• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

depression and comics
1 1

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I like this kind of thing. The old school way of making comics, warts and all. Whilst technically superior, the new stuff is too clinical, clean and charmless. Give me the old comics any day. And they smell better too :cloud9:

4 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

Looking at the Ross Andru thread must make you happy :)

It's why I started it. I love them comics. They will always raise my spirits. Like NoMan is saying, comics are a gift. 

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

sometimes things get kinda down and nothing brings a smile like (helping others, of course) but comics. I don't even have to own them. Pictures of them: mine, yours, in books, online. Nothing like looking at Marvel covers from the 70s and early 80s

I'm hooked too, good 'happy' signals going on in the brain with comics and mags.

Healthier than smoking, but also potentially a lot more expensive.  Better on liver than booze.  Won't comment on weed. 

Think it's 'endorphins' or some other brain chemical, but me likee.  : D

Edited by grebal

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Perfect wording: "A gift." 

Yes.

5 minutes ago, grebal said:

I'm hooked too, good 'happy' signals going on in the brain with comics and mags.

Healthier than smoking, but also potentially a lot more expensive.  Better on liver than booze.  Won't comment on weed. 

Think it's 'endorphins' or some other brain chemical, but me likee.  : D

Yes, me too. It's been said a million times, but let's say it again.

Old comics. The look, the smell, the touch. The feelings of nostalgia for a long lost innocent age. Priceless :cloud9:

I remember going to a wood pile in the woods with copies of Ripley's Believe It Or Not comics and they were just the best. Loved them.

As I got older it was other kinds of magazines at the wood pile, but just trying to stay focused here on how comics just bring it back to happier times.

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I remember going to a wood pile in the woods with copies of Ripley's Believe It Or Not comics and they were just the best. Loved them.

Trying to resist the urge to post a pence copy :grin:

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

As I got older it was other kinds of magazines at the wood pile

I think we know what ones you mean..... :D

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I really thought I should have this - liberated from Cuba!  Wonder how many there are like this? And yes, huge endorphin rush when I won the auction, and huge endorphin rush when I opened the package.  And now, huge endorphin rush talking about it!!!  :banana: And this is not a dancing banana....., 

Brilliant!  There's nothing like the rush you get when 'that book' lands in your hands. If I ever find a Wyatt Earp #29 pence copy I swear I will shed my load. And there'll be pictures, so you'll know it happened :headbang:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If I ever find a Wyatt Earp #29 pence copy I swear I will shed my load. And there'll be pictures, so you'll know it happened :headbang:

So that’s what was happening out by the wood pile...

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

As I got older it was other kinds of magazines at the wood pile, but just trying to stay focused here on how comics just bring it back to happier times.

That’s impressively dedicated.

Most would be satisfied with sniffing some old newsprint, but it’s never occurred to me to augment that by sitting close to a pile of wood and adding in the odour of some timber as well.

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Ripley's #14 the creature from groglin's grange terrified me-the glowing eyes kept getting closer-and closer-then-THE CREATURE BURST IN WINDOW!!!  AAAAAAaaaaaa!!

Keep in mind I was a kid and believed these were TRUE STORIES

RipleyCroglinGrange2.jpg

1 hour ago, kav said:

Ripley's #14 the creature from groglin's grange terrified me-the glowing eyes kept getting closer-and closer-then-THE CREATURE BURST IN WINDOW!!!  AAAAAAaaaaaa!!

Keep in mind I was a kid and believed these were TRUE STORIES

RipleyCroglinGrange2.jpg

Exactly

7 hours ago, Brock said:

So that’s what was happening out by the wood pile...

It was a bear necessity Brock, a simple bear necessity :wink:

12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I thought this was a tell all about depression.:sorry:

Quit being a Debbie Downer...., :sorry: