• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Phicks said:

An arrest has been made and $97,000 worth of the books have been recovered. Hopefully, this will lead to the rest.  

https://www.abc15.com/news/crime/phx-pd-florida-man-tries-to-sell-stolen-comic-books-worth-nearly-100-000

Kudos to the comic shop for notifying the police.  I hope they can recover the rest of the books.   

2 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I wonder if the owner of the books knew this guy or had any connection to him? Or, was this guy just a lackey hired by the real thief or thieves to try and fence the books to see how hot the water is before trying to sell anymore of them?

"What do you guys call 1-800 Henchmen or something?"

-John McClane

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Wheres the rest of the books? I mean that's great they found 100K worth, but there's still 1.3 million  still out there.

Dont worry they going thru his mobile home

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Wheres the rest of the books? I mean that's great they found 100K worth, but there's still 1.3 million  still out there.

Yup. 4 books ... out of 400+

He likely took the earliest Batmans with him.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, BAT MAN said:
On 1/19/2019 at 7:44 AM, Jaylam said:

Here are some images of safe deposit box sizes and annual cost for reference. How many slabs could you fit?

SafeDepositBoxes.gif

On the biggest one you could fit approximately 19 slabs

On 1/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, Wipple said:

What bank charges only 90 for the 10x10?  I pay 3 times that at TD.

Yes, just imagine paying those kinds of fees to store some of the otherwise worthless drek that makes up the bulk of CGC's business.  :screwy:

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
17 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I wonder if the owner of the books knew this guy or had any connection to him?

Yes he does.

Well, this is interesting, but really not that surprising at all.

It looks like the owner of these books might have been a little too open with too many people with respect to providing details about his collection.  doh!

1 minute ago, Jaylam said:

In this case it would be a plus if I could get insurance to pay cover price instead of fair market value or replacement cost.

:idea: buy longboxes of drek at like 5 cents a book.  Keep records/pics.  Throw in landfill and make a claim!!!  At $4 a book replacement value!!!   :flipbait:

:jokealert:

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:
6 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Yes, good luck trying to sell my millions of dollars of 90’s drek. 

In this case it would be a plus if I could get insurance to pay cover price instead of fair market value or replacement cost.

This is so very true and not only with 90's drek, but even with most of today's MA newsstand books.

And yet you see speculators happily throwing even a ton more dollars at them getting them pressed and slabbed even as they are coming off the shelves of their LCS's. :screwy:

That's what I would call a case of graded labels where the value only comes from the label, as opposed to graded comic books where there is value in the underlying comic book itself regardless of the label.  hm