• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Who in their right mind keeps 1.4m in a storage locker!!? Who knew to target that specific locker?

I think it's an insurance job. 

There’s no way this is an insurance job. The collector was passionate about the books. You don’t collect Batman books for that many years and that quality just to commit a fraud. He could have easily sold them and made likely more than 1.4 mil. 

And people do keep valuables in storage lockers and with multiple locks and cameras around you wouldn’t expect this. Maybe the owner travels and owning a home would be a waste so they rent a storage space?

The guys  got enough stress and sorrow now I don’t think we as a community should be saying things to make him (her?) feel worse. I would be devastated too. 

Edited by jason4

3 minutes ago, jason4 said:

There’s no way this is an insurance job. The collector was passionate about the books. You don’t collect Batman books for that many years and that quality just to commit a fraud. He could have easily sold them and made likely more than 1.4 mil. 

And people do keep valuables in storage lockers and with multiple locks and cameras around you wouldn’t expect this. Maybe the owner travels and owning a home would be a waste so they rent a storage space?

The guys  got enough stress and sorrow now I don’t think we as a community should be saying things to make him (her?) feel worse. I would be devastated too. 

Fair points. I just can't believe someone would leave books of this calibre in a storage locker! A banks vault yeah maybe, behind a flimsy steel door and a padlock, no way.

I'd be interested to know how long the owner rented that locker and whether or not his was the only locker broken into that day.

Not looking to make him feel worse, I doubt that's even possible if this is for real, just speaking my mind which is very suspicious.

I know the human nature thing is to think it won't happen to you but why wouldn't he move the books the day after the big theft a bit ago.  Maybe he thought he had no better options but after one big collection got stolen from a locker you would think everyone else would rethink their own storage strategy.

Edited by 1Cool

Curious what's going to happen to the books. Does the thief try to sell them slabbed, or crack them out?  A lot of people will be keeping their eyes out for these books.  Comic collectors are ferociously tenacious about helping out those who've been wronged.

20 hours ago, kav said:

I feel for the guy but I just dont understand.  I have comics because I enjoy them.  I cannot enjoy them if they are locked away somewhere.  If I had a book worth say 100K, yeah that would go in a safe deposit box.

what if the book is worth 90K? Bank Safe Deposit Box (and I commend you for using proper terminology)?

I'm being a combination smarta s s /dumb a s s  here but this question is for reals: What is the price point in value for comic to go to bank vault?

15 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Holy . Don't banks or the post office offer some kind of secure storage for valuable items? Better there than in a storage unit. 

Banks won't insure them in their bank vaults. Still gotta buy insurance if you go the Bank Safe Deposit Box route.

15 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Heck, a friend of mine bought a defunct old bank building in his home town, replete with a working vault. I'm sure the vault was worth more by itself than what he paid for the whole building. 

cool. What he do with building once he bought it?

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

what if the book is worth 90K? Bank Safe Deposit Box (and I commend you for using proper terminology)?

I'm being a combination smarta s s /dumb a s s  here but this question is for reals: What is the price point in value for comic to go to bank vault?

$10,000

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Banks won't insure them in their bank vaults. Still gotta buy insurance if you go the Bank Safe Deposit Box route.

cool. What he do with building once he bought it?

He's an accountant that does tax preparation and sells insurance. He moved his business into it. The building had been vacant for almost 20 years when he bought it. I'm not sure if he has ever put the bank vault to use. The vault was as big as a small bedroom with all kinds of safe deposit boxes. 

It kind of looked like this. 

bank vault.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

29 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

He's an accountant that does tax preparation and sells insurance. He moved his business into it. The building had been vacant for almost 20 years when he bought it. I'm not sure if he has ever put the bank vault to use. The vault was as big as a small bedroom with all kinds of safe deposit boxes. 

bank vault.jpg

Now that's what a serious Batman/Detective run needs protection wise!

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

bank vault.jpg

A1 Comics!!

Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 3.44.58 PM.png

I'm having a flashback moment...

Remember this episode of the Twilight Zone when the Penguin...err, Burgess Meredeth would lock himself in the bank vault for some quiet and solitude to read his books, just to later find his timely choice has left himself the lone survivor of a nuclear holocaust?

twilight zone bank vault.gif

Edited by Jaylam

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I know the human nature thing is to think it won't happen to you but why wouldn't he move the books the day after the big theft a bit ago.  Maybe he thought he had no better options but after one big collection got stolen from a locker you would think everyone else would rethink their own storage strategy.

I would probably go one further, and buy a large lockable container and put it in my room. Oh that's right, I do!