• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Here are some images of safe deposit box sizes and annual cost for reference. How many slabs could you fit?

SafeDepositBoxes.gif

On the biggest one you could fit approximately 19 slabs. But then 7"X21" or so is being wasted. It's too bad its not 26" because then you could run two stacks. Since a slab is 13" tall you are not going to able to stand them up.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Is there a safe deposit box in the world large enough for this collection that was stolen?

And if so, what do you suppose the monthly rental fee is.

yes there is. unfortunately, there's decades waiting lists for them. Families ofter pass them down in wills from generation to generation

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Here are some images of safe deposit box sizes and annual cost for reference. How many slabs could you fit?

SafeDepositBoxes.gif

There is much, much  larger boxes. I've seen them. Much larger. Don' t know rental fee. Not as cheap as the storage locker down by the freeway, and, well, you get what you pay for.

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Lloyd's of London! They'll have one of their affiliates write you a collectibles, coin, fine art, etc. policy to cover everything under the sun for the sky's the limit, if you don't mind paying the sky for the premiums! :jaws:

has anyone tried collecting on a Llyod's of London Policy? If not, it's all just paper nothingness.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Florida man Phillip Weisbauer was arrested in Phoeniz, Arizona after trying to sell four comics worth an estimated $97,000 to a local comic book shop.

The comic books were stolen from a Boca Raton, Florida resident.

Any other updates on this? Where are the rest of the comics?

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/phx-pd-florida-man-tries-to-sell-stolen-comic-books-worth-nearly-100-000

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Another question I would have is, is 1.4 million considered a "large collection" anymore?  I mean this collection might be unique in that it has that value and that it is CGCd and portable.  But is that a large amount by today's standards in value and pricing?  Just gauging by some of the sales threads here, I would have to say there are many, many collections of similar value across the U.S., Canada, and the world.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Is there a safe deposit box in the world large enough for this collection that was stolen?

And if so, what do you suppose the monthly rental fee is.

Is it a 'large collection too big for safe deposit box' or 'not that large anymore'?  Which is it???  :makepoint:

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I am not a fan of safe deposit boxes. 

If you can get passed my two Shepards, my 9mm , and me you can have my books.🤣

The bank of Oak is the only bank I rely on.:fear:

Plus the knives-don't forget the knives.

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

From the Collectible Insurance Services website; two of the what they cover bulletpoints:

- Exhibitions: IF you're at a scheduled exhibition, show or display, coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit - including travel and shipping to and from the event.

- Storage Facilities - For an additional surcharge, we offer optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility (up to $100,000)  Hello!!  

Now, this was the first Collectibles insurance company that I clicked on searching Google for "collectibles insurance". This above information pertains to comics. If the first one I accessed will cover comics kept in storage facilities for up to $100,000, I've got to believe that there are others that will insure for whatever you wish, if you're willing to pay their rate!

Agreed.  Insurance companies will cover just about any situation if you're willing to pay the additional premium.  Note my OP about higher premiums for no safe/security system in a residence.

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

SafeDepositBoxes.gif

you could, you know, get two or more!

5 hours ago, BAT MAN said:

On the biggest one you could fit approximately 19 slabs. But then 7"X21" or so is being wasted. It's too bad its not 26" because then you could run two stacks. Since a slab is 13" tall you are not going to able to stand them up.

you would use the other space for gold doubloons and precious gems!

8 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Absolutely,  some collections have one book that's worth that these days.

And by "some collections" he means JUSTIN'S.

34 minutes ago, Phicks said:

An arrest has been made and $97,000 worth of the books have been recovered. Hopefully, this will lead to the rest.  

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/phx-pd-florida-man-tries-to-sell-stolen-comic-books-worth-nearly-100-000

Must be pretty easy for LCS to spot criminals-guy walks in with like Batman #2 and doesnt know the first thing about comic books.

"Whats a slab?" "Whats a golden age?" etc

Screenshot 2019-01-19 at 3.12.39 PM.png