• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen comics
3 3

78 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

He had the number one registry sets for both Batman and Detective? I don't follow registry sets closely, but that sounds impressive.

I hope he had them insured, although I don't know whether an insurance company would have signed off on his storing them that way.

His collection was very impressive. It looks like at some point he decided to settle for lower grade stuff to finish the set, maybe with a plan to upgrade later. This is all assumptions on my part. 

14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Points are assigned to books generally on a value/scarcity/importance scale. A lot of books are incorrectly reflected in the registry point wise, so people ask for updates. Constant update requests to garbage like the Walking Dead I will never understand though. :facepalm: All in all the registry is fun. Brilliant marketing strategy by CGC.

If the owner of the Detective 27 9.2 were to register that single book, that book alone would dwarf the total amount of registry points the theft victim has accumulated. Actually he would probably rank in the top 10 positions overall with just 1 book.

Doug Schmell ranked #1 overall for several years with his super high grade SA, until a boardie briefly registered his books that completely destroyed Schmell's ranking. This to say that there are people out the there with killer collections that if they registered would certainly outshine the likes of the guy who's collection was stolen. "#1 registry sets" -- all very relative.

With only 3 books, Cap #1, AA #16 & MC #1, Verzyl could be ranked #1 with over 6,000,000 points.

Now, add in the other 10,000+ books in the collection... you get the idea!

Edited by Timely

15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

He had the number one registry sets for both Batman and Detective? I don't follow registry sets closely, but that sounds impressive.

Hmm ... if any number of big shots ( Eric Roberts et al ) were to re-register their books ( like they did in the past ), they would blow his registry sets out of the water all the way to the moon.

Are you saying that you have to update your personal registry every year or so in order to keep your Registry active?  ???

Florida man Phillip Weisbauer was arrested in Phoeniz, Arizona after trying to sell four comics worth an estimated $97,000 to a local comic book shop.

The comic books were stolen from a Boca Raton, Florida resident.

Any other updates on this? Where are the rest of the comics?

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/phx-pd-florida-man-tries-to-sell-stolen-comic-books-worth-nearly-100-000

Edited by circumstances

Say what you want about CGC but having your books registered by number and then scanned front and back makes them nearly pointless to steal and then try to sell.  Unique numbering goes a long way towards establishing ownership.  When mine were stolen, one thing I didn’t have to do was convince the police they were mine.  I just gave them a printout of my spreadsheet and they matched them up one by one.

i hope the guy gets back the rest of his collection.

What I heard locally was that thief did in fact try to sell the books without even removing them from their slabs.

Pretty dumb thing to do... guess the guy didn’t know much about comics.

Edited by szavisca

32 minutes ago, szavisca said:

What I head locally was that thief did in fact try to sell the books without even removing them from their slabs.

Pretty dumb thing to do... guess the guy didn’t know much about comics.

Hopefully he'll learn a lot about prison

9 hours ago, cheetah said:

Say what you want about CGC but having your books registered by number and then scanned front and back makes them nearly pointless to steal and then try to sell.  Unique numbering goes a long way towards establishing ownership.  When mine were stolen, one thing I didn’t have to do was convince the police they were mine.  I just gave them a printout of my spreadsheet and they matched them up one by one.

I keep scans of all my books, so I can always retrieve the numbers should the need arise.  But your post makes me think I should also keep the CGC numbers in my hard copy records, like you.

17 hours ago, cheetah said:

Of course that presupposes thieves will try to resell them in the original slabs.   It will strike terror into the hearts of many here but there's nothing To Stop a Thief from untimely ripping a book from its tomb and then selling it raw or just having it reslabbed so it gets a different number.