• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outbreak of Shaken Comic Syndrome
3 3

182 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Is this what's wrong with this 266?  Or is the 266 miswrapped?

60266777-762C-4ADA-89D1-352944252720.jpeg.a82f0f042eb63a2e51c5f1c02d296e4c.thumb.jpeg.6e8b4403baffd481fd1acda72f207804.jpeg

5455165274276543993.thumb.jpg.31ab4b8a3171b2d1bf6955d3fdd0860e.jpg8675673780476756015.thumb.jpg.30bf4db8a185c741153e2def0aeb526a.jpg83765677301850829.thumb.jpg.971a1dbe33ce18ee59ccd5caf71ce2b0.jpg

nope (or at least not in my opinion) you just have a book that has a slight miswrap. If it was due to being loose in the case there'd be some separation at the staples, and it doesnt look like that is occurring (though you dont have pictures upclose of the stape area, but based on the bigger pictures it hasnt shown pulling away. 

Just now, miraclemet said:

nope (or at least not in my opinion) you just have a book that has a slight miswrap. If it was due to being loose in the case there'd be some separation at the staples, and it doesnt look like that is occurring (though you dont have pictures upclose of the stape area, but based on the bigger pictures it hasnt shown pulling away. 

I'll take photos of the spine and show you.

I'm not sure what the original grade was;  I bought it slabbed but never seen this miswrap in a 9.8 before

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

Could be a bad press job. 

still got a 9.8? should he keep it or send it back? I mean some buy the book not the grade, would "most" at least still consider this a 9.8 in the slab?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

still got a 9.8? should he keep it or send it back? I mean some buy the book not the grade, would "most" at least still consider this a 9.8 in the slab?

I think so...I've seen that appearance on quite a few moderns. 

4 minutes ago, newshane said:
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think so...I've seen that appearance on quite a few moderns. 

Thanks! We had pm'd, I pointed him to this thread, as I didn't really have (imo) a satisfying answer...

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the shaken syndrome, so that it didn't get worse (thumbsu

39 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't see anything unusual about the book or the slab from these images. (shrug)

It's pretty obvious to me. I don't think the book was manufactured this way. The cover is sticking to the inner well while the insides are moving down. I have seen it and experienced it. Not a good candidate for tapping it back into place either. I would send it back to CGC. in the meantime, store the book flat. 

Here's my take on maybe why this is happening more of late. The design of the original new slab used tremendous pressure to hold the book in place. There was no inner well for the book to move around in with the thought that would solve some SCS problems. It turned out the longer term effect of this pressure caused the 'creep engine' effect with the comics sustaining damage. So, CGC brings back the inner well in the new slab design. This worked BUT, we now had the Newton Ring effect from the inner well pressing against slab. Never bothered me but most balked at this effect. So now, it appears, they have fixed the Newton Ring problem by having the inner well more loose in the slab. Now, the inner well is swimming and SCS is back.   

6 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Black_Adam and I were discussing and think that maybe CGC is making the slab pressure less to combat Newton Rings.  But this less pressure may allow the book to slide sideaways causing the tears.

I agree. I just proposed my theory and the same conclusion above.