bad experiences, hard for that to happen when the buyer is paying you cash and the transaction is completed

That's why I said selling in person mitigates most of those factors. I don't care what anyone does with a comic after I sell it - flip it for 5x or burn it. I don't care.

At a con in Atlanta several years ago, a buyer started haggling with me. He started at something like 10% of my ask. I politely declined. Over the next 10-15 minutes he kept throwing out ridiculous offer after offer. His final offers actually included a small stack of coupons for a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich. I think I had to have someone walk him away from my booth as I asked him to leave several times. If he had come back to my booth and wanted to pay full price, I would have refused to sell. Not worth the drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6