• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

From the Collectible Insurance Services website; two of the what they cover bulletpoints:

- Exhibitions: IF you're at a scheduled exhibition, show or display, coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit - including travel and shipping to and from the event.

- Storage Facilities - For an additional surcharge, we offer optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility (up to $100,000)  Hello!!  

Now, this was the first Collectibles insurance company that I clicked on searching Google for "collectibles insurance". This above information pertains to comics. If the first one I accessed will cover comics kept in storage facilities for up to $100,000, I've got to believe that there are others that will insure for whatever you wish, if you're willing to pay their rate!

where they getcha is 'proving the value of lost books'.  Um it sold for 12 cents so-

6 hours ago, Moondog said:

This has probably been stated already, but I don't believe collector insurance will cover a storage unit.  They want a home with a safe and security system.  They will insure without the safe and security system but will often limit coverage and charge higher premiums.

Just clicked on another hit, searching the web for collectibles insurance, the Antiques & Collectibles Insurance Group out of Davidson, North Carolina.

They will cover up to $1,000,000, covering inventory at any location: in your mall booth, storage, in your home, at shows, etc., etc. , Fire, lightning, burglary, robbery, etc., etc.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

where they getcha is 'proving the value of lost books'.  Um it sold for 12 cents so-

Nah. Be pretty easy to appraise and update periodically using GPAnalysis. It's state of the art, actual market sales data, not just someone's published or stated opinion. The fact that if you insure CGCed books, the GP charts are a very accurate gauge of value.  It presents prices that one would expect replacement cost to be a point of departure from.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nah. Be pretty easy to appraise and update periodically using GPAnalysis. It's state of the art, actual market sales data, not just someone's published or stated opinion. The fact that if you insure CGCed books, the GP charts are a very accurate gauge of value.  It presents prices that one would expect replacement cost to be a point of departure from.

They'll GETCHA!!!

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Lloyd's of London! They'll have one of their affiliates write you a collectibles, coin, fine art, etc. policy to cover everything under the sun for the sky's the limit, if you don't mind paying the sky for the premiums! :jaws:

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

That's their job. They don't make money by paying claims!   :devil:

"Someone stole my huge collection of dollar box raw stan lee signed books!!"

8 minutes ago, kav said:

dang

Can you imagine one of the forgers we always discuss procuring insurance for their inventory? "I've got 250 Stan Lee autographed books, I'm doing my first show, and I'd like to insure my inventory". Agent: "What do you value them at?"  Fiddling with a calculator, "Roughly $141.79. That's the basic replacement value, but retail value is about $25,000".  lol

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Can you imagine one of the forgers we always discuss procuring insurance for their inventory? "I've got 250 Stan Lee autographed books, I'm doing my first show, and I'd like to insure my inventory". Agent: "What do you value them at?"  Fiddling with a calculator, "Roughly $141.79. That's the basic replacement value, but retail value is about $25,000".  lol

They'd get busted when agent demands they prove value by showing receipts for what they paid stan lee-

18 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I am not a fan of safe deposit boxes. 

If you can get passed my two Shepards, my 9mm , and me you can have my books.🤣

The bank of Oak is the only bank I rely on.:fear:

It’s just an odd personal preference of mine. (Bank Safe Deposit Boxers) Can’t blame anyone for keeping books at home. 

On January 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM, NoMan said:

I wrote a long response to the Bank Vault non-belevers and CGC's new program erased it and I've lost interested.

Suffice to say, if this poor chap who just lost 1.4 million in comics had them in a Bank Safe Deposit Box instead of a storage locker down by the turnpike, well, I'd venture to bet he's still have his books. 

Is there a safe deposit box in the world large enough for this collection that was stolen?

And if so, what do you suppose the monthly rental fee is.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Is there a safe deposit box in the world large enough for this collection that was stolen?

And if so, what do you suppose the monthly rental fee is.

Right! Other than an actual bank safe , where would one be that large.

32 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Right! Other than an actual bank safe , where would one be that large.

Another question I would have is, is 1.4 million considered a "large collection" anymore?  I mean this collection might be unique in that it has that value and that it is CGCd and portable.  But is that a large amount by today's standards in value and pricing?  Just gauging by some of the sales threads here, I would have to say there are many, many collections of similar value across the U.S., Canada, and the world.

Just now, lizards2 said:

Another question I would have is, is 1.4 million considered a "large collection" anymore?  I mean this collection might be unique in that it has that value and that it is CGCd and portable.  But is that a large amount by today's standards in value and pricing?  Just gauging by some of the sales threads here, I would have to say there are many, many collections of similar value across the U.S., Canada, and the world.

Absolutely,  some collections have one book that's worth that these days.