• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outbreak of Shaken Comic Syndrome
3 3

182 posts in this topic

Bumping this thread back up because the struggle is real with SCS. 

Received this Incredible Hulk 377 third printing book today.  Book slid during shipping and got smooshed into the interior holder resulting in damaged pages.  I bought this from a private seller elsewhere and he simply refused to acknowledge that any damaged could have occurred during shipping.  Um, well damage obviously occurred here...have we not seen vids all over the internet of handlers throwing around packages?  Sh#t happens.  Anyways, if you can, I'd advise to pay with Paypal G&S because that's where I'm having to take my case to as the seller is calling me a fraud for making up the damage.  Wow. 

Oh and this is my second case of SCS.  First case, I purchased a Showcase #30 Aquaman book off eBay and the staples popped off during shipping.  Seller refused to acknowledge how this could happen either.  Had to open a dispute there as well.  In almost all cases, the buyer should be expected to win, as it's always the sellers responsibility to ensure that the item arrives in good condition. 

IMG_3830.jpg

Edited by Bluemedgroup

48 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Bumping this thread back up because the struggle is real with SCS. 

Received this Incredible Hulk 377 third printing book today.  Book slid during shipping and got smooshed into the interior holder resulting in damaged pages.  I bought this from a private seller elsewhere and he simply refused to acknowledge that any damaged could have occurred during shipping.  Um, well damage obviously occurred here...have we not seen vids all over the internet of handlers throwing around packages?  Sh#t happens.  Anyways, if you can, I'd advise to pay with Paypal G&S because that's where I'm having to take my case to as the seller is calling me a fraud for making up the damage.  Wow. 

Oh and this is my second case of SCS.  First case, I purchased a Showcase #30 Aquaman book off eBay and the staples popped off during shipping.  Seller refused to acknowledge how this could happen either.  Had to open a dispute there as well.  In almost all cases, the buyer should be expected to win, as it's always the sellers responsibility to ensure that the item arrives in good condition. 

IMG_3830.jpg

Why don't you sue CGC for selling a defective product?

Or maybe, pay the extra for insurance....,??

On 1/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

Update: CGC has just finished reviewing a previous book that was sent back with SCS and agreed to reimburse me for the book.  CGC is a very reputable company in my book and gets 5 stars.

Now I have to have them review this latest batch.  Wait until they get a load of these.

DSC_1987.JPG

DSC_1988.JPG

OUCH

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Why don't you sue CGC for selling a defective product?

Or maybe, pay the extra for insurance....,??

Not sure if you read my post fully.  But shipping is on the onus of the seller.  It's the sellers duty to get the product to the buyer in good condition.  So why would I have to pay for insurance?  Buyers should never buy shipping insurance.  The seller has the option to ensure their shipment to make sure it arrive safely to protect them from loss or damage. 

Edited by Bluemedgroup

Bumping this because of the horrendous box i got back from CGC yesterday.   16 of the 25 books are smashed into the bottom of the inner well,  some even look like theyre sealed through the bottom edge of the well.  14 of those 16 books were graded at 9.8.   The box didnt have any damaged that showed a hard impact.  

IMG-3424.JPG

IMG-3427.JPG

IMG-3437.JPG

IMG-3440.JPG

IMG-3447.JPG

4 hours ago, DaveSFU said:

Bumping this because of the horrendous box i got back from CGC yesterday.   16 of the 25 books are smashed into the bottom of the inner well,  some even look like theyre sealed through the bottom edge of the well.  14 of those 16 books were graded at 9.8.   The box didnt have any damaged that showed a hard impact.  

IMG-3424.JPG

IMG-3427.JPG

IMG-3437.JPG

IMG-3440.JPG

IMG-3447.JPG

Good grief!!! :ohnoez:

Not to say that there should ever be SCS, but have anyone ever looked at the rate of damage?  Cgc has encapsulated 5 million plus comics if I remember correctly, and likely ships 1000's every day.  How many are actually getting damaged?

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

To be fair, 1 is too many.  Encapsulation is supposed to protect the comics, not subject them to damage.  

While I agree with 1 is too many while in the care of CGC.  Outside of their control is another story entirely.

With that, the images provided are painful to look at.  I certainly hope you get some sort of relief for what has happened to those books @DaveSFU

47 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

To be fair, 1 is too many.  Encapsulation is supposed to protect the comics, not subject them to damage.  

Not disagreeing, and CGC makes good when it comes from their shipping.  I have seen plenty of packaging and shipping by sellers, that no level of case would protect a comic from damage.

Just wondering if anyone has actual numbers on comics that have been damage within the case, when it is clear the case has not been abused.

50 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
3 hours ago, drotto said:

Not to say that there should ever be SCS, but have anyone ever looked at the rate of damage?  Cgc has encapsulated 5 million plus comics if I remember correctly, and likely ships 1000's every day.  How many are actually getting damaged?

To be fair, nothing is perfect. A small percentage of failure is allowed in any industry. We're just really emotional about our comics but when a $100K car breaks down, most people understand it happens. It shouldn't, but it does.

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

To be fair, nothing is perfect. A small percentage of failure is allowed in any industry. We're just really emotional about our comics but when a $100K car breaks down, most people understand it happens. It shouldn't, but it does.

Another car analogy?:facepalm:

You can’t compare a car breaking down to damage caused to a comic by the very product that’s supposed to protect it.

It would be more like 100k cars getting damaged in storage areas that were designed to protect / preserve them .:makepoint:

30 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Another car analogy?:facepalm:

You can’t compare a car breaking down to damage caused to a comic by the very product that’s supposed to protect it.

It would be more like 100k cars getting damaged in storage areas that were designed to protect / preserve them .:makepoint:

In a perfect world, you'd be right. But it's not a perfect world so a small amount of error is ALWAYS expected.

23 hours ago, drotto said:

The more interesting discussion or talking point for me is determining how many people are actually sharing their experience. You must consider that there will always be a contingent of people who will dump the item, because frankly that what CGC is for them, a selling tool, and will conveniently latch on to CGC's assessment before disclosing any issue. If they even care enough to check their submissions before posting them for sale - willful ignorance is a hell of a thing.

And then there are the folks that just don't notice. Hard to imagine the latter would be even possible, but I've examined collections where the owners hadn't even noticed a blunted corner that had no business receiving the grade it did, and that the only foreseeable explanation is there book sustained SCS damage during shipping.

There's a fair bit of sweeping under the rug going on, one way or another. The last two times it was brought up on Facebook, the cheerleaders assumed their ordinary position of deflecting blame to everyone but CGC. As I've sad before, this case should have been recalled a long time ago.

Edited by comicwiz