• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Has Thou Boards Failed Me ???

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’ve been asking for months under an array of different topics but no one seems to know. #SHOCKED!   What was the original print run of Detective Comics #27 ??  C’mon GA experts !  Help a Gold brother out !!

Total printed 493,296

total distributed 493,080

remaining 216 copies are stored in a warehouse on the east coast waiting to be found (thumbsu

:jokealert:

Action Comics 1 on the newsstand cover dated May 1938 with approximate print run of 250,000.

Detective Comics 27 on the newsstand cover dated May 1938, a good estimate would be around 350,000-450,000.

I suspect with Superman gaining popularity, they would print a bit more Detective Comics 27 introducing Bat-Man. Action Comics 12

was on the newsstand same time as Detective Comics 27 and both books pre-date Superman 1 by a few months. 2c

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Action Comics 1 on the newsstand cover dated May 1938 with approximate print run of 250,000.

Detective Comics 27 on the newsstand cover dated May 1938, a good estimate would be around 350,000-450,000.

I suspect with Superman gaining popularity, they would print a bit more Detective Comics 27 introducing Bat-Man. Action Comics 12

was on the newsstand same time as Detective Comics 27 and both books pre-date Superman 1 by a few months. 2c

Thx Showcase for the guesstimate and the info about the newsstand comparison to Supes 1.   I always found it interesting that we could find a reference  to action 1  at 202,000 ( the trial with Fawcett ) , MC 1 at 880,000 ( both printings ). Supes 1 at 900,000 ( 3 printings ) and Cap 1 at a 1 M print run but not Tec 27. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was at the lower end of your guesstimate or even closer to Action 1s print run with guesstimates of survival and the article referenced above.  Certainly a lot less outside of Action 1 than any mentioned above. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

And it takes a guy with only 13 posts......

Thank you Turnado for what appears to be an excellent reference piece and welcome to the Boards !!!!!

It's something, but the actual print and/or distribution numbers might be lost to history and there's little chance of them ever becoming public knowledge even if they're not.

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's something, but the actual print and/or distribution numbers might be lost to history and there's little chance of them ever becoming public knowledge even if they're not.

But before this I thought it was going to take the worlds greatest detective to get close :)  

10 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

But before this I thought it was going to take the worlds greatest detective to get close :)  

You didn't need me after all. 

18 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’ve been asking for months under an array of different topics but no one seems to know. #SHOCKED!   What was the original print run of Detective Comics #27 ??  C’mon GA experts !  Help a Gold brother out !!

Less than a google ..........

Edited by 1950's war comics