• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just today moved mine to a safety deposit box. I already feel less cluttered in my mind, and I wonder if I’ll occasionally forget about them, like you. It actually sounds kinda nice. I left about 10 books in the house. Maybe I’ll ship those to CC and enjoy the free life for a minute. I feel like an empty-nester whose kids just left for college!

I think it's a good move. It is technically called a SAFE deposit box, not SAFETY deposit box. I know this sounds not of importance, but the employees and others in your life, say a nice looking girlfriend, will respect not only your collection, but your knowledge of many, many things in the world. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I think it's a good move. It is technically called a SAFE deposit box, not SAFETY deposit box. I know this sounds not of importance, but the employees and others in your life, say a nice looking girlfriend, will respect not only your collection, but your knowledge of many, many things in the world. 

First of all, I get no respect. Second of all, the esteemed authority Wikipedia has forgiven me . . .

4D455DE8-95A1-4CE0-95E6-5B061C8A1F0A.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

First of all, I get no respect. Second of all, the esteemed authority Wikipedia has forgiven me . . .

4D455DE8-95A1-4CE0-95E6-5B061C8A1F0A.jpeg

It’s wrong.  Bank safe deposit boxes are a comic related hobby for me.  Because of this interest I’ve done a bit of research on the history, etc of bank safe deposit and because somebody satarted using improper terminology and it stuck doesn’t make it correct, regardless of what the all-mighty-and-knowing Wikipedia tells you.  

I think all collectors should keep ALL their books in Bank Safe Deposit boxes, regardless of perceived value.  Banks are starting do away with Bank Safe Deposit Boxes and this American institution could go the way of the fax machine or what have you and this could be bad for any number of reasons.   Maybe I’ll start a convention that takes place INSIDE the vaulted area at the bank. Instead is “wall books” you would have “vault” books.

These of course are just my opinions but I believe everyone secretly knows I’m right if the’re Willing to say so out loud in public or not. 

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

It’s wrong.  Bank safe deposit boxes are a comic related hobby for me.  Because of this interest I’ve done a bit of research on the history, etc of bank safe deposit and because somebody satarted using improper terminology and it stuck doesn’t make it correct, regardless of what the all-mighty-and-knowing Wikipedia tells you.  

I think all collectors should keep ALL their books in Bank Safe Deposit boxes, regardless of perceived value.  Banks are starting do away with Bank Safe Deposit Boxes and this American institution could go the way of the fax machine or what have you.  Maybe I’ll start a convention that takes place INSIDE the vaulted area at the bank. 

These of course are just my opinions but I believe everyone secretly knows I’m right if the’re Willing to say so out loud in public or not. 

My hair is literally on fire about this.

Well, not literally, but these days common usage apparently has changed the meaning of "literal" to mean "figurative."  Which kinda defeats the whole point of having the word in the first place.

Sadly, with the advent of the virtual world, tangible assets are becoming less and less desirable. Younger generations do not want to be burdened with caring for and protecting them. It's just too inconvenient. (However, I don't think virtual food will ever work.)

Edited by Jaylam

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I think all collectors should keep ALL their books in Bank Safe Deposit boxes, regardless of perceived value.  Banks are starting do away with Bank Safe Deposit Boxes and this American institution could go the way of the fax machine or what have you and this could be bad for any number of reasons.   Maybe I’ll start a convention that takes place INSIDE the vaulted area at the bank. Instead is “wall books” you would have “vault” books.

What are the number of reasons?

Correction:  What IS the number of reasons?  

Edited by KPR Comics

It's a SAFE deposit box.  A deposit box that is safe.  Safety does not enter into it as there is no prevention of injury factor.  

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

What are the number of reasons?

Correction:  What IS the number of reasons?  

I'm not sure what you're asking - the reasons you should keep ALL your books in a Bank Safe Deposit Box? Because the bank Safe Deposit Box area of any bank is cool as s h i t! The vibe is intense. The woman are interesting that are checking on the contents of their boxes. Sometimes you can make googly eyes at 'em. They have something of value, you have something of value. The female tellers that take you back to the vault have the nicest legs on just about any female any where.  It's a mystery behind what's behind every door. It's a place of enchantment and wonder. 

I'l say this if this batman/detective theft guy had been storing them in a Bank Safe Deposit Box, instead of a storage locker (?) he'd still have them. Is this not reason enough? And the whole "just get insurance for 'em doesn't jive with me. Anybody tried to collect on a 1.4 million dollar comic book theft? Yeah, didn't think so. Everything is cool with insurance until you try to collect. 

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok, Jeez. SafeTY deposit box!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time and I apologize if it comes off that way. I feel strongly about Bank Safe Deposit Boxes like some folks feel strongly about the latest variant.  just get your books of value in a vault at the bank.

I wrote a long response to the Bank Vault non-belevers and CGC's new program erased it and I've lost interested.

Suffice to say, if this poor chap who just lost 1.4 million in comics had them in a Bank Safe Deposit Box instead of a storage locker down by the turnpike, well, I'd venture to bet he's still have his books. 

20 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

If you can find one available especially the largest one they have.  Everytime I go to my bank, the tellers always tell me how lucky I am to have a large  box because everyone is literally looking for one.

Lucky for me, Chase bank has a bunch available.  I think I made a mistake by getting the 10” by 10”, because I have to put the books in sideways and lay them with the spine side down.  I’ve worried about the long term effects and will be going back and swapping to the 20” by 10” so I can store them upright.

34 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm not sure what you're asking - the reasons you should keep ALL your books in a Bank Safe Deposit Box? Because the bank Safe Deposit Box area of any bank is cool as s h i t! The vibe is intense. The woman are interesting that are checking on the contents of their boxes. Sometimes you can make googly eyes at 'em. They have something of value, you have something of value. The female tellers that take you back to the vault have the nicest legs on just about any female any where.  It's a mystery behind what's behind every door. It's a place of enchantment and wonder. 

I'l say this if this batman/detective theft guy had been storing them in a Bank Safe Deposit Box, instead of a storage locker (?) he'd still have them. Is this not reason enough? And the whole "just get insurance for 'em doesn't jive with me. Anybody tried to collect on a 1.4 million dollar comic book theft? Yeah, didn't think so. Everything is cool with insurance until you try to collect. 

This is exactly why I have one.  I dont have anything in it but I go there frequently and get treated like a big shot.  Plus the legs.

43 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You said "...bad for any number of reasons"  Just wondering how many reasons.

20 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Lucky for me, Chase bank has a bunch available.  I think I made a mistake by getting the 10” by 10”, because I have to put the books in sideways and lay them with the spine side down.  I’ve worried about the long term effects and will be going back and swapping to the 20” by 10” so I can store them upright.

Spine side down means the pages are resting against the staples.  Stored upright, the pages are pulling down against the staples.  It either makes no difference or you should prefer spine side down.