• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:
1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of a registry doesn't it?

Ok, so according to this bit of info it is about letting the world what you have. 

Who has the BSD?  :cool:

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So would it be possible for CGC to build a chip into the CGC casing so that it can be tracked?

Yes, I am sure they can and will gladly charge you a whole ton more money to slab a book that might have originally cost you only 25 cents when you purchased it from your LCS.  :screwy:

And what's to stop the thieves from removing the book from their trackable slab and tossing it after they steal your books?  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I am sure they can and will gladly charge you a whole ton more money to slab a book that might have originally cost you only 25 cents when you purchased it from your LCS.  :screwy:

And what's to stop the thieves from removing the book from their trackable slab and tossing it after they steal your books?  doh!

Well of course they will charge you. What does the original price of the comic have to do with anything? Action Comics 1 originally cost how much? And what is it really worth?

You can make a security chip that "immediately" notifies you if it becomes mobilized. Chip leaves area..... boom you get notification and tracking. On this thing called a cell phone. Perhaps you've heard of them. I know. The thief is going to be driving away with the slabs while taking the books carefully out of the cases and tossing them on the street.

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well of course they will charge you. What does the original price of the comic have to do with anything? Action Comics 1 originally cost how much? And what is it really worth?

I guess my simple rule of thumb is that since I feel that the true value of a collectible comic book should be the underlying comic book itself, I wouldn't really want to have to spend more money on having the book graded and what have you, as opposed to what I had originally spent on the comic book itself.  Especially if the grading and additional services is going to be something like over 100 times what the book cost me in the first place.  hm

Okay, I will make an exception for your Action 1 example since I would be willing to spend more on having this particular book graded if you can find me a copy that would cost me less than what the grading fees would be.  :takeit:

21 hours ago, NoMan said:

So my original question a page back or two regarding “The Registry” it is a “broadcasting I’ve got theses books” situation?

sure, but...

unless you are putting the address of the books location in the registry description  and/or tying your registry to your facebook, you are probably fine. 

for a registry based theft to occur:

1. Thieves would have to be searching through the registry ( thanks to CGCs design thats not all that easy!) to find a (relatively) local registry. If the thief is in FL they would have to research each registry listing untill the found one located relatively near by.

2. in order to do this research the listing would need to be tied to an easily identifiable and unique name/ID, that could be tied to a physical address. So a unique name would have to be in both places. More likely to occur with a business like if "Atlantis Comics" had a registry set and there was only one Atlantis comics in the US, and their address was public, and if the stored their registry comic in that location.

But for an individual it may be more difficult. If CGC UserID is not tied to a real name, the thread is lost. If the ID is tied to a real name, but that name is not tied to a public address, the thread is lost. If the name is tied to a public address but the books are kept elsewhere, the thread is lost. 

And over all that is having to dig through registries to find one that meets all the criteria AND is "local" enough to attempt to steal from AND has stuff worth stealing. 

It also assumes the risk that the registry is up to date/accurate. Imagine, lucking into that perfect storm of information only to break in and find the guy had sold the big dollar books but not updated his registry yet....

The point is there are a thousand other far more likely scenarios that lead to your storage locker getting burglarized than listing your books in an online registry.

I guess it’s not nice to say wtf is that collection doing in a storage locker (like the ones on Storage Wars?) when this poor fellow had such a massive part of his life and time taken. 

I hope the find the person(s) who took it, whomever they are and give them to a Black Norwegian Metal band so they can become cover art for an album

8 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

sure, but...

unless you are putting the address of the books location in the registry description  and/or tying your registry to your facebook, you are probably fine. 

for a registry based theft to occur:

1. Thieves would have to be searching through the registry ( thanks to CGCs design thats not all that easy!) to find a (relatively) local registry. If the thief is in FL they would have to research each registry listing untill the found one located relatively near by.

2. in order to do this research the listing would need to be tied to an easily identifiable and unique name/ID, that could be tied to a physical address. So a unique name would have to be in both places. More likely to occur with a business like if "Atlantis Comics" had a registry set and there was only one Atlantis comics in the US, and their address was public, and if the stored their registry comic in that location.

But for an individual it may be more difficult. If CGC UserID is not tied to a real name, the thread is lost. If the ID is tied to a real name, but that name is not tied to a public address, the thread is lost. If the name is tied to a public address but the books are kept elsewhere, the thread is lost. 

And over all that is having to dig through registries to find one that meets all the criteria AND is "local" enough to attempt to steal from AND has stuff worth stealing. 

It also assumes the risk that the registry is up to date/accurate. Imagine, lucking into that perfect storm of information only to break in and find the guy had sold the big dollar books but not updated his registry yet....

The point is there are a thousand other far more likely scenarios that lead to your storage locker getting burglarized than listing your books in an online registry.

So many possibilities on how it got ripped off. Your insights are appreciated

18 hours ago, NoMan said:

Don't know what BSD is , but in about 4 hours I'll have some really great Vietnamese food. 

Wife did the bait and switch and went to some groovy veganaterian place instead.  Hey, marriage is acompromise.  Did see a flyer for a Found Footage Film Festval coming up in a week so all was not lost. I love Burger King employee training films from the 70s and 80s. That’s where I first developed an interest in films while working at a Hardee’s in High School and watching their off the wall training films.  

8 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Man this is the truth.  Pretty big assumption to think the registry has anything to do with this.  Not sure how much effort CGC puts into determining whether a book was “stolen”?  CGC is successful because they essentially turn comics into a bearer bond and are highly liquid.  Hence the thriving marketplace.  Rightful ownership issues are a real cloud on that marketplace. 

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

the point was that the registry is the least likely impetus for a theft.

more likely:

person goes to a local show and brags to a dealer about his collection (maybe even having a few high $ books in hand to proove the collection) someone at the booth over hears him, follows him out of the show and back to the guys house. Guy had bought some new books at the show so he takes them straight to his storage locker, and the thief follows him, seeing which locker it is. Thief comes back later and jacks the collection.

most thefts are largely opportunity based.  

even more likely:

the thief has his own storage locker at the facility and saw the comic book guy loading comics into his locker. Would only require the thief to recognize a comic longbox, though there would be the risk that the comics werent high dollar.

50 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

more likely:

person goes to a local show and brags to a dealer about his collection (maybe even having a few high $ books in hand to proove the collection) someone at the booth over hears him, follows him out of the show and back to the guys house. Guy had bought some new books at the show so he takes them straight to his storage locker, and the thief follows him, seeing which locker it is. Thief comes back later and jacks the collection.

even more likely:

the thief has his own storage locker at the facility and saw the comic book guy loading comics into his locker. Would only require the thief to recognize a comic longbox, though there would be the risk that the comics werent high dollar.

I understand that was your point. I try and say thank you to those who put the time and care and expertise into a thoughtful answer when I ask a question here or elsewhere. Not that hat you said, but it appears others have in this thread, I never "thought" the registry was the smoking gun, just curious how the registry worked having no clue as I don't participate. Trying to gather clues to make an educated guess about a thief I know nothing about.

Edited by NoMan

51 minutes ago, miraclemet said:
1 hour ago, NoMan said:

more likely:

even more likely:

I'm still curious why so many boardies find PM sales so suspicious, and outright discriminate against PM sales in their sales rules?

I would wager that most of the time, PM sales are not about beating the seller down in price, but in not broadcasting to the world what is contained within their collection.

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm still curious why so many boardies find PM sales so suspicious, and outright discriminate against PM sales in their sales rules?

I would wager that most of the time, PM sales are not about beating the seller down in price, but in not broadcasting to the world what is contained within their collection.

I've never seen PM sales a pejorative term around here but I'm not here as much as I used too and pay even less attention than I use too so there's that. But your saying people don't like PM sales so I do't recall you lying before so it must be true. 

It just seems common sense not to broadcast anything about yourself to the world

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:
12 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've never seen PM sales a pejorative term around here but I'm not here as much as I used too and pay even less attention than I use too so there's that. But your saying people don't like PM sales so I do't recall you lying before so it must be true. 

It just seems common sense not to broadcast anything about yourself to the world

IIRC, you don't buy much..., or at all here..., so I guess there is that frame of reference..., :baiting: