• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sea Hunt comic stories any good?

7 posts in this topic

I get up super early because I'm not right in the head. At 3:30am here in Los Angeles there is some kinda cheap-o free tv station that runs old programs like Highway Patrol, Peter Gunn (amazing cinematography BTW) , The Joey Bishop Show  and Sea Hunt in between commercials for lawyers scrounging up class action lawsuits for users of anything and everything from Round-up to Methotrexate. There's also a Hover Round commercial sprinkled here and there, some with trailers for the grandkids. (There appears to be no class action lawsuits regarding them yet) Anyways.... I've really gotten into enjoying Sea Hunt. I'm a scuba diver and it was shot partially in San Pedro, pretty decent underwater photography and it's kinda good in a dumb way. I'm aware of the Sea Hunt comic but hate photo covers so have never given it any mind. I'm curious if anyone has read any issues and is the art and stories inside any good?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I get up super early because I'm not right in the head.

I go to bed super late because I too am not right in the head.  :foryou:

I also watch those classic re-run shows while I putter around with junk, my faves being the (gorgeous) Donna Reed Show and Route 66, which are fairly well written beat generation fare (although I think they are on the actual Route 66 about 3% of the time!). As for the comics, I've read a few of the Sea Hunt Four Colors, and, while it was years ago, I didn't find them memorable. Perhaps I should revisit one to see if it looks any different through my current lens. 

Route 66 is also well photographed. Thanks for your answer. Perhaps I can get more responses if I rephrase my question re: Sea Hunt comics:

Are Sea Hunt comics worth any money? Can I buy them cheap and flip 'em fast? What are the keys? What do they go for in 9.8?

Edited by NoMan

I have never heard that. Whereas, say, back in the 80s there were a few people always looking for something like Red Ryder and the like. There are things that aren't cool now that were cool back then but I've never heard that Sea Hunt was one of them. I think all Dell stuff is pretty decent though.

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Route 66 is also well photographed. Thanks for your answer. Perhaps I can get more responses if I rephrase my question re: Sea Hunt comics:

Are Sea Hunt comics worth any money? Can I buy them cheap and flip 'em fast? What are the keys? What do they go for in 9.8?

9.8 is a rarified grade indeed for a Dell comic from the late '50s.  For instance, this 9.2 copy of Four Color #1041 I used to own is 1 of 3 at the top of the census.  I suspect a 9.4 or better copy would fetch some decent coin at a major auction house.  This one was bought and then sold years later for under $100.

FC1041sale.thumb.jpg.5151b5cc61e539042ae760d7a88ad7d5.jpg

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

9.8 is a rarified grade indeed for a Dell comic from the late '50s.  For instance, this 9.2 copy of Four Color #1041 I used to own is 1 of 3 at the top of the census.  I suspect a 9.4 or better copy would fetch some decent coin at a major auction house.  This one was bought and then sold years later for under $100.

FC1041sale.thumb.jpg.5151b5cc61e539042ae760d7a88ad7d5.jpg

thanks. I guess Sea Hunt fell out of favor, hence it being on a cheap free-channel tv station ay 3am. Maybe if they brought it back with variant covers and angry letters from the House of Un American Activities 

Edited by NoMan