• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail Piece Finally Acquired-ROM Spaceknight
1 1

29 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I think it's awful and definitely ruins the piece for me. Same as all the others he's signed similarly.

Glaring. Made my eyes bleed, but only a little so don't call 911! Seriously though, I didn't post on this because I didn't want to be the debbie downer in OP's thread. So now I am, and OP probably doesn't care anyway. Too bad Sal has such bad taste though. It really is awful.

Trust me: I wish Sal wouldn’t sign his name inside every freaking page he got back. When I first paid attention to the fact that his name rests inside the live area of every piece of art he ever laid pencils on, I lost weeks of sleep. I’ve only seen one page untouched by his John Hancock, and it’s probably because it belonged to his inker. Just saying that I don’t notice it anymore because it’s simply a fact of life I accepted. My therapist made me understand that as well as my sleep coach. 

13 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I didn't even notice the signature on first viewing.  I think the fact that there are so many effect lines helps it not be a distraction.  If it was empty space with the signature thrown in there, I'd maybe have a mild issue (mild only because of the grail nature of the art).  Huge congrats on what I can see is a great piece of art, and I've never read a Rom comic in my life.  He was in a Hulk issue once, as a guest at Rick and Marlo's wedding, but that was as close as it ever got I think.

Didn't no notice it either and had to go back to look where it was. Beautiful piece of art, signature and all!

20 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Incidentally, I see that nobody commented on Sal's signature being right in the middle of the art. That was something he did for a long time (I have a title splash by Sal that he also signed inside the art). Becase this is his standard OP, I assume this doesn't diminish the value? Granted, this is a legit grail piece. But still...

If you're talking about the piece with the signature almost in the center of the page, I wouldn't lose sleep over it as its the all-stat page. The original art splash with the signature under the feet is fine.  As long as it was added at the creation of the page.  I don't understand why people ask the artists to sign a published image years later after the fact. Then the piece is altered from its original published form.

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

I don't understand why people ask the artists to sign a published image years later after the fact. Then the piece is altered from its original published form.

Yes. Not only that it's redundant. The art itself is the signature.

Now again, re: Sal, some folks want to escalate his work to a rather lofty plane, but the man himself...with those ill-placed Sharpie signatures banged out immediately upon getting the art back from the publisher, ready to spread out on a table at the next show...clearly it's all product to him. Who am I to disagree with Sal?

I collect art, not product. I don't need any signatures. Ever.

I am in awe and in shock !!!! This would be in my top 2 or 3 pieces of original comic art that I would trade almost anything for !!!

ROM was right in my wheelhouse when I was about 11-13 years old , read and collected everything up until about issue 50. I was able to get a Milgrom piece not too long ago, but i’ve been outbid on a couple covers and inner pages of several books so far this past year — had no clue this splash existed!

thank you so much for sharing major congrats to you, you are one very lucky Rom fan!!

Fish

On 1/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Hi all,
I normally don't make a big deal out of my purchases but thought I'd share it with you all since it was a grail piece for me. One I never thought I'd actually own. I've been sitting on this piece for some weeks now and have debated showing for reasons often talked about on the boards before but figured it's better to show what you own than hiding it away wondering if it even exists. I also want to give my thanks to boardies who helped and gave me advice during the purchase. You know who you are and what piece it is. :wink:

For those who don't, it's a grail I never thought I would actually ever own. The title splash page to the first ever issue of ROM Spaceknight! 

The artwork itself is actually 3 different pages. The original art which was drawn by Sal Buscema, with another page he did being nothing but the three panels that depict ROM crashing to Earth in the published image. Both those pieces had their images taken and were turned into stats which were used to make a stat only third page which was used as the published image. All of which you can see below.

Hide contents

1067708082_ROMSpaceKnight1pg.1page.thumb.png.f298241fb4da11b10ac93ba49815c331.png

704342062_ROMSpaceKnight1pg.1TitleSplashPublishedStates.thumb.png.eb070eb2a9b33a38a7c423d69fabfc6a.png

1235662305_RomSpaceKnight1pg.1TitleSplashoriginal.thumb.png.e7f91a41865c0451289edc4ee75c6820.png

this is SPECTACULAR! what a great score , getting the OA and the stat page. one of the most memorable ROM images ever!