• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Expo 2019

81 posts in this topic

Geez, now I am in a quandry! I have more than I should spend on Mignola put aside but not quite enough (though close) for a Winsor McCay! I have an editorial cartoon already but it sure would be nice to swing for the fences and get a Rare Bit Fiend or a Little Nemo! 

hm

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Geez, now I am in a quandry! I have more than I should spend on Mignola put aside but not quite enough (though close) for a Winsor McCay! I have an editorial cartoon already but it sure would be nice to swing for the fences and get a Rare Bit Fiend or a Little Nemo! 

hm

How rare is it to find a Little Nemo vs. Mignola?

On 4/23/2019 at 6:22 PM, Zaddick said:

Highlights include a Winsor McCay original artwork collection on display and offering publicly for the first time

Seems like offering means for sale 

Doesn't look like I will make if after all.

But, if anyone spots images of the Phantom Stranger, can you let me know who the seller is?  Don't bother if its Anthony's or Coolines since their stuff is already on-line.

Thank you. 

The McCay prices were out of hand, almost double market value in my opinion.

I got 4 from Mignola, so I was content. I also almost pulled the trigger on something from Scott Eder and will likely follow up in a few weeks and pick that up.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

The McCay prices were out of hand, almost double market value in my opinion.

I got 4 from Mignola, so I was content. I also almost pulled the trigger on something from Scott Eder and will likely follow up in a few weeks and pick that up.

I am seeing some overlap with NJ from the posted photo’s but less than I expected. Are the dealers that different or are the displays just looking different (if you know)?

35 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Pics. I didn’t get everyone. Whirlwind as usual! Huge lines for Mignola. Some great art at great prices. Then Winsor Mccay political pieces I was interested in all presold sadly.

873FF1D9-3EDE-4349-A626-14FF7BDC8342.jpeg

Dumb question, but are those twiceup covers in the top right? They look substantially larger.

Edited by Twanj

16 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I am seeing some overlap with NJ from the posted photo’s but less than I expected. Are the dealers that different or are the displays just looking different (if you know)?

I've skipped the last few NJ shows so I do not know.

I cannot find the thread where we were discussing auction house fees, but today at this show I asked the two HA reps about reduced fees. One of them was a little less forthcoming and was all "it depends on what it is you are selling" but the other immediately answered $10-15K would get reduced fees. I asked about getting zero seller fees for $20K and they both hedged a bit and went back to the "depends on what it is" with one saying if it was $20K worth of $100 pages going in Sunday auctions that it would likely be 10% but if it were one $20K page then... (he trailed off, not finishing the sentence). This was in the elevator on the way up to the ballroom and they wanted me to come by the table to finish the conversation but I had that awed bleary eyed thing going on after looking at all the art and left without doing so.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I cannot find the thread where we were discussing auction house fees, but today at this show I asked the two HA reps about reduced fees. One of them was a little less forthcoming and was all "it depends on what it is you are selling" but the other immediately answered $10-15K would get reduced fees. I asked about getting zero seller fees for $20K and they both hedged a bit and went back to the "depends on what it is" with one saying if it was $20K worth of $100 pages going in Sunday auctions that it would likely be 10% but if it were one $20K page then... (he trailed off, not finishing the sentence). This was in the elevator on the way up to the ballroom and they wanted me to come by the table to finish the conversation but I had that awed bleary eyed thing going on after looking at all the art and left without doing so.

Good to know where that conversation starts (15-20k+), flipping from net buyer to net seller is getting closer every day...