• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you find some fantasy too fantastic?

28 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, Westy Steve said:

Anyone else here find that sometimes fantasy in stories or comics can be over the top to the point that you don't like it?

Not a comic book, but I remember as a kid really looking forward to reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." I had heard how it was one of the greats and I wanted to escape into a big fantasy world. Then a couple chapters in, there's a scene where the kids are in Narnia, and they see or hear Santa Claus ("Father Christmas") in his sleigh. I was like, "What the hell is this???" Of course, I was quite okay with talking beavers and stuff.

Edited by Doohickamabob

A colleague at work lent me Image's Ancestor trade. Not sure if any of you have heard of it - I certainly hadn't.

Anyway, obviously a very recent title, but despite a start I really got into (a future where people have their brains connected to something called "The Service" that essentially helps provide all the guidance and programming to help them navigate life; a messiah-like tech leader who brings the protagonist to his secluded compound), it takes an absolutely wonky hard left turn that left me essentially laughing in disbelief as I was reading the final issue and the climactic resolution.

Truly a "WTF!!!" moment in comics reading where the level of fantasy envisioned just goes beyond anything I think you could reasonably choose to accept.

5 hours ago, smithdatura said:

A colleague at work lent me Image's Ancestor trade. Not sure if any of you have heard of it - I certainly hadn't.

Anyway, obviously a very recent title, but despite a start I really got into (a future where people have their brains connected to something called "The Service" that essentially helps provide all the guidance and programming to help them navigate life; a messiah-like tech leader who brings the protagonist to his secluded compound), it takes an absolutely wonky hard left turn that left me essentially laughing in disbelief as I was reading the final issue and the climactic resolution.

Truly a "WTF!!!" moment in comics reading where the level of fantasy envisioned just goes beyond anything I think you could reasonably choose to accept.

Sounds like exactly just what we need; a hackable behaviour control system.

As if it isn't already bad enough.

I seem to be the opposite of everyone else here, I am always disappointing how unfantastic so much fantasy is and I actually hate the trying to make superheros serious and realistic, the more absurd and unrealistic it all is the better. I have my real life problems, I have been to shrinks, I don't want to see or deal with reality and in what I read or watch to escape reality.

7 hours ago, smithdatura said:

Have ya seen the movie "Upgrade"?

17 hours ago, kav said:

Have ya seen the movie "Upgrade"?

I have not, but it looks great and I have it saved in iTunes as something on my wish list for rental. Over on the Birth. Movies. Death. site I know a lot of users have been raving about it as a top film from last year, comparing it directly to Venom as the movie Venom really should have been.

On a related note, if you like Logan Marshall-Green in the lead role there - or if you are a fan of suspense thrillers in general - do yourself a favor and go watch The Invitation, which I believe is still available on Netflix. An excruciatingly intense slow-burn of a film that explodes in its final act - one of my favorite movies, period, of the last few years. Great, great, great.

https://youtu.be/0-mp77SZ_0M

2 minutes ago, smithdatura said:

I have not, but it looks great and I have it saved in iTunes as something on my wish list for rental. Over on the Birth. Movies. Death. site I know a lot of users have been raving about it as a top film from last year, comparing it directly to Venom as the movie Venom really should have been.

On a related note, if you like Logan Marshall-Green in the lead role there - or if you are a fan of suspense thrillers in general - do yourself a favor and go watch The Invitation, which I believe is still available on Netflix. An excruciatingly intense slow-burn of a film that explodes in its final act - one of my favorite movies, period, of the last few years. Great, great, great.

https://youtu.be/0-mp77SZ_0M

Another good one is The Machine-which was a film that went unnoticed but was copied by the much lamer Ex Machina-which was about a robot so fragile she would last about 2 seconds in the real world.  One fall down the stairs and she's in a million pieces.

There was this one time about ten or so years ago that Peter Parker made a deal with Mephisto to wipe away his marriage and half of his life as well as his unknown/yet-to-be-born/unborn child* to save his 154 year old Aunt.  That was a little too unrealistic for me. 

*Whatever happened to MJ's baby btw that Osborn had taken from the hospital in the 616 universe? 

Oh so they killed the baby. 
https://www.cbr.com/abandoned-love-whatever-happened-to-peter-and-mary-janes-baby/

So wait, even more bizarre is that Marvel had no problem KILLING the baby, but "it's magic" to get rid of the Spider-marriage was preferable to having Peter and MJ divorce... 

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah dead baby is always better than a divorce... 

Sigh... "Marvel"

Edited by Buzzetta