• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Todd McFarlane steal Steve Geigers swag?

68 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, philsbackpack said:

My theory is that it could be McFarlane inks.

He was / is a great inker.

Just adding his inks could add a bit of the style earmarks that most of us have been noticing.

Also wouldn't be completely unusual for him during this time-frame to ink over someone else.

That’s an interesting observation.  I can certainly buy that explanation.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Talked to Todd this weekend about this cover. He had an interesting observation to make. I'll do a little research, and maybe share what he said after I do.

Waiting with baited breath here.  He had to have worked on it in some capacity.

12 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Anybody that knows McLeod's inks can plainly see they are all his inks. I thought you experienced art collectors knew your art, but it looks like you really don't.

Why are you responding like this?  Who in here has presented themselves as "experienced art collectors?"  It's fun to discuss.  Aren't you the "One Minute Later" guy?  Obviously you have a lot of art knowledge, but you don't have to be a tool.  I'd like to do a OML commission of this thread with you gone from it.  

51 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Why are you responding like this?  Who in here has presented themselves as "experienced art collectors?"  It's fun to discuss.  Aren't you the "One Minute Later" guy?  Obviously you have a lot of art knowledge, but you don't have to be a tool.  I'd like to do a OML commission of this thread with you gone from it.  

you've got the wrong Michael here. I believe OML is Finn.

20 minutes ago, Bird said:

you've got the wrong Michael here. I believe OML is Finn.

My bad.  I would still commission that OML though.  Apologies to the real OML dude.

Edited by seanfingh
typo

18 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I don't understand what the big mystery is.

"Hey Todd, did you work on this Hulk cover"?

The answer is either yes or no.

Talk about starved for attention.

I highly doubt if he inked this cover. They would not be sending a cover to have an unexperienced penciller work on this; not Marvel in 1988.

Looking at GCD, the first time McFarlane inked a cover over someone else's pencils was the cover to New Mutants #85, doing finishes over Leifeld. He did not ink that Hulk.

13 hours ago, Logan510 said:
On 1/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, chrisco37 said:

I don't understand what the big mystery is.

"Hey Todd, did you work on this Hulk cover"?

The answer is either yes or no.

Talk about starved for attention.

Why do you feel the need to try to provoke fights? What is wrong with you? 

The answer was NEITHER yes nor no, because Todd couldn't remember the piece. 

He DID, however, make an interesting observation, which I might share after I do some more research. If you don't care...keep your callous comments to yourself and find somewhere else to be.

12 hours ago, RCheli said:

I highly doubt if he inked this cover. They would not be sending a cover to have an unexperienced penciller work on this; not Marvel in 1988.

Looking at GCD, the first time McFarlane inked a cover over someone else's pencils was the cover to New Mutants #85, doing finishes over Leifeld. He did not ink that Hulk.

hm

Todd had two years' steady work as a penciler prior to this book (which was published in April of 1987.)

McFarlane inked his own work starting with issue #340, 7 issues after #333.

He also inked Detective #578, which was published only 2 months after Hulk #333, and it is quite clear from that issue that McFarlane had his fully developed style, as the entire book is classic McFarlane, of the quality of his Amazing Spiderman run.

So, I don't know that the first time he inked someone else's work on the cover is indicative of much. He was essentially done with his Amazing run when NM #85 was published.

3 hours ago, RCheli said:

Inking your own cover is one thing. Inking over another artist is another. 

Can we just agree that he had nothing to do with any Hulk cover penciled by Geiger? 

Did Geiger say he did it? I find it odd that Mcfarlane can't recall if he had anything to do with it. Granted, it was 30 years ago, but it's not like he has a body of work like Kirby or Byrne.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:16 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why do you feel the need to try to provoke fights? What is wrong with you? 

The answer was NEITHER yes nor no, because Todd couldn't remember the piece. 

He DID, however, make an interesting observation, which I might share after I do some more research. If you don't care...keep your callous comments to yourself and find somewhere else to be.

Why not just share the observation? Maybe if there's some research that that observation might spark can be split amongst others who are interested?

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Why not just share the observation? Maybe if there's some research that that observation might spark can be split amongst others who are interested?

Exactly, right? I mean, if Todd can't even remember anything about this cover, what is there to share? And, why put it on here that he might share after he does more research? What research is needed? Go ask Geiger and McLeod. They will tell you exactly who drew this cover -- they did. No doubt about it. He's just wanting everyone's attention (and we sure have given it to him with all our followup comments). Must have been a slow night over in the other forums.

Anyone who knows anything about comic art can pick out McLeod's inks and Geiger's pencils are very easy to identify -- especially when the editorial assignment notes at the bottom clearly state who drew this cover. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, Michael Browning said:

Anybody that knows McLeod's inks can plainly see they are all his inks. I thought you experienced art collectors knew your art, but it looks like you really don't.

The artwork of the woman on the ground screams Bob McLeod.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, Michael Browning said:

Anyone who knows anything about comic art can pick out McLeod's inks and Geiger's pencils are very easy to identify -- especially when the editorial assignment notes at the bottom clearly state who drew this cover. 

Ipso facto :eyeroll: