• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outbreak of Shaken Comic Syndrome
3 3

182 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's my take on maybe why this is happening more of late. The design of the original new slab used tremendous pressure to hold the book in place. There was no inner well for the book to move around in with the thought that would solve some SCS problems. It turned out the longer term effect of this pressure caused the 'creep engine' effect with the comics sustaining damage. So, CGC brings back the inner well in the new slab design. This worked BUT, we now had the Newton Ring effect from the inner well pressing against slab. Never bothered me but most balked at this effect. So now, it appears, they have fixed the Newton Ring problem by having the inner well more loose in the slab. Now, the inner well is swimming and SCS is back.   

I prefer the Newton Rings vs damaging my comic.

Update: CGC has just finished reviewing a previous book that was sent back with SCS and agreed to reimburse me for the book.  CGC is a very reputable company in my book and gets 5 stars.

Now I have to have them review this latest batch.  Wait until they get a load of these.

DSC_1987.JPG

DSC_1988.JPG

Edited by spidermanbeyond

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's pretty obvious to me. I don't think the book was manufactured this way. The cover is sticking to the inner well while the insides are moving down. I have seen it and experienced it. Not a good candidate for tapping it back into place either. I would send it back to CGC. in the meantime, store the book flat. 

Agree, it just seems weird to me.  The comic cover seems twisted in person; like the back cover is stuck and the rest of the comic has shifted lower.  The lower part of the comic also juts down a little lower on one side.   Anyway I contacted CGC and they have been responsive.  I will send them high resolution photos with better images because the photos I've posted here aren't the best. 

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't see anything unusual about the book or the slab from these images. (shrug)

It's pretty obvious to me. I don't think the book was manufactured this way. The cover is sticking to the inner well while the insides are moving down. I have seen it and experienced it. Not a good candidate for tapping it back into place either. I would send it back to CGC. in the meantime, store the book flat. 

I disagree. I have lots of (raw) books that look similar. It may not be common, but it happens.

The OP's books are a very different story.

I have two comics that have miswraps and the overhang  is the same thickness across the top cover.. with my 266, the back cover is completely aligned at the top left corner and slowly the back overhang gets worse as it gets to the top right corner like its stuck to the inner well.. that issue plus the bottom right front cover jutting lower than the bottom left corner in the slab just seems odd to me.(shrug) 

The photos of the bottom don't show this as well because they were taken in the myler bags... but in person its pretty off.

Edited by Wolverinex

Here are photos of the bottom where the back cover is slightly higher from the rest of the book (and the front cover juts out at the bottom).  Its the reverse from the top right corner.   So the back cover is stuck to the inner well which slightly twists the comic.  It's not miscut because if it wasn't twisted, the back cover would perfectly align with the front.  Thanks  @Bomber-Bob

4563987120209995014.thumb.jpg.b7f188ff7db188b8c31bef2366dfe542.jpg1047667073_ScreenShot2019-01-11at9_04_30AM.thumb.png.dfe2ca1c04ee8773e55064d0258b1f27.png7390337098339439300.thumb.jpg.b3037f602acfc3e820af24e0f3f5cc37.jpg

Edited by Wolverinex

On 1/9/2019 at 10:18 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

CGC will want this book back to review damaged and see if it can be fixed.  How in the world can you reverse the tears and this much damage?

Maybe they will swap it out for a new one that looks identical before the SCS...like my mom did once to Alf, my childhood pet hamster.

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's my take on maybe why this is happening more of late. The design of the original new slab used tremendous pressure to hold the book in place. There was no inner well for the book to move around in with the thought that would solve some SCS problems. It turned out the longer term effect of this pressure caused the 'creep engine' effect with the comics sustaining damage. So, CGC brings back the inner well in the new slab design. This worked BUT, we now had the Newton Ring effect from the inner well pressing against slab. Never bothered me but most balked at this effect. So now, it appears, they have fixed the Newton Ring problem by having the inner well more loose in the slab. Now, the inner well is swimming and SCS is back.   

Gawd...I hope not. :(

19 minutes ago, newshane said:

Gawd...I hope not. :(

HaHa, yes, I hope not either but it sure appears something is wrong. It could be new people in the encapsulation room. It could be there is no more QC. As crazy at that sounds, maybe they pulled the QC employees to grade or encapsulate. I think they are trying hard to meet their TAT and it is affecting the product produced. The marketplace wants detailed notes on every book and faster TAT's. I was never a fan of simply hiring more employees as s solution as I feel the quality of the grading will suffer. I think the current staff is just pulled in too many directions. I do think the Boards should ease up on things like Newton Rings. In hindsight, that was a minor problem, annoying but minor. These examples of SCS are much more serious.

HaHa, yes, I hope not either but it sure appears something is wrong. It could be new people in the encapsulation room. It could be there is no more QC. As crazy at that sounds, maybe they pulled the QC employees to grade or encapsulate. I think they are trying hard to meet their TAT and it is affecting the product produced. The marketplace wants detailed notes on every book and faster TAT's. I was never a fan of simply hiring more employees as s solution as I feel the quality of the grading will suffer. I think the current staff is just pulled in too many directions. I do think the Boards should ease up on things like Newton Rings. In hindsight, that was a minor problem, annoying but minor. These examples of SCS are much more serious.

I have gotten 4 boxes back in the last 2 months since they "fixed" the Newton ring problem. No SCS at all and they were all Copper/Bronze books. I think we have a situation where the OP got very unlucky and the shipper dropped that box off a building or something. Nothing is foolproof. I don't think this is some new trend. 

I did have 2 books (1 minor and 1 severe) out of 25 in my previous box and now 12 out of 25 books in this box which is ridiculous.  The box appeared not damaged in both cases.  I hope it is an isolated incidence.  I did not have any problems before.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

39 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

I did have 2 books (1 minor and 1 severe) out of 25 in my previous box and now 12 out of 25 books in this box which is ridiculous.  The box appeared not damaged in both cases.  I hope it is an isolated incidence.  I did not have any problems before.

If the box was dropped straight down and landed evenly on a side, it would likely not show damage. It usually only shows damage when a corner is impacted. But a straight down drop that wouldn't damage the box would still force the books inside to move with the inertia of the impact and cause what you are describing. 12 out of 25 books in one box tells me that the box suffered a severe impact. It's just too many books damaged for it to be normal SCS.

Edited by LordRahl
typo

1 minute ago, LordRahl said:

If the box was dropped straight down and landed evenly on a side, it would likely not show damage. It usually only shows damage when is a corner is impacted. But a straight down drop that wouldn't damage the box would still force the books inside to move with the inertia of the impact and cause what you are describing. 12 out of 25 books in one box tells me that the box suffered a severe impact. It's just too many books damaged for it to be normal SCS.

This is a true statement.  A package may be abused without evidence of actual impact. 

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Here are photos of the bottom where the back cover is slightly higher from the rest of the book (and the front cover juts out at the bottom).  Its the reverse from the top right corner.   So the back cover is stuck to the inner well which slightly twists the comic.  It's not miscut because if it wasn't twisted, the back cover would perfectly align with the front.  Thanks  @Bomber-Bob

4563987120209995014.thumb.jpg.b7f188ff7db188b8c31bef2366dfe542.jpg1047667073_ScreenShot2019-01-11at9_04_30AM.thumb.png.dfe2ca1c04ee8773e55064d0258b1f27.png7390337098339439300.thumb.jpg.b3037f602acfc3e820af24e0f3f5cc37.jpg

I still haven't seen anything that suggests the slab is causing the problem you think you see.

Update.  Just got another batch of comics 25 books.  No Shaken Comics Syndromes books but 4 cracked slabs thanks to UPS.  Looks like a shipping problem that I having with UPS.  My shipments were fine with FedEx and now no longer able to ship to California via FedEx due isssues CGC had with FedEx shipments.