• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now that we're in the new year...
1 1

30 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea exactly what is CGC's reasoning as to why they can't be slabbed?  hm

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me since they seem to be able to slab other irregular size books and/or books which are known to have more than just the one print.  ???

It is easy to copy it , so hard to differentiate between the real copies.

I can tell the difference though. I have studied all the subtleties of the book.

So, you are basically saying that it is really more than just a first print and second print issue as denoted by Overstreet in the Guide? hm

If it involves counterfeit copies then, I assume it must be better quality then the Cerebus 1 counterfeits since CGC does slab copies of Cerebus 1.  (shrug)

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, you are basically saying that it is really more than just a first print and second print issue as denoted by Overstreet in the Guide? hm

If it involves counterfeit copies then, I assume it must be better quality then the Cerebus 1 counterfeits since CGC does slab copies of Cerebus 1.  (shrug)

Overstate does have a note stating to beware of counterfeit copies.

Since the book is black and white it's probably harder to differentiate between the real and fake copies. Real copies however have a deep looking print on the black print. Copies would be equal as the white part of the book.

36 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since the book is black and white it's probably harder to differentiate between the real and fake copies. Real copies however have a deep looking print on the black print. Copies would be equal as the white part of the book.

Well, I assume bidders for this book must then be taking a bit of a gamble since I see supposedly first prints going for over the one or two thousand dollar range in the Heritage archives, and yet we see it selling for quite a bit lower on the CL auction website?  (shrug)

56 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I agree, Dave.  I had this same problem/question when I purchased my B&W copy of "If the Devil Would Talk".  I was told CGC would not grade it (even though others will).

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I assume bidders for this book must then be taking a bit of a gamble since I see supposedly first prints going for over the one or two thousand dollar range in the Heritage archives, and yet we see it selling for quite a bit lower on the CL auction website?  (shrug)

Well I would be sure that an auction house would make sure of its provenance.  

43 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I agree, Dave.  I had this same problem/question when I purchased my B&W copy of "If the Devil Would Talk".  I was told CGC would not grade it (even though others will).

Nice! 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, Skylath said:

What are you all looking forward to in 2019's comic related repertoire? 

I'm pretty excited to see the Darkness from Top Cow come back little less excited that Jackie Estacado and Sara Pezzini won't be main characters

Also the new Captain Marvel movie looks pretty good, can't wait to take a gander at it! Plus Spawn will be hitting the big 300, which means it'll be rivaling Cerberus (?) as the longest running independent comic once it surpasses 301!

Gold digger and knights of the dinner table are hot on spawn's tail at 259 and 265, respectively.

19 hours ago, Hudson said:
20 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Well, it's quite possible that Borock and West with their decades of collecting experience, as compared to the relative newbies at CGC, have come across these books many times in their journeys and simply have much more confidence that they can differentiate between a real and a counterfeit copy.  hm  (thumbsu