• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Expo 2019

81 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Did Mike tweet back?

No, but I have mentioned it again when imploring him to bring stuff he has posted. He is a greatguy and I have little worry about him selling out before the doors open.

Man, I hope so! He's the main reason i'm making the trek out there with some extra cash I've been saving up. I really hope to get there early while the selection is still good. I've got my fingers crossed he'll bring some of the watercolors he's been posting on Instagram. They are drop dead gorgeous. 

4 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Man, I hope so! He's the main reason i'm making the trek out there with some extra cash I've been saving up. I really hope to get there early while the selection is still good. I've got my fingers crossed he'll bring some of the watercolors he's been posting on Instagram. They are drop dead gorgeous. 

Imma be in front of you and buy everything! Everything I say! mwahahahahahahahaha!

(Actually I am a bit worried that I will blow all my cash with Sienkiewicz at Mocca on 4/7!)

13 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

The show opens at 10 a.m...should the 'First-Thing-Is-First-Mignola' attendee be in line at the door by 8 a.m.??...

Who remembers a line at the door a couple of hours before open for last year's show?? 

I expect there will be enough for all. I hate waiting in front of the door but you may be right!

I used their contact info to ask them to post a dealer list here so maybe they'll do so!

I have amassed a considerable warchest, to the point where I am thinking..."I cannot spend all this with Mike Mignola!" so I hope he has some good stuff with him.

14 hours ago, Bird said:

I used their contact info to ask them to post a dealer list here so maybe they'll do so!

I have amassed a considerable warchest, to the point where I am thinking..."I cannot spend all this with Mike Mignola!" so I hope he has some good stuff with him.

I'm feeling the same way Bird! 

I do have some questions for people who have been there previous years. It’s my first encounter with Mignola (after waiting decades!) I really want to make sure I come home with some art from him, so hopefully you guys can help me out:

1. How early should I get there? My train gets to Penn at 8:45. Is it acceptable to wait in front of the Gold Ballroom?
  2. Should I bring plastic hard cases/tubes to store any art that I buy or will there be some there readily available for purchase?
  3. Any suggestions for breakfast/lunch spots?

I’d take any other helpful tips anyone has to offer.

Thanks so much guys!

I haven't been to this one but I imagine waiting shouldn't be a problem. I might be there early as well. Yes you should bring something to put the art in. I like the chicken zesto sandwich at one of the places near Penn Station, small place on the side of the street with the Penn Hotel and about two blocks down. Cafe Europa I think that it is called.

See you Sunday!

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Yes you should bring something to put the art in. I like the chicken zesto sandwich

When this thread popped up, it sort of halted right at this bit of text, and when I read it out of context, the mental image made me chuckle out loud. :)

The Gold Ballroom is out of the way.  The elevator is kind of out of the way.  When you get up there, you can't possibly get lost.  But you could get killed and it's possible noone would find your body until the next NYC Comic Art Expo.

The Gold Ballroom is secluded in the back with it's own private elevator.  Ask a hotel employee where it is as soon as you enter the hotel.

I can't speak for Zaddick or Terry but there should not be a problem getting there a little early and waiting.

As Will noted, the flow to the ballroom is obvious.  It's an old hotel so the ballroom was designed for wedding receptions not art shows. Lol.  The oversized foyer is where the artist tables will be.  At the end of the foyer will be doors that lead into the main room where all the dealers and exhibitors are.  1 way in, 1 way out.

Restrooms are in the area before you reach the artist area.  So, if you are there early waiting, don't worry.

I don't believe HotFlips is setting up so bring your own portfolio case.

For breakfast, I like hot fresh bagels.  Zaro's Bakery is located 1 flight down below street level.  It is next to the "up" escalators in Penn Station before you go up to street level.  Hotel Pennsylvania is across the street.  I usually ask for whatever is hot.

As you enter the main room, Nick, Jason and I will be "to the left".  In the corner against the wall.  Please stop by and introduce yourselves.  We would love to meet you in person.

giphy-beyonce-totheleft.gif

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

We’re just a few days away from the NYC Comic Art Expo. April 28th

Highlights include a Winsor McCay original artwork collection on display and offering publicly for the first time from the collection of Chris Parente, who’s father Joseph Parente ran The Little Nemo comic shop in NYC for close to three decades. 

The premiere of Frank (The Wizard) Thorne’s painted Red Sonja cover recreations, and a signed limited edition of 100 Red Sonja print from his famous 1976 poster, indistinguishably printed from the original art.

Sunday April 28th at Manhattan’s Hotel Pennsylvania, 136 west 33rd 

entrance between 6 & 7th avenue.  

(this entrance will have the elevator and stairs that go directly to the 3rd floor)

Gold Ballroom, 3rd floor. 

10:00-5:00pm

Entry $20

Signs will be posted in the lobby to help direct everyone. 

Located across the street from Penn Station A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 Subway. 

Questions:

Zaddick Longenbach 

senbach@hotmail.com

Or

Terry Holtz 

terry@freshlybakedcollectibles.com

Always some surprise dealers/collectors walking with a portfolio but set-up for the duration of the show.  

Vendors: 

Albert Moy 

Anthony Snyder 

Scott Eder 

Cool Lines-Rich Donnelly

Heritage Auctions

Rob Pistella

Society of Illustrators 

Grapefruit Moon 

Glen Brunswick 

Comic Connect-Metropolis Comics

Lee Benaka