• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Truly terrible. A nightmare. There is no justice in this world. Why were these books kept in a storage unit?

I would not know the answer to that. I have not interacted with Rand in quite awhile. He is a swell chap and to say he has a passion for comics, in particular Batman comics is an understatement. Years ago I helped him find some of the slabs in his runs and actually sold him a bunch of BA/CA 9.8 Bat slabs. This must be absolutely devastating for him. 

Those bastards in Las Vegas probably inspired the creeps who did this. I feel for the guy, that's a hell of a blow. However, with his collection being so well known, and apparently meticulously documented, he shouldn't get much in the way of grief from the insurance company. For a collection of that value, please tell me it was insured...

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

No freakin' way I would leave my collection in a storage facility. 

I feel for the guy but I just dont understand.  I have comics because I enjoy them.  I cannot enjoy them if they are locked away somewhere.  If I had a book worth say 100K, yeah that would go in a safe deposit box.

3 hours ago, kav said:

I feel for the guy but I just dont understand.  I have comics because I enjoy them.  I cannot enjoy them if they are locked away somewhere.  If I had a book worth say 100K, yeah that would go in a safe deposit box.

I keep all my books on a shelf in my room, even the ones over 100K. I feel for the man, and will keep an eye out for them. I just cant fathom keeping a set of books of that magnitude in a storage facility.

This is a devastating story. I can't imagine what this feels like for the comic owner.

In New York State, most written agreements at storage facilities have a max cap value of $5000 per storage unit.  If you go over that, the customer is supposed to provide proof of insurance to cover the rest.  This robbery is a clear example of why this is a good idea.   Never put anything highly valuable, unique, or irreplaceable items in a storage unit.  

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I keep all my books on a shelf in my room, even the ones over 100K. I feel for the man, and will keep an eye out for them. I just cant fathom keeping a set of books of that magnitude in a storage facility.

what is your address/work schedule?