• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I would probably go one further, and buy a large lockable container and put it in my room. Oh that's right, I do!

:pullhair:

24 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Just a sad state of affairs, really.

I will keep an eye out.

dont take it to extremes tho

maxresdefault (19).jpg

On 1/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, mysterio said:

I was a bit surprised that nobody had posted this here yet...

Bleeding Cool story

I most assuredly really feel for the owner as this must have been a life long project for him to attempt to put a collection of this quality together.  :cry:

The only positive I see here is that with a collection of this magnitude and quality, it will be virtually impossible for the thief to sell them for anywhere close to its value without it being flagged somewhere.  Especially when these types of books would generally be sold through auction sites like Heritage and CC, and we know how sharp these guys are at identifying stolen goods.  Remember the stolen Cage copy of Action Comics 1 that was found in some storage unit and then confirmed by Fishler as the stolen copy.  :applause:  :wishluck:

On 1/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, NoMan said:

It's heart wrenching that there seems to be more and more "comics stolen" threads around here. Can't imagine the anguish. 

I have no idea how "The Registry" works. Are you broadcasting to the world you got nice stuff?

+1

My thoughts exactly.  (thumbsu

I have never been able to figure out why in the world would a collector go out and post to the entire world exactly what they have, especially if it's something of value.  Totally boggles my mind sometimes why collectors would list their books in an open Registry where anybody could access the information, including potential thieves or anybody else who would love to get their hands on your books.  O.o

Well that, plus the fact that a storage locker unit is most definitely not the safest place to store anything of value.  doh!

Nevertheless, sincere best wishes that the owner will be able to catch the culprit and get back his collection intact, especially since he already has some idea of who it might be.  :wishluck:

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I have never been able to figure out why in the world would a collector go out and post to the entire world exactly what they have, especially if it's something of value.  Totally boggles my mind sometimes why collectors would list their books in an open Registry where anybody could access the information, including potential thieves or anybody else who would love to get their hands on your books.  O.o

Well that, plus the fact that a storage locker unit is most definitely not the safest place to store anything of value.  doh!

Nevertheless, sincere best wishes that the owner will be able to catch the culprit and get back his collection intact, especially since he already has some idea of who it might be.  :wishluck:

we love the internet as a tool of communication, when its a tool for crime, that positive/negative...back in the early 70's I went into bank and said give me the largest deposit box you have, and they looked at me funny, I said it for my comic collection and my insurance company Loyds of London required it..they look at me ever crazier....a lot of time an education as taken place in the comic book, but one thing remains constant....put you you good stuff in a bank box, no matter how much its costs, yes it's a hassle, so what...I can remember the first time back in the late 70's early 80's Bruce Hamilton having a walk in safe area..very impressive, so I guess if you have the $$$ you could built you own, I wish and hope for a full recovery of your collection  and that the person or persons be brought to justice and that the freedom of sharing you hard work as a true comic book collector and acquiring  top notch collection is not ripped away from you.

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

If you belong to any Facebook or Instagram groups it's even worse with people posting pics of high value books that are linked to their public profiles (name, birthdate, city, phone # etc.) At least on a message board you have some form of anonymity but I would be weary of posting half the stuff I see for fear of someone figuring out where I live. To each their own though.

The ego driven broadcasting via registry seems to me to be not at all just a harmless vanity project.  It seems a contest broadcasting you are most worthy of being robbed blind, see, look  at all this cool bling, do you need a gift wrap with it sir.  The $1.4 mill theft of these books, that might actually be on low side when you look at books involved.  And theft from a Boca Raton, Fl storage facility, that is same city I live in.  The better storage facilities here require security gate access compound facility that then requires security access to building, as well as key to storage locker, and multiple camera angles that will catch not only thief but vehicle plate.  Ballsy theft, of easily id material.  

I have hopes there is at least partial recovery of material as well as a thief caught red handed. 

Edited by gcstomp

2 hours ago, gcstomp said:

The ego driven broadcasting via registry seems to me to be not at all just a harmless vanity project.  It seems a contest broadcasting you are most worthy of being robbed blind, see, look  at all this cool bling, do you need a gift wrap with it sir.  The $1.4 mill theft of these books, that might actually be on low side when you look at books involved.  And theft from a Boca Raton, Fl storage facility, that is same city I live in.  The better storage facilities here require security gate access compound facility that then requires security access to building, as well as key to storage locker, and multiple camera angles that will catch not only thief but vehicle plate.  Ballsy theft, of easily id material.  

I have hopes there is at least partial recovery of material as well as a thief caught red handed. 

So my original question a page back or two regarding “The Registry” it is a “broadcasting I’ve got theses books” situation?

I have empathy for the owner who lost all those books and hope that they were insured and he can recover his financial losses. Maybe get some of his books back someday thru the help of the community and the police.  I do not begrudge him that he put his collection on the Registry. I do not initially think that being on the Registry contributed to the theft, when the theft was done at a Storage locker.  Maybe I am wrong, and some sleuthing/tracking took place to get to the valuable horde of collectibles.  :frown:

I don’t begrudge anyone for the how’s and why and style they collect ( not that anyone says I did). Just curious if creating a registry puts your collection “out there” which I can’t seem to get an answer. 

Unfortunately if a thief wants something bad enough they're gonna find a way to get it. Which means all you can do is take enough preventative measures to assure safety of your goods. Maybe i'm living in a dream world but I recall reading countless stories of people stealing expensive cell phones then getting caught because the owner with the aid of police used the GPS system to track down the criminals where they lived. So would it be possible for CGC to build a chip into the CGC casing so that it can be tracked? Obviously it would probably only be used on really high end books but if you can do it with a cell phone why not a comic slab? You tire of hearing all these stories and it seems its because the thief is always 1 step ahead. Maybe its a dumb idea but heck i'll throw it out there.

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I don’t begrudge anyone for the how’s and why and style they collect ( not that anyone says I did). Just curious if creating a registry puts your collection “out there” which I can’t seem to get an answer. 

You can make things private so other can't see what you have although I think they can see ranking.

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Depends upon how much personal information is attached to the registry.

Edited by pemart1966