• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen comics
3 3

78 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

In a private plane. Possibly.

If you own a private plane why on earth would you need to break into storage lockers and steal stuff !?

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

If you own a private plane why on earth would you need to break into storage lockers and steal stuff !?

Drug Cartels depend on the private planes for transporting drugs. There is a plane rental in the same town.  It's perfect getaway.

Never know where the books are going now.  Hopefully all books are recovered quickly before going into the oblivion.

Terrible story, I hope all the books are recovered. 
A private plane does not sound all that far fetched, there are lots of them in the area.   I probably watched "It Takes a Thief" too many times, but no one really knows how people afford things

On 1/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 1/13/2019 at 4:04 AM, bluechip said:

people forget that Oz is basically the size of our contiguous 48.   Western Europeans grow up thinking that a few hours in any direction will get you to a whole other country,.

Blame the Wizard. 'Just up the road' he said...

Avoid the poppy fields or you may never get there.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:27 PM, 1webslinger said:

Did anyone see this story,  $1,400,000 Worth of Batman Comics Stolen From Storage Unit - Bleeding Cool
https://apple.news/AIG6F6ZvnRVKtCTCdNtHgBQ

He had the number one registry sets for both Batman and Detective? I don't follow registry sets closely, but that sounds impressive.

I hope he had them insured, although I don't know whether an insurance company would have signed off on his storing them that way.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 1/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, JollyComics said:

In a private plane. Possibly.

How do you think he makes the payments on the plane? :baiting:

Just now, Sqeggs said:

He had the number one registry sets for both Batman and Detective? I don't follow registry sets closely, but that sounds impressive.

Hmm ... if any number of big shots ( Eric Roberts et al ) were to re-register their books ( like they did in the past ), they would blow his registry sets out of the water all the way to the moon.

Just now, Gotham Kid said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Hmm ... if any number of big shots ( Eric Roberts et al ) were to re-register their books ( like they did in the past ), they would blow his registry sets out of the water all the way to the moon.

Yeah, I haven't done registry sets but I had the impression that some of them aren't actually among the best collections.  Cheetahs were certainly impressive, though, and I'm sure there are others that are the best collections around. 

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Although there is no denying he has nice books, he ranks #1 by quantity, not quality in both GA Detective and Batman registries.

Don't they assign points on some basis? I don't really understand how it works, but I've seen people grousing about the points not properly reflecting scarcity or grade or something. 

13 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

If you new what books I have :whistle: That you don't know I have hm That I do have :hi: you would want to have them :cry:

funny-moon-cartoon-Star-Wars-lightsaber-1.jpg

34 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
39 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Although there is no denying he has nice books, he ranks #1 by quantity, not quality in both GA Detective and Batman registries.

Don't they assign points on some basis? I don't really understand how it works, but I've seen people grousing about the points not properly reflecting scarcity or grade or something.

Points are assigned to books generally on a value/scarcity/importance scale. A lot of books are incorrectly reflected in the registry point wise, so people ask for updates. Constant update requests to garbage like the Walking Dead I will never understand though. :facepalm: All in all the registry is fun. Brilliant marketing strategy by CGC.

If the owner of the Detective 27 9.2 were to register that single book, that book alone would dwarf the total amount of registry points the theft victim has accumulated. Actually he would probably rank in the top 10 positions overall with just 1 book.

Doug Schmell ranked #1 overall for several years with his super high grade SA, until a boardie briefly registered his books that completely destroyed Schmell's ranking. This to say that there are people out the there with killer collections that if they registered would certainly outshine the likes of the guy who's collection was stolen. "#1 registry sets" -- all very relative.

Edited by Gotham Kid