• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you find some fantasy too fantastic?

28 posts in this topic

Anyone else here find that sometimes fantasy in stories or comics can be over the top to the point that you don't like it?  And does that happen with comic books the originated from an era after your childhood/teen years?  I wonder if there are guys who grew up reading golden age who can't get into Bronze age material because it's just too far-fetched? 

Yes, there is some stuff that violates my ability to suspend disbelief. This is why my Flash is Wally West. I could never buy the level of ability that Barry Allen has (time travel, vibrating through walls, etc). I’m a Marvel guy because their titles tend to play by more easily acceptable “rules” imho. YMMV

9 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Yes, there is some stuff that violates my ability to suspend disbelief. This is why my Flash is Wally West. I could never buy the level of ability that Barry Allen has (time travel, vibrating through walls, etc). I’m a Marvel guy because their titles tend to play by more easily acceptable “rules” imho. YMMV

What you dont think this is realistic?
http://www.championcitycomics.com/2013/09/kav-tony-break-it-down-flash-190.html

For me, the best comics only require a suspension of disbelief around the main concept.   Early Spider-Man stories only really required the buy-in to the concept that a man could be bitten by a radioactive spider, and end up with spider like abilities.  The rest of Peter Parker's life was grounded in a very relatable reality.

The biggest problem with books written after say 2000 is that all the writers apparently learned to write dialogue from watching sitcoms.

For all of the alternate realities, alternate universes these heroes go through, their should definitely be more nervous breakdowns and long lines in a shrinks chair.   I mean seriously, imagine seeing yourself, but from another time or reality not your own?  COO COO!

7 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

For all of the alternate realities, alternate universes these heroes go through, their should definitely be more nervous breakdowns and long lines in a shrinks chair.   I mean seriously, imagine seeing yourself, but from another time or reality not your own?  COO COO!

good point.  

Definitely. I've always been a Spider-man and Daredevil fan because their stories are typically more down to earth.

If the concept is wacky but executed well enough sometimes I can get on board. For example Doc Ock taking over Peters brain sounded way too cheesy sci-fi to me but Superior Spider-man was actually pretty decent so I eventually got on board. Some stuff just makes me loose interest all together though. Like in Spencers ASM when Peters personality got split into two. There's suddenly just a duplicate Peter standing there in a Spider-man costume . . . where the hell did the costume come from? I couldn't get with that premise. And while I love the Spiderverse movie, I could never get behind the comics because they just are too fantastical for me. These 'hunters' travel the galaxy eating spider-totem souls?  Why? I don't get it. There were also just way too many alternate Spider-man's and it's just too much for me. 

3 hours ago, kav said:

That's interesting.  I had forgotten how unrealistic some of the older comics were as well.  But the older ones that were "bad" were bad in a different way than I personally find some of the new ones "bad".  The older ones were put together by former advertising artists who felt that throwing concepts like "transistors" and "radiation" around could explain away, or render a plot line feasible. I feel like the stuff after that almost "golden age silliness" was better because it was written by the first generation of science-minded-fanboys-grown-up,  Whereas some of the new stuff is so "out there", (like Shawnismaximus describes very well), that it's not so great...dimensional /split personality stuff.  I don't feel like I'm expressing this concept well, but it feels like there is a sweet spot for good comics centered around the late silver age to early modern age (maybe?).

I’ve never minded suspension of disbelief, but started to get riled by the scientific pretentiousness and air of superiority of more recent creators such as Grant Morrison.  

Especially him, actually.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

The older ones were put together by former advertising artists who felt that throwing concepts like "transistors" and "radiation" around could explain away, or render a plot line feasible

At the time, I would guess that transistors had a similar mystique to them as quantum computers would have to a non-scientific reader today.

i know DC outsold Marvel in the 60's but i don't understand why ?? their stories were far inferior, hardly even based on any type of reality or human frailty ...

even 2nd tier Marvels like SubMariner, and Captain Marvel were far superior to most all DC series of the era 2c  2c

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i know DC outsold Marvel in the 60's but i don't understand why ?? their stories were far inferior, hardly even based on any type of reality or human frailty ...

even 2nd tier Marvels like SubMariner, and Captain Marvel were far superior to most all DC series of the era 2c  2c

I can speak for me-Marvel stories were always continued-I didnt get to buy comics often so it was a dud to read an issue.  DC would have 3 complete stories and sometimes a 3 part story.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I can speak for me-Marvel stories were always continued-I didnt get to buy comics often so it was a dud to read an issue.  DC would have 3 complete stories and sometimes a 3 part story.

good post and that i had somehow forgotten..... that is why i seldom bought Fantastic Four as a kid because they were always continued

my favorite comics as a kid were Marvel Bronze horror .... loved them and you would get three stories per issue in those ... also loved Weird War Tales and they also had multiple stories and were never continued !!