• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

It’s a boardies shop in Phoenix 👍

wow I hope they show up and give us a step by step of entire encounter!!!!  :popcorn:

On 1/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, this is interesting, but really not that surprising at all.

It looks like the owner of these books might have been a little too open with too many people with respect to providing details about his collection.  doh!

This, more than anything. The storage unit aspect is incidental to me -- could just as well have been kept at his home and pilfered from there (Nick Cage, anyone?) if this "wrong" person knew a little too much about the collection.

Moral of the story, be thoughtful about just who knows what (in collectibles) you have, and where you have it.

4 hours ago, originalisbest said:

This, more than anything. The storage unit aspect is incidental to me -- could just as well have been kept at his home and pilfered from there (Nick Cage, anyone?) if this "wrong" person knew a little too much about the collection.

Moral of the story, be thoughtful about just who knows what (in collectibles) you have, and where you have it.

Secrecy is the best security.

14 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep! Ciorac is my hero! So wait, the thief paid the $25k bond and is now set free!?  

The bond should have been a whole lot higher than that, considering the value of the items that were stolen.

What an absolute doofus this judge must be not to think that letting him go free just gives the culprit the opportunity to flee and launder the rest of the $1.3M in a more intelligent fashion.  doh!

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The bond should have been a whole lot higher than that, considering the value of the items that were stolen.

What an absolute doofus this judge must be not to think that letting him go free just gives the culprit the opportunity to flee and launder the rest of the $1.3M in a more intelligent fashion.  doh!

"Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreaming"

i've just got a warning from mods (no points) for reasons they seem not to want to just say the wrong doing , so you know I don't do it again. Logic? Whatcha you gonna do? Several posts of mine were removed. Comic Collecting goes on regardless. They may have been posts from this thread or any other thread. Who's to know? Any armchair Sam Spades out there?

Traveling to remote areas of the world and scuba diving are starting to seem like a better use of time and money than collecting books entombed in plastic and putting them in my Safe Deposit Box (depending on value) or in my closet in a white box by my underwear. 

Each to his own, I guess. I've met a cool cat here, funny how your guts never never mislead you  (see you Feb 26 - watch out for my 93 year old mom, she's  is a kleptomaniac (Just Hulk 181s) and well, what are you gonna do: take her to court?. That would look VERY BAD on you.  Other,quality finds: Mr. Bedrock Houston. Lee Ann in his Sugarland Store. And of course Bob Storms (even though he aways looks like he wants to rip your head off every time you see him.) and Dale Roberts. I once asked Roberts if I could see a wall book at a con and he said with a smile , "Sure, that's why I brought them!" What I delight. And you know I bought that book. Just a nice change of pace as opposed to being eyed as if I'm a thief and a pain in the when I ask to see a wall book. Make the price tag on a bigger piece of paper and I wouldn't have to bother your precious self and your greasy hamburger.  I could actually see things,  you know.  So odd, when I go to my work and I'm asked to do something I don't especially want to do I just say, "Yes Sir!" It's been explained  too me that placing a bigger tag on books at cons brings up accusations of "overinflated convention prices." I would think there would be way around this, but what do I know?

I can't even to begin to fathom the hassles that dealers go through with dim witted rude thieving "customers." But I ain't one on 'em. I gotta big roll of cash, friendly to a fault, and want YOUR conics. But it's starting to have  law a diminishing returns. 4 hours of LA traffic, 40$ ticket than treated like criminal. It's like, why bother?

Anyways, hope you've having a good Thursday and I hope you collection is growing (Keys Only) and every things worth 10xs worth what you paid for it yesterday and we can keep this whole thing moving forwards. I heard they just announced Ms. Marvel 2 of was it 3 or does it matter?

Any body want to so see Stan Ridgway with me on 2.3.18 at 7:30 at Whitter College, So Cal.? He's got some really great solo stuff. 

Edited by NoMan

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i've just got a warning from mods (no points) for reasons they seem not to want to just say the wrong doing , so you know I don't do it again. Logic? Whatcha you gonna do? Several posts of mine were removed. Comic Collecting goes on regardless. They may have been posts from this thread or any other thread. Who's to know? Any armchair Sam Spades out there?

Traveling to remote areas of the world and scuba diving are starting to seem like a better use of time and money than collecting books entombed in plastic and putting them in my Safe Deposit Box (depending on value) or in my closet in a white box by my underwear. 

Each to his own, I guess. I've met a cool cat here, funny how your guys never wrong.  (see you Feb 26 - watch out for my 93 year old mom, she's  is a kleptomaniac (Just Hulk 181s) and well, what are you gonna do: take her to court?. That would look VERY BAD on you.  Other,quality finds: Mr. Bedrock Houston. Lee Ann in his Sugarland Store. And of course Bob Storms (even though he aways looks like he wants to rip your head off every time you see him.) and Dale Roberts. I once asked Roberts if I could see a wall book at a con and he said with a smile , "Sure, that's why I brought them!" What I delight. And you know I bought that book. Just a nice change of pace as opposed to being eyed as if I'm a thief and a pain in the when I ask to see a wall book. Make the price tag on a bigger piece of paper and I wouldn't have to bother your precious self and your greasy hamburger.  I could actually see things,  you know.  So odd, when I go to my work and I'm asked to do something I don't especially want to do I just say, "Yes Sir!" It's been explained  too me that placing a bigger tag on books at cons brings up accusations of "overinflated convention prices." I would think there would be way around this, but what do I know?

I can't even to begin to fathom the hassles that dealers go through with dim witted rude thieving "customers." But I ain't one on 'em. I gotta big roll of cash, friendly to a fault, and want YOUR conics. But it's starting to have  law a diminishing returns. 4 hours of LA traffic, 40$ ticket than treated like criminal. It's like, why bother?

Anyways, hope you've having a good Thursday and I hope you collection is growing (Keys Only) and every things worth 10xs worth what you paid for it yesterday and we can keep this whole thing moving forwards. I heard they just announced Ms. Marvel 2 of was it 3 or does it matter?

Few things are as frustrating, at once both annoying and yet completely unimportant.

It's happened to me once or twice, that powerless feeling of just seeing something I wrote "disappeared" without any explanation.  Drives me crazy.  Don't hold your breath waiting on that one.  Probably you got button humped - do mods even read through threads and delete on their own, I guess that's possible.  But I read your replies, no doubt there's some interpretation of a rule you might have unknowingly violated, but at worst your replies are conversationally open-ended.  Like this one. ; ) 

But then everything bothers me.  Like writing the word "as$" but having it mysteriously disappear so the sentence I wrote doesn't quite make sense.  Can't the friggin censorship software tell if the word's been used innocently not inflammatorily.?  That must be some pretty dumb-as$ AI, but probably it's cheaper software that just deletes all prohibited words instead of only when directed at Richard 'spoon'.  Wonder how the software feels about red hats?  Oh, my, now that little item could spell the end of this post, today, bad pair of three letter words.  But at least in my case I'd have a good guess as to why I got deleted, maybe it's that I've been trained in reading rules in a past life.

Good luck bud, keep on scubaing.  Or scoobing? Save your money, buy bitcoin instead. Heh.

Edited by grebal