• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Expo 2019

81 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Zaddick said:

The NYC Comic Art Expo
Our next show will be Sunday April 28th at Manhattan’s Hotel Pennsylvania on 33rd St. in the Gold Ballroom.  

Is there a website for the show noting the expected dealers?

Question for past attendees, how does NYC Comic Art Expo compare with the NJ Comic Art Con in Hasbrouck Heights, is it pretty much the same dealers? the next NJ show is on April 14 so attending both shows two weeks apart seems silly. 

27 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Is Mike sketching for attendees?

Okay, I’m not the guy you’re asking, but—-

the one show I attended Mike wasn’t sketching but he did bring small, ~4x6 pencil sketches to sell for about $200. This was about 4-5 years ago.

If this turns out to be a small show attendance-wise he might sketch—but being that this is a show about making $$$$$ off the art of others, maybe not. Also, if non-OA collectors/Hellboy fans catch wind of his appearance, they might crowd the show, making less likely he’ll sketch. 

I know you didn’t ask me, but sharing my experience. (Frank Cho was at the LA Ultimate Show, but as far as I knew, he didn’t sketch.) It’d be cool if Mike does—never hurts to ask, unless it hurts to hear No!

I’ve seen Mike a few times and he rarely sketches in the past if you had a Hellboy companion hard cover he would do a sketch in it but other than that no he sells the sketch as he brings to the show there three to $400 from last year when I saw him not to hundred but I’ll be there to buy up a bunch of those 

Are these two focused 'art cons' SIMILAR to the comic book cons & shows where nearly all of the dealers have already pillaged each other's 'better value' material before the doors even open to the naive paid attendees?

What is the likelihood of 'all' the 'cheaper'/'better value' Mignola sketches being bought up by Synder, et. al. before the show opens?

I am interested in attending one of these focused 'art cons'...

On 1/11/2019 at 1:16 PM, First Upgrade said:

Are these two focused 'art cons' SIMILAR to the comic book cons & shows where nearly all of the dealers have already pillaged each other's 'better value' material before the doors even open to the naive paid attendees?

What is the likelihood of 'all' the 'cheaper'/'better value' Mignola sketches being bought up by Synder, et. al. before the show opens?

I am interested in attending one of these focused 'art cons'...

Mike Mignola could have an unspoken policy similar to Art Adams and Bruce Timm where he shows up very fashionably late to his table. This has been used as a deterrent for dealers to buy their stuff or fill up their sketch lists before the show starts. The hardcore fans who wait in line an hour after the con starts usually benefit. Your best bet is to get to the show as early as possible before the doors open, be one of the first to get in, and plant yourself at his table until he shows up. 

I went to a show last year where he had very little line and bought 3 of his sketches, with many left in the portfolio after I left. I got there in the morning but after the doors opened.

I’m only about 2.5 hours away  from NYC and have been trying to score some Mignola art for years, so this is a no brainer for me. I was wondering if there is a website or Facebook page so I can keep up to date on the event? Or is this the best place to check in? With a 6 month old adding her own brand of chaos to my life I want to make sure I’m keep up to date.

Thanks!

On 1/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, First Upgrade said:

I tweeted to Mike asking him to hold off on selling to the dealers until show ends, hopefully he will consider that.

Hello Original Art Enthusiasts,

We’re excited to again invite you to the NYC Comic Art Expo, a show of only original art from dealers, collectors and artists.

In addition we will have 25 original Winsor McCay artworks on display and offering publicly for the first time from the collection of Chris Parente, who’s father Joseph Parente ran The Little Nemo comic shop in NYC for close to three decades. 

And as you know among other things I represent Frank (The Wizard) Thorne and will have a great group of originals, including for the first time canvas recreation paintings of his Red Sonja covers.

Can’t make the Expo but want to offer something? Contact me about consigning.

Zaddick Longenbach  senbach@hotmail.com

Terry Holtz  terry@freshlybakedcollectibles.com

NYC Comic Art Expo:

Sunday April 28th 2019 from 10:00 – 5:00pm

This years guests:  Mike Mignola, Ray Lago, Mark Texeira, & Keith Williams.

Pennsylvania Hotel, 136 west 33rd st. entrance between 6 & 7th avenue.  Gold Ballroom, 3rd floor

We’re located across the street from Penn Station & A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 Subways

hellboycomiccymk.jpg