• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Expo 2019

81 posts in this topic

From Ankur's pics

1) Nelson Animated Ink (that's me).

2) Nick Katradis with a few pieces from fellow collector Keif (twice up and golden age art). 

Unfortunately, our buddy Jason did not show until the end when we were leaving.

3) Glen Brunswick

4) Zaddick

5) Zaddick

6) ?

7) Mignola line?

8) Zaddick

9) Albert

10) Albert

11) Albert

12) Scot Eder

Overall, turnout was great.  Mignola is certainly bringing in the crowds.

It was great catching up with old friends and meeting new collectors.  We hope to see you at the next show.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

5 hours ago, Bird said:

The McCay prices were out of hand, almost double market value in my opinion.

I got 4 from Mignola, so I was content. I also almost pulled the trigger on something from Scott Eder and will likely follow up in a few weeks and pick that up.

I can't speak to the prices of the Little Nemo and such (don't know that market at all), but, the political pieces that pre-sold were the best examples of such that I have ever seen. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

I can't speak to the prices of the Little Nemo and such (don't know that marker at all), but, the political pieces that pre-sold were the best examples I have ever seen. 

One dealer I was speaking  with thought they were three times market value I wouldn’t go that far but I thought they were very high

5 hours ago, Bird said:

I got 4 from Mignola, so I was content. I also almost pulled the trigger on something from Scott Eder and will likely follow up in a few weeks and pick that up.

Feel free to share pics in the Mignola art thread :foryou:

5 hours ago, Bill C said:

Ankur- whos set up is that in the second picture?

Nick Katradis and Kief Fromm

Pic 6 was Scott Eder's table

Edited by AnkurJ

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I am seeing some overlap with NJ from the posted photo’s but less than I expected. Are the dealers that different or are the displays just looking different (if you know)?

Definetly overlap. This show had much more illustration art than NJ. And artists were in attendance here.

Done! 

Bird, did you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to see the page someone early in line bought? Not sure where you were, but I was probably 12 or 13 people in. I saw it from afar and it looked like possibly a Hellboy in Hell page that was mostly a village shot. I'm curious which one it was exactly and how much it went for. A shame I wasn't earlier cause it looked like something right up my alley that I was looking for...

18 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Done! 

Bird, did you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to see the page someone early in line bought? Not sure where you were, but I was probably 12 or 13 people in. I saw it from afar and it looked like possibly a Hellboy in Hell page that was mostly a village shot. I'm curious which one it was exactly and how much it went for. A shame I wasn't earlier cause it looked like something right up my alley that I was looking for...

(shrug)

I think that page was $1200

46 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Done! 

Nick and I did not set up in NJ.  We were only set up in NYC.  As such, people who attended the NY show were able to go through over 20 folders of OA.

Ankur does a good job taking hi-res photos of wall displays.  What you see on the display racks are show pieces and higher priced items. 

All collectors have different tastes and budgets.  Nick and I try to bring a little something for everyone but each collector has to make the effort to attend the shows and look through the folders for the hidden gems. 

hm

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

36 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Nick and I did not set up in NJ.  We were only set up in NYC.  As such, people who attended the NY show were able to go through over 20 folders of OA.

Ankur does a good job taking hi-res photos of wall displays.  What you see on the display racks are show pieces and higher priced items. 

All collectors have different tastes and budgets.  Nick and I try to bring a little something for everyone but each collector has to make the effort to attend the shows and look through the folders for the hidden gems. 

hm

Cheers!

N.

What you said about collectors having to make a little effort is so true!  There is a ton of great art out there, and it's not all going to be on the primary display panels.  David

1 hour ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Can anyone tell me the name of the art dealer when you first walked in the main entrance? He had a ton of pin up cover paintings from the 40s and such.

I didn't catch the name either. They had an Edwin Georgi I inquired about, but it seemed everything was NFS and just for show.

12 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I didn't catch the name either. They had an Edwin Georgi I inquired about, but it seemed everything was NFS and just for show.

Ah. Good to know. I'm sure I could never afford it, but that's the stuff that's way more in my wheel house and was wonderful to see in person.

I overall had a great time at the expo.  A lot of fun to chat with the guys at the tables that were there mostly to show off their stuff or take offers too good to refuse :)  You just don't get to see that great stuff at any other time.

What was very disappointing was to arrive early and get one of the first entries into the show, only to see dealers walking away from Mignola's table with stacks (one very fat stack) of art as the doors opened.  Some of it is already showing up for resale on their websites.  If I had know that was going to happen, I probably would have skipped the show, or at least lowered my expectation of being able to buy Mignola art.  All that was really left (I was 5th in line) was sketches and covers. 

Aaron

I'm glad you had an overall positive experience at the show but it is disappointing to learn that Mignola choose to sell to dealers, (Snyder + Albert), while the fans were all patiently waiting.  Zaddick did reach out to Mignola in advance about the issue but ultimately, it is up to the artist.

The word on the street is Mignola enjoyed meeting with his fans and would like to return to the show next year if his schedule allows.  I will speak with Zaddick so he can relay some of the concerns from the attendees to Mignola.  I believe the first person on line was from Montreal and arrived at 7 am.  If Mignola was aware of that, perhaps he would have held off selling to dealers first.

Hopefully, you will attend the show next year and have an even better experience.

All the best.

Cheers!

N.