• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1.4 million in Batman comics stolen out of storage
3 3

365 posts in this topic

Is it possible they set the bail so low in an effort to let the guy lead them back to where the rest of the books might be and/or contact their co-conspirators? It would also let a Private Investigator follow them at least-- perhaps monitoring phone conversations? Hoping the guy is dumb enough to incriminate themselves further by just admitting to having the rest of the books and freely giving them up might send those books into the abyss.

I can see how in most comic thefts, such tactics would seem outrageous but this situation is extreme- grand theft type stuff.

Then again-- if you mention comic books to most people, they cannot grasp the type of money involved. I am just spit balling here.

10 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

PS, I asked this once before but I dont remember the answer.

does anyone know why Dave Anderson wont have his comics graded?

Most long time old school collectors like Dave sees absolutely no reason to grade their books unless it comes time to sell them and I would definitely agree with line of thinking.  (thumbsu

Unlike the CGC generation of collectors who needs to have their books slabbed as the grade in some cases seems more important than the underlying books themselves.  (shrug)

Personally, the only possible reason that I can think of for grading a book is for the restoration check.  Even here, does it really matter since CGC's definition of restoration seems to change over time?  So, why waste money like what some collectors may have done years ago to only have their books sitting in a PLOD, when they would now be sitting in a blue/grey Conserved label if graded today.  And even if it is restored, does it really matter anyway if you are not selling it yet, since the book is what it is.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Most long time old school collectors like Dave sees absolutely no reason to grade their books unless it comes time to sell them and I would definitely agree with line of thinking.  (thumbsu

Unlike the CGC generation of collectors who needs to have their books slabbed as the grade in some cases seems more important than the underlying books themselves.  (shrug)

Personally, the only possible reason that I can think of for grading a book is for the restoration check.  Even here, does it really matter since CGC's definition of restoration seems to change over time?  So, why waste money like what some collectors may have done years ago to only have their books sitting in a PLOD, when they would now be sitting in a blue/grey Conserved label if graded today.  And even if it is restored, does it really matter anyway if you are not selling it yet, since the book is what it is.  hm

There could be potential reasons to do this for high value books you are insuring. I would guess that they could also use an independent professional service to certify the condition though without encapsulating. These would be awesome problems to have to worry about.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Reasons to grade a book, or only collect graded books:

- More certainty of what you are buying

- Ease of selling

- Better protection against everyday handling and storing

Then, from an OCD point of view, once you start collecting a few slabs, well, then they all have to be in slabs to match. ;)

6 hours ago, SuperBird said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Reasons to grade a book, or only collect graded books:

- More certainty of what you are buying

- Ease of selling

- Better protection against everyday handling and storing

Then, from an OCD point of view, once you start collecting a few slabs, well, then they all have to be in slabs to match. ;)

In response to your points above:

1)  Those books were brought 30 or 40+ years ago, well before 3rd party grading and slabbing existed;

2)  Not sell now, so why slab now;

3)  Yes, better protection (hopefully that is), but takes up 3 or 4 times as much storage space and makes it totally impractical to enjoy the comic book; and

4)  Already have some slabs and have zero interest in them as they feel and look like a bulky unattractive industrial or commercial product, as opposed to a real comic book feeling that you get when you have them in a much nicer presenting mylar.  Much better strategy is to take them out of the slabs so that they can all be in matching beautiful mylars.  :cloud9:

I guess it's just a case of old school type collecting, as opposed to the new school thinking with the CGC generation of collectors here.  Nothing wrong with either, as it's really just a case of to each their own.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I completely understand not feeling the need to slab a book because you have no intentions of ever selling it.

I have around 85 Books of comics and around 1200 Key issues and Literally not 1 is slabbed and the reason why is ...

A. I'm extremely inexperienced and didnt know the importances of Slabbing until a few months.

but B. because as you said, even now after I know If you want to get top dollar, they need to be slabbed, I still havent slabbed any because I have no indentation of ever selling my comics.

but I must say...My collection is not 1 of the worlds best.

I dont have 9.4...9.6 and 9.8 comics....I dont have The Worlds great comic book.

I think if I had Extremely high grades of Holy Grails....I couldnt help but get them graded even though I would have no intentions of selling them...

If I had a Near Mint copy of Amazing Fantasy 15....theres a very good chance I would write in my will that the comic is to be put in  me coffin when I die and comes with me to the grave...I would never sell it, But I dont think I could NOT Not get it graded...I would want to know exactly how high the grade is and to be honest I would want to show it off, especically If it was the best or one of highest graded AF 15s known

as for the dave...

He supposedly has the basically 2 the greatest comics book on earth...The best copy of action #1 and Detective 27....

like him, I would never sell them...But My god, I would WANT to KNOW if they truly are in fact the BEST and if they were , if they came back as The Highest greatest copies...again to be honest I would want to show them off as The 2 greatest comics on earth....I would want to see The Grades proving they are the worlds greatest comics.

I wouldnt like that theres always that "well Dave susposedly has the best known copies"....I would want concrete proof they are in fact the the highest graded Action 1 and Detective 27 books in the world.

but again these are my thoughts about ONLY the BEST comics...

for any other situation I completely agree and understand why people dont slab...

I just dont think I could help myself, If I truly had one of if not the Greatest Known copy of a Holy grail....I would have to get it graded for confirmation and because I would want to show it off and want people to know....I own the greatest comic on earth.

54 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

1)  Those books were brought 30 or 40+ years ago, well before 3rd party grading and slabbing existed;

3)  Yes, better protection (hopefully that is), but takes up 3 or 4 times as much storage space and makes it totally impractical to enjoy the comic book; and

4)  Already have some slabs and have zero interest in them as they feel and look like a bulky unattractive industrial or commercial product, as opposed to a real comic book feeling that you get when you have them in a much nicer presenting mylar.  Much better strategy is to take them out of the slabs so that they can all be in matching beautiful mylars.  :cloud9:

I guess it's just a case of old school type collecting, as opposed to the new school thinking with the CGC generation of collectors here.  Nothing wrong with either, as it's really just a case of to each their own.  (thumbsu

I agree with everything you said. Also, there is the fear of loss or damage to the book. Imagine if the Action #1 was encapsulated badly or suffered SCS during shipment. Finally, maybe he doesn't like his books pressed !

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I was speaking more generally as to why someone might want slabs, not to any single person's preference. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, TwoPiece said:

The only intel that I have, is that the majority of "removed" and/or reported posts do not violate the board guidelines, and the poster will never receive a legitimate correspondence as to why they are removed (and warning awarded).

The lack of transparency is disturbing. The amount of unnecessary sensitivity is also disturbing.

I once received a warning and suspension for posting a joke. Not a dark joke. Not a tasteless joke. Someone reported it. I told moderation and customer service that it is a joke. They claimed otherwise (despite the fact that it was a joke - no room for interpretation when it's purely based on intent).

I recently received a warning, and looked it up. Had nothing in it that was offensive. Yet I still have that little notation in my profile forever.