• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing recommendations?

37 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Here is what the inside of the book looks like. Each page look like this. With the exception of actually burning the book, everything bad you can do to a book by pressing it improperly, was done to this book. 

bp2.thumb.jpg.fb8eaf1864e4e3931f4185a05d8b9991.jpg

Wow, much worse than the first pic made it look.  Those are some serious undulations (can't even call them creases or dents).  Almost looks like a towel imprint.  You'll have to post the after!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, comicquant said:

Wow, much worse than the first pic made it look.  Those are some serious undulations (can't even call them creases or dents).  Almost looks like a towel imprint.  You'll have to post the after!

This after one press. I knew one would not be enough.   

4EF11F83-4FB4-4AAA-BA24-EF147806EC9D.jpeg

Edited by joeypost

On 1/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, comicquant said:

After another press. 

It will need one final quick press to help everything lay flat  

CC72E681-F043-40EA-8CAC-BD197E45F320.thumb.jpeg.32b63109206fb2ede7474ad5df4c097b.jpeg

On 1/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, comicquant said:

Yikes, thats their "after" shot?  Based on the texture of the cover it looks like they used a gerber fullback as the platen buffer directly on the book.  Heat obviously too high.  Looks like they steamed it instead of humidified on a book that doesn't require (shouldn't have) either.  Either didn't have the right press or didn't press it long enough, or both.  Revivable though right?

C31D5FFE-993A-4698-A557-06DDA9A2915B.thumb.jpeg.696ea20ef2716463ee607403fed08a50.jpeg

Just now, comicquant said:

Man, what a transformation.  I didn't think you'd be able to get that out completely but its gone!  

Glossy paper is a nightmare. If this was pulp from a late bronze or copper age book I could have gotten those wrinkles out by looking at the book sternly. 

This is a classic example of someone thinking “I know what I am doing” and ruining a $500 book. If the heat used was 10 degrees higher this book would have been good for bird cage liner. Unfortunately this is not an isolated case, and I have to “undo” many books like this that have been damaged by guys that consider themselves professionals. 

On the plus side I get to try out new techniques without having to worry about ruining a book. 

37 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Glossy paper is a nightmare. If this was pulp from a late bronze or copper age book I could have gotten those wrinkles out by looking at the book sternly. 

This is a classic example of someone thinking “I know what I am doing” and ruining a $500 book. If the heat used was 10 degrees higher this book would have been good for bird cage liner. Unfortunately this is not an isolated case, and I have to “undo” many books like this that have been damaged by guys that consider themselves professionals. 

On the plus side I get to try out new techniques without having to worry about ruining a book. 

Nice work ! I thought you were in California at Terry's ? 

On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

'I think Bob is going to get in trouble hehe...' You are probably right. Bob seems to be getting into a lot of trouble lately. Boardies are humping away at the Report Post on Bomber-Bob. I'll never be a member of the Insider Club.   

Oh come on. It could be a LOT worse...

You could be me.

:banana:

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh come on. It could be a LOT worse...

You could be me.

:banana:

Funny but true. I think some of us are getting into trouble from just hanging around with you in certain threads. I really miss the 'Is grading strict currently' thread. It is still gone, right ?

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Funny but true. I think some of us are getting into trouble from just hanging around with you in certain threads. I really miss the 'Is grading strict currently' thread. It is still gone, right ?

I'm a bad influence...you better watch it, next thing you know, I'll have you smoking in the boy's room...

And for the record, neither you nor I had anything to do with that thread's poofage, multiple margaritas notwithstanding. :D

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm a bad influence...you better watch it, next thing you know, I'll have you smoking in the boy's room...

And for the record, neither you nor I had anything to do with that thread's poofage, multiple margaritas notwithstanding. :D

Yes, the night before was margarita night but I thought the exchanges were 'okay', there was no arguments or name calling, the 'usual' suspects when a thread disappears. I think the thread was gone the next morning. I assumed CGC got tired of the critique on their grading. Do you know what happened ?

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, the night before was margarita night but I thought the exchanges were 'okay', there was no arguments or name calling, the 'usual' suspects when a thread disappears. I think the thread was gone the next morning. I assumed CGC got tired of the critique on their grading. Do you know what happened ?

I truly, sincerely hope that no one at CGC got tired, or ever gets tired, of the critique on their grading. Third party grading works when it is a consensus; people, with opposing interests, who agree on the condition of the item being graded. If (or when) we reach a point where it's "the grade is what we tell you it is, and if you question it, we'll make things difficult for you", then third party grading will be finished.

No third party grader can afford to curtail critique. That's not how it works, and everyone involved in graded books...buyer, seller, grader...should keep that firmly in mind at all times. If we all do, then it will continue to succeed. If we don't...the process will eventually fail. It is vital to the interests of all involved that educated people, acting in good faith, should be free and able to have open and fair discussions about the process. While it may sting to be critiqued, the responsible person will consider it, and it keeps everyone honest.

All that notwithstanding, I don't think that had anything to do with why the thread was locked and done away with.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I truly, sincerely hope that no one at CGC got tired, or ever gets tired, of the critique on their grading. Third party grading works when it is a consensus; people, with opposing interests, who agree on the condition of the item being graded. If (or when) we reach a point where it's "the grade is what we tell you it is, and if you question it, we'll make things difficult for you", then third party grading will be finished.

No third party grader can afford to curtail critique. That's not how it works, and everyone involved in graded books...buyer, seller, grader...should keep that firmly in mind at all times. If we all do, then it will continue to succeed. If we don't...the process will eventually fail. It is vital to the interests of all involved that educated people, acting in good faith, should be free and able to have open and fair discussions about the process. While it may sting to be critiqued, the responsible person will consider it, and it keeps everyone honest.

All that notwithstanding, I don't think that had anything to do with why the thread was locked and done away with.

I agree with your comments but what did happen ? I'm assuming you don't know either. (shrug)Now we will never get to nominate that thread for best name.