• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deodato Elektra Cover on Ebay
1 1

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

Deodato's Elektra cover final bid was just shy of $9,000

Any thoughts?

Cool cover.  I was tempted to bid (though, certainly nowhere near where it ended up), but, I was wary of whether it was really the original or a recreation, as the signature box was in a slightly different location than the published cover and I have seen line-for-line recreations that Deodato has done of his published work before.  It's possible that the box with his signature was moved for publication, but, it's not something I wanted to take a chance on.     

4 hours ago, wurstisart said:

The final bid is probably 3 times of what I would have guessed it to be.

My thoughts also. Also, I asked the seller for additional photos that showed the complete piece of art (to all edges) and the backside and was ignored which ultimately didn't matter since it closed so far above what I would have bid.

1 minute ago, NinjaSealed said:

@Panelfan1 congrats!

Cool piece. My thoughts were $6k ish don’t think the price was that crazy.

having spoken with friends ahead of closing. that was also my expected win #.  bidders with high ebay counts (into the thousands) bid it higher. as the French say - C'est la vie.

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

So I was hoping to post about this once I got the art -but as a thread started - I wanted to chime in.  My feeling is that this is the original art, but until I have it in hand I can't say 100%.  below are some images. note the comic cover had a bunch of text -which would make sense that the signature would have been moved. If I were doing a recreation based on the cover that came out at the time - the signature would not have moved.  also the original cover is 'low resolution' compared to the more recent trade art. So I included that - even though it is a photo that is angled/skewed.  The lines match up well for me.  As this is still fresh - if anyone here on the boards has evidence this is not the real deal, please let me know so I can return it.  Hopefully it's legit. 

with respect to price - as always I am open to discussion.  I also expected it to be way way lower, but by the time it came to the end - a number of other bidders had pushed it up. If anyone feels there was impropriety, let me know.  Again - seemed legit to me.   Over the years I have lost a ton of auctions. I even started a thread about feeling good about losing some of them (which many here misunderstood as being about regret- the complete opposite of what I was trying to say in that thread. ha ha.)  The question I have learned to ask myself these days when bidding on anything is -not just what do I think a piece is worth (because values change all the time)  -but rather if a pieces sells at x$ would I still want it or would I want the money more. I bid and if I lose above x$ I feel good because that was indeed my max and now I can mentally move on without regrets. In the end -this particular cover was a bucket list item for me. I didn't buy it as an item to flip.

el.jpg

elektra color.jpg

elektra.jpg

Are you saying you paid almost $ 9,000.00 dollars
and not sure this is the original cover?

11 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Are you saying you paid almost $ 9,000.00 dollars
and not sure this is the original cover?

i am saying that prior to this thread I was absolutely 100% sure -but as the thread popped up (there was talk at start of this thread about the placement of the signature) - I figured it was best practice to address the issue by the horn. that is - by talking about it - if any of you other art experts come up with a reason that this is not the original - it would be good to know right away so I can lay a claim. I suspect it is the original -but on the 0.001% chance its not - there is no better way to dig up any issues than to let fans here go to task on it. I love the knowledge and the passion here. talking about stuff is the way to go.  For those who are deodato fans - Romitaman had a cover not long ago for a different issue in this run. he sold it as unpublished as there were some discrepancies with the published art. the buyer asked Deodato about it and Deodato confirmed that it was in fact the published art and that some alterations happened after the fact. I am looking into that as well  -but again - prior to this thread I didn't have a single doubt about authenticity. I had many doubts about the value. ha ha.  hopefully time will prove this a wise pick up.

Edited by Panelfan1

9 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

i am saying that prior to this thread I was absolutely 100% sure -but as the thread popped up (there was talk at start of this thread about the placement of the signature) - I figured it was best practice to address the issue by the horn. that is - by talking about it - if any of you other art experts come up with a reason that this is not the original - it would be good to know right away so I can lay a claim. I suspect it is the original -but on the 0.001% chance its not - there is no better way to dig up any issues than to let fans here go to task on it. I love the knowledge and the passion here. talking about stuff is the way to go.  For those who are deodato fans - Romitaman had a cover not long ago for a different issue in this run. he sold it as unpublished as there were some discrepancies with the published art. the buyer asked Deodato about it and Deodato confirmed that it was in fact the published art and that some alterations happened after the fact. I am looking into that as well  -but again - prior to this thread I didn't have a single doubt about authenticity. I had many doubts about the value. ha ha.  hopefully time will prove this a wise pick up.

for that much its worth asking Deodato, right?