• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i've just got a warning from mods (no points) for reasons they seem not to want to just say the wrong doing , so you know I don't do it again. Logic? Whatcha you gonna do? Several posts of mine were removed. Comic Collecting goes on regardless. They may have been posts from this thread or any other thread. Who's to know? Any armchair Sam Spades out there?

Traveling to remote areas of the world and scuba diving are starting to seem like a better use of time and money than collecting books entombed in plastic and putting them in my Safe Deposit Box (depending on value) or in my closet in a white box by my underwear. 

Each to his own, I guess. I've met a cool cat here, funny how your guts never never mislead you  (see you Feb 26 - watch out for my 93 year old mom, she's  is a kleptomaniac (Just Hulk 181s) and well, what are you gonna do: take her to court?. That would look VERY BAD on you.  Other,quality finds: Mr. Bedrock Houston. Lee Ann in his Sugarland Store. And of course Bob Storms (even though he aways looks like he wants to rip your head off every time you see him.) and Dale Roberts. I once asked Roberts if I could see a wall book at a con and he said with a smile , "Sure, that's why I brought them!" What I delight. And you know I bought that book. Just a nice change of pace as opposed to being eyed as if I'm a thief and a pain in the when I ask to see a wall book. Make the price tag on a bigger piece of paper and I wouldn't have to bother your precious self and your greasy hamburger.  I could actually see things,  you know.  So odd, when I go to my work and I'm asked to do something I don't especially want to do I just say, "Yes Sir!" It's been explained  too me that placing a bigger tag on books at cons brings up accusations of "overinflated convention prices." I would think there would be way around this, but what do I know?

I can't even to begin to fathom the hassles that dealers go through with dim witted rude thieving "customers." But I ain't one on 'em. I gotta big roll of cash, friendly to a fault, and want YOUR conics. But it's starting to have  law a diminishing returns. 4 hours of LA traffic, 40$ ticket than treated like criminal. It's like, why bother?

Anyways, hope you've having a good Thursday and I hope you collection is growing (Keys Only) and every things worth 10xs worth what you paid for it yesterday and we can keep this whole thing moving forwards. I heard they just announced Ms. Marvel 2 of was it 3 or does it matter?

Any body want to so see Stan Ridgway with me on 2.3.18 at 7:30 at Whitter College, So Cal.? He's got some really great solo stuff. 

They might have been the posts where you were talking about your meds.  :cool:  Being off them, or on them.

28 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i've just got a warning from mods (no points) for reasons they seem not to want to just say the wrong doing , so you know I don't do it again. Logic? Whatcha you gonna do? Several posts of mine were removed. Comic Collecting goes on regardless. They may have been posts from this thread or any other thread. Who's to know? Any armchair Sam Spades out there?

If only there were some way to see Your Posts Removed by Moderators. Maybe they could make a special forum or something.

It's just too bad there's absolutely no way to see Your Posts Removed by Moderators.

35 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Just don't post nuttin stupid and nuttin stupid will be removed.

Sounds like a cheap tattoo, you know the kinds with the words tattoo around the neck like you see with the hispters in Silverlake. Hey, maybe that was you when I stopped in for coffee a couple of days ago. Looks good on ya!

Edited by NoMan

36 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Not true.  I posted :gossip: emoji once and it was removed and warning issued.

15 minutes ago, kav said:
53 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Not true.  I posted :gossip: emoji once and it was removed and warning issued.

Knowing you, you probably did it stupidly though.

let me first say...dear lord this is awful and Truly is for me a personal worst nightmare...

I wish I could properly explain the lengths I have gone to trying to make my house break in proof for this exact reason...

I feel AWFUL for this person..

but and theres no way to say this without it sounding terrible so I'm sorry...but I must say I was kinda underwhelmed by this story and the reason is.

The article say this guy has the #1 CGC sets of Batman and Detective and they are ONLY worth 1.4 Million?

the best registered sets of  these GOLDEN age series are only worth 1.4 M?

Maybe its just me(and that entirely possible, I'm very inexperienced)but I've often thought about what The Best set of Spider-Man would be worth or Batman and Detective....and I must say I certainly thought they would be worth than 1.4 M

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Maybe the smart ones don't put their collections into public registry sets so that everyone knows what they have and can estimate what it is worth.

Sort of sounds about like this?  https://www.highgradecomics.com/

5 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

The article say this guy has the #1 CGC sets of Batman and Detective and they are ONLY worth 1.4 Million?

the best registered sets of  these GOLDEN age series are only worth 1.4 M?

Maybe its just me(and that entirely possible, I'm very inexperienced)but I've often thought about what The Best set of Spider-Man would be worth or Batman and Detective....and I must say I certainly thought they would be worth than 1.4 M

This guy has the #1 set by quantity not quality. Not to downplay his collection but he doesn't own a single preRobin, Batman 1 or Detective 38, nor any high grade key issues ( Detective 58, 62, 66, 69, 71, 73, 140, 168)

His books don't even come close to the best of the best. Some collections would blow his registry collection out of the water all the way to the moon.

Edited by Gotham Kid

15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

This guy has the #1 set by quantity not quality. Not to downplay his collection but he doesn't own a single preRobin, Batman 1 or Detective 38, nor any high grade key issues ( Detective 58, 62, 66, 69, 71, 73, 140, 168)

His books don't even come close to the best of the best. Some collections would blow his registry collection out of the water all the way to the moon.

thank you...

This clears up my confusion and being "Underwhelmed" ...

I knew the a collection of Batman and Detective that is one of the BEST collections had to be worth way more than 1.4 M....

is the answer Known?

Is there a consensus #1 Set of Detective out there, Does someone have the title of having The best Known Set of Detective comics?

I someone owns the best Known copy of Detective 27....but do they also have the rest of the set ?

or is there a person out there with a lower graded copy of Detective #27, but Overall has the best Known set of Detective based on the rest of the issues?

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:
3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Maybe the smart ones don't put their collections into public registry sets so that everyone knows what they have and can estimate what it is worth.

Sort of sounds about like this?  https://www.highgradecomics.com/

Very funny. :smile:

I'd be very surprised that the perpetrator, who was caught peddling stolen CGC books in a duffel bag, really knew much about the hobby. Ii would be interesting to know if good ol' Phillip was someone who randomly broke into a storage unit and came across the books by chance, or if there was someone else behind the theft who targeted the books and just looked for some punk(s) to sell them.

It's unfortunate that he was released on bail. This gives him a chance to cover his tracks.

2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You say its VG. I say its FN. I say it's stupid. You say it's not. 

Exactly.

I could say, "the sky is blue", and someone will disagree and report my post. Obviously they don't even read the reported posts, so it's just a matter of what sensitive trigger-happy members are around to be offended.