• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller Claimed this is NM+ Amazing Spider-man 362

21 posts in this topic

I bought this from ebay for 15.00 dollars because seller claimed to be a NM+ The comic itself looks and no major dings or ticks anywhere but why does the pages look like there off center ? Also look at the back it looks even the staples look weird and not normal? Where the staples removed? Why is that one where the pages all sticking out like that What you guys think is explanation for this. What grade would this be realistically ?

20190111_224138.jpg

20190111_224151.jpg

20190111_224215.jpg

20190111_224236.jpg

20190111_224257.jpg

20190111_224309.jpg

20190111_224332.jpg

20190111_224341.jpg

20190111_224354.jpg

20190111_224405.jpg

20190111_224409.jpg

20190111_224425.jpg

20190111_224519.jpg

20190111_224525.jpg

20190111_224629.jpg

20190111_224643.jpg

20190111_224651.jpg

20190111_224714.jpg

20190111_224722.jpg

20190111_224736.jpg

20190111_224746.jpg

20190111_224758.jpg

Inked20190111_224651_LI.jpg

Inked20190111_224722_LI.jpg

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

It’s just a poorly wrapped/miscut book.  Not terribly uncommon during that time.  As for the pebbling...  The seller likely tried to press it themselves and had no idea what they were doing.  

whats pebbling? I am a newbie to comics  I think if your talking about the cover I took it with flash. What grade would you think this is? like less than 5.0?

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

No man, that book is not a 5.0...lol.  That looks to be at least a 9.4 judging by the pics but it is very hard to nail a grade on just pics.  In hand is the only way to truly grade a book super accurately.  As said above, the comic just has a miswrap/cut which is totally common on those ASM books.  You can see CGC graded copies of 361 with a pretty bad miswrap in 9.8 on ebay.

14 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

No man, that book is not a 5.0...lol.  That looks to be at least a 9.4 judging by the pics but it is very hard to nail a grade on just pics.  In hand is the only way to truly grade a book super accurately.  As said above, the comic just has a miswrap/cut which is totally common on those ASM books.  You can see CGC graded copies of 361 with a pretty bad miswrap in 9.8 on ebay.

Gradejunky so this miswrap is a common flaw? from a collector standpoint and people that want to get them slabbed how do you know if this issue in general had a miswrap or spine roll? How do you tell the difference if if its miswrap from publisher or from spine roll. Why do you say 9.4 what defects stand out to you that make it a 9.4 instead of 9.8 or 9.6 your right its impossible to grade from pictures. But surprised you said 9.4 instead of 9.2 or 9.6 you must of saw something at first glance.

Now I have no clue if the miswrap from other comics I buy is natural because how the comic was put together at the time of publication or its a bad book (sorry I am a newbie)

Yes I just googled some 9.8 cgc slabs of this issue #362 and the miswrap is very noticeable ! 

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

It just takes time.  You will see many copies of a given book over time and know what is printing related, and what is not.  I just say 9.4 at least judging by pics because to a give a grade of 9.8 just looking at pics is almost impossible to me.  I have to see the book in person to look for those tiny flaws that could hold it back from grading higher.

Again, grading takes time.  I have graded thousands upon thousands of comics and still learn things constantly.  When in doubt always undergrade.

Last question when grading comics how crucial are those minute corners bends or curves just from natural moving the comic in and out of a bag. I mean taking a book out of a bag no matter how careful you arethere is always that risk that a corner strikes very gently against the bag when you try to put in or corners come hit the side on the bag. I think its almost impossible to not have the corners effected, if you look at a corner even a regular sheet of printing paper even can get curved or bent by the slightest of touches. How much does CGC look at that I almost never seen a perfect corners on any ebay books I ever bought.

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

As for the pebbling...  The seller likely tried to press it themselves and had no idea what they were doing.  

Or maybe was simply not stored well. Or was stacked with other comics.

I am usually wary of sellers that list raw books as NM+.  It is too easy to miss something subtle.

The waviness of the book from the pics and the pebbling you describe are signs of an improperly pressed book.  The outer edge being that short is also a symptom of a book that was pressed poorly as the buffering board the presser tried to use was either misaligned or wedged too snug and was also too thick or a combination of both.

6 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Last question when grading comics how crucial are those minute corners bends or curves just from natural moving the comic in and out of a bag. I mean taking a book out of a bag no matter how careful you arethere is always that risk that a corner strikes very gently against the bag when you try to put in or corners come hit the side on the bag.

Lay the comic on the board before you put it in the bag.  The board is there to protect the corners, more so than keeping the book straight.

27 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

The waviness of the book from the pics and the pebbling you describe are signs of an improperly pressed book.  The outer edge being that short is also a symptom of a book that was pressed poorly as the buffering board the presser tried to use was either misaligned or wedged too snug and was also too thick or a combination of both.

100 percent! it looks like  a board was inserted in middle during the press , that could also cause the fanning effect. I would bet this book was pressed wrong.

When it comes to "high grade" (or any really) books the more you handle the book (remove from the bag, put back in the bag and read) the more damage or chance of damage will be present no matter how careful you are.

There are numerous threads on this subject and what should you do to prevent it, the general consensus is...

1)If not an expensive book buy two copies, one to store away and one to read.

2)Buy the book,store it away properly and never open/read it and read the story digitally online or on DVD.

If you would like to learn about grading/printing-bindery defects and overall defects from wear and tear with illustrations then I would recommend...

(You can get this on Amazon, eBay, etc.)

https://gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-2016-edition

Here is some other reference material for you.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

http://www.teako170.com/grade.html

On 1/12/2019 at 1:45 AM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Last question when grading comics how crucial are those minute corners bends or curves just from natural moving the comic in and out of a bag. I mean taking a book out of a bag no matter how careful you arethere is always that risk that a corner strikes very gently against the bag when you try to put in or corners come hit the side on the bag. I think its almost impossible to not have the corners effected, if you look at a corner even a regular sheet of printing paper even can get curved or bent by the slightest of touches. How much does CGC look at that I almost never seen a perfect corners on any ebay books I ever bought.

Use oversized Bags and Boards to prevent damage while taking it in and out.