• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

You said "...bad for any number of reasons"  Just wondering how many reasons.

I believe you that I said it, but I wrote it and I fall a little short of reading things I write. I might suggest  checking out the "what superhero movie earned what" and those disagreements/discussions  in the Comic Movie Group sub section if you're looking for genius, either organic or  non-organic. Those guys act like they got points in those films. 

Anyways use a Bank Safe Deposit box or don't. I gotta go to the heart doctor now. No big deal. Regular check up is all. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, valiantman said:
1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

My books are laid flat on its back 

That's perfect until your stack is too high and the bottom slabs crack. :foryou:

I've had them there for years and no cracks at all. I do only put a few in there so the weight is fine (thumbsu

7 hours ago, NoMan said:

I think all collectors should keep ALL their books in Bank Safe Deposit boxes, regardless of perceived value.

You really can't be serious here. :screwy:

So, are you trying to tell us that we should keep the books we brought of the shelves of the LCS last week or the worthless drek from the 90's in a expensive safety deposit now for safekeeping?  I imagine some collectors here would have to rent out the entire vault in the bank then.  :roflmao:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:
2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

My books are laid flat on its back 

That's perfect until your stack is too high and the bottom slabs crack. :foryou:

I've had them there for years and no cracks at all. I do only put a few in there so the weight is fine (thumbsu

I also keep my books laying on their backs, but all in mylar. (thumbsu

I would never put a slabbed book in a safety deposit box because that takes up a ton of space.  Besides that, any slabbed book that I have would be worth a lot less than the ones I have stored away in mylar in a safety deposit box.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You really can't be serious here. :screwy:

So, are you trying to tell us that we should keep the books we brought of the shelves of the LCS last week or the worthless drek from the 90's in a expensive safety deposit now for safekeeping?  I imagine some collectors here would have to rent out the entire vault in the bank then.  :roflmao:

I’m very serious.  “Worthless drek” is just a matter of opinion.

have you ever been to a bank safe deposit  vault area? It’s a lot more thrilling than the shelves of your LCS. My only concern here is for the kids beginning to collect today. The future of this honbby will  benifit ius all!

Edited by NoMan

On 1/16/2019 at 5:35 AM, pemart1966 said:

Insurance companies are in the business of making money.  They make money by NOT paying out...

no s h i t. Lots of great stores of  friendlyness on the phone, about getting the monthly  bill to you in a timely fashion and all that, lots of niceness on  their 800 lines, but come to collect a claim, and oh well, you know the deal. Not covered. 

On 1/14/2019 at 12:17 PM, James J Johnson said:

Were I an odds maker, I'd venture 4 to 1 odds that the books are fully insured by the owner under a collectibles policy specifically designed to cover any and all loss. Costly, but hey, if there's a 1.4 million dollar payoff for carrying a usuriously expensive and typically unnecessary insurance policy for 6 months to a year, then the payments are well worth the end result!

Were I an odds maker, if the event of the above scenario being correct, the books being fully insured, I'd venture 100-1 odds that they're never seen again, in the same slabs they disappeared in.

I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell. hm

This has probably been stated already, but I don't believe collector insurance will cover a storage unit.  They want a home with a safe and security system.  They will insure without the safe and security system but will often limit coverage and charge higher premiums.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

no s h i t. Lots of great stores of  friendlyness on the phone, about getting the monthly  bill to you in a timely fashion and all that, lots of niceness on  their 800 lines, but come to collect a claim, and oh well, you know the deal. Not covered. 

Thats why I canceled my renter's ins.  Paid happily for years-finally one day I had leaky roof damage property, happily went to call-nope not covered.  Canceled immediately.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

11mds13.jpg

3tierb.jpg

I hate to be a party pooper here, but if your books are insured, I'm sure if something happened here and your books got damaged by stacking them up like that, the insurance would refuse to pay as they would say you were taking unnecessary risks and purposely put your books/slabs in harms way with such reckless behavior. Even if they got damaged some other way, if they saw this thread and these images, they could use it to try and weasel out of paying. Just sayin'. 

Edited by Jaylam

10 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I hate to be a party pooper here, but if your books are insured, I'm sure if something happened here and your books got damaged in any manner whatsoever, insurance would refuse to pay as they would say you were NOT COVERED.  

FTFY

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

… and let's not forget damage or loss from the customary acts of war or terrorism not being covered.

"You are fully covered for any loss excluding any kind of physical change in covered items".

5 hours ago, Moondog said:

This has probably been stated already, but I don't believe collector insurance will cover a storage unit.  They want a home with a safe and security system.  They will insure without the safe and security system but will often limit coverage and charge higher premiums.

From the Collectible Insurance Services website; two of the what they cover bulletpoints:

- Exhibitions: IF you're at a scheduled exhibition, show or display, coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit - including travel and shipping to and from the event.

- Storage Facilities - For an additional surcharge, we offer optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility (up to $100,000)  Hello!!  

Now, this was the first Collectibles insurance company that I clicked on searching Google for "collectibles insurance". This above information pertains to comics. If the first one I accessed will cover comics kept in storage facilities for up to $100,000, I've got to believe that there are others that will insure for whatever you wish, if you're willing to pay their rate!