• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this ink??
1 1

22 posts in this topic

So I have heard that years and years ago, when stores got comics in, they would ink them, or the way I understand, roll an “inker ball” across the edges to mark them. Inventory perhaps? Is this true?

Anyways, I came across this ASM 129 that has ink on it. A lot of it, unfortunately. So much that the pages are all warped. I was curious if this could be this “marking” ink or did this book just have a very unfortunate accident? I have seen other graded ASM 129’s on eBay that has this same color ink on it and it made me wonder. 

Secondly...do you think a pressing would help this book at all? Is it worth sending in to get graded?

Thank you all!!! 

Chris

40311E34-00BD-4215-A895-F71D512BB2E3.jpeg

523EB980-D490-4774-A693-7CDDCE961D69.jpeg

DDB5EC4E-19F2-4534-BD41-38DFBA88C17F.jpeg

04F7685D-0555-44D2-A7AF-654CFF939E9D.jpeg

2C8B1B8F-D3AF-4998-A3DB-B7CE6204965F.jpeg

Edited by Christopher Lavine
Typos

From what I understand, the sides of bound stacks of comics were marked with different colors of ink to help facilitate their distribution. Usually the ink was applied in a less obtrusive fashion than the example you've shown. I've seen CGC graders be very tough on this type of flaw, basically treating it like a stain (which it is, actually). Pressing certainly won't remove the ink, but it could help the rippling effect. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this really is a stunning example of ink run amok...

2 hours ago, Christopher Lavine said:

So I have heard that years and years ago, when stores got comics in, they would ink them, or the way I understand, roll an “inker ball” across the edges to mark them. Inventory perhaps? Is this true?

Distributors, not stores.

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

From what I understand, the sides of bound stacks of comics were marked with different colors of ink to help facilitate their distribution. Usually the ink was applied in a less obtrusive fashion than the example you've shown. I've seen CGC graders be very tough on this type of flaw, basically treating it like a stain (which it is, actually). Pressing certainly won't remove the ink, but it could help the rippling effect. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this really is a stunning example of ink run amok...

Thank you! Even if that rippling cleaned up with a press, I’d be stoked. Thanks!!  

I know CGC has its own standards and the case show above is severe, however, in general...

From Heritage Auctions...

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect. 

From CGC...

Distributor Painted Stripes (Distro Ink). Color ink painted or sprayed onto the edges of comic book stacks as a special coding used by distributors.

"As I read these definitions, the key idea seems to be that local magazine distributors used to color-code the tops of their comic books and magazines as a way of signaling their delivery guys when it was time to remove issues from the racks and replace them with fresh issues. That is, the stripes were a kind of expiration date code for books and magazines, readable only by delivery guys and others in the know."

"Note that the Heritage Auction Galleries definition says that distributor stripes are not a defect. Indeed, it would have been almost impossible to buy non-distributor-striped comic books in the 1960's, and, in fact, one might well turn this around and say that genuine distributor stripes are one of the indicators of the vintage of certain books."

I totally agree with the above statement (not my statement), to me (IMO only) this goes right along with Subscription Creases, Date Stamps, Remainder Copies, this is/was all part of the history of comic books when I was growing up in the 60's along with simplified storylines and the reasons I still enjoy these books today, they bring back memories, make me feel nostalgic and give me a "warm, fuzzy" feeling inside...:cloud9:

Honestly, isn't that what it is all about???!!! :x

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I know CGC has its own standards and the case show above is severe, however, in general...

From Heritage Auctions...

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect. 

From CGC...

Distributor Painted Stripes (Distro Ink). Color ink painted or sprayed onto the edges of comic book stacks as a special coding used by distributors.

"As I read these definitions, the key idea seems to be that local magazine distributors used to color-code the tops of their comic books and magazines as a way of signaling their delivery guys when it was time to remove issues from the racks and replace them with fresh issues. That is, the stripes were a kind of expiration date code for books and magazines, readable only by delivery guys and others in the know."

"Note that the Heritage Auction Galleries definition says that distributor stripes are not a defect. Indeed, it would have been almost impossible to buy non-distributor-striped comic books in the 1960's, and, in fact, one might well turn this around and say that genuine distributor stripes are one of the indicators of the vintage of certain books."

I totally agree with the above statement (not my statement), to me (IMO only) this goes right along with Subscription Creases, Date Stamps, Remainder Copies, this is/was all part of the history of comic books when I was growing up in the 60's along with simplified storylines and the reasons I still enjoy these books today, they bring back memories, make me feel nostalgic and give me a "warm, fuzzy" feeling inside...:cloud9:

Honestly, isn't that what it is all about???!!! :x

However, when discussing CGC grading, the severity of the flaw needs to be recognized. While CGC is lenient on some flaws, anything in excess will bring out the hammer. This example is extreme and I feel it would be downgraded accordingly. I would not bother to slab it. It would also be a difficult sell. It's just not worth investing any more money into it.  Sell it, as is, as a reader copy and move on. 

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

However, when discussing CGC grading, the severity of the flaw needs to be recognized. While CGC is lenient on some flaws, anything in excess will bring out the hammer. This example is extreme and I feel it would be downgraded accordingly. I would not bother to slab it. It would also be a difficult sell. It's just not worth investing any more money into it.  Sell it, as is, as a reader copy and move on. 

19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I agree. I had a GS X-Men that had a 1 inch purple coating on the front cover will never forget it.:facepalm:

They are not worth slabbing in that condition, but you can press out the rippling if you want to make it
look better.

However, IMO...

Although it may not be worth having it graded, having that copy of ASM 129 which is a key book is better than having no copy at all.

This is great info. Thanks everyone. Not having it slabbed would save some cash. I just thought having it slabbed might fetch more. But you’re right...if I saw this book, I wouldn’t but it. Thanks all. Lots of great points to be had here. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:35 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes I agree. I had a GS X-Men that had a 1 inch purple coating on the front cover will never forget it.:facepalm:

They are not worth slabbing in that condition, but you can press out the rippling if you want to make it
look better.

Wow pressing can get a ripple like that out? That’s a pretty serious ripple. 2C8B1B8F-D3AF-4998-A3DB-B7CE6204965F.jpeg.db0061cb6ff920c92921a5531ecc6bfb.thumb.jpg.cf90560a329f0f51ede2c59f9e35aa84.jpg

Edited by dfx1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:03 AM, dfx1 said:

Wow pressing can get a ripple like that out? That’s a pretty serious ripple. 2C8B1B8F-D3AF-4998-A3DB-B7CE6204965F.jpeg.db0061cb6ff920c92921a5531ecc6bfb.thumb.jpg.cf90560a329f0f51ede2c59f9e35aa84.jpg

I feel the same. 😒

I am sending it in with my next batch of submissions to see what a pressing can do and will post pics and a report when I get it back. Thanks for all your help, everyone!! 

Soooo...I sent this into CGC for just a CCS pressing. Either I filled out the paperwork wrong or wires got crossed somewhere and it ended up getting pressed and graded. I’m ok with that. It is what it is. I will sell at a price reflecting the ink, and the grade is the grade. Solid and objective. It came back a 5.5. I’m happy with that. Very. But what I am most impressed with is the results of the pressing. I am shocked at how amazing it came back. Not only with the ripple but it looks like some of the ink on the back actually faded or was cleaned!! First...the important before shots...

CD71AC53-2335-4069-A9CE-E3EFC0F469E3.jpeg

21395C39-08DA-4D4F-ABA0-28A15BA265DF.jpeg

This was my first real look into the pressing and grading of things like this distributors ink. I am quite intrigued by the results. Makes me wanna look through my collection to see what else might be worth a nice pressing! Thanks to all for all the amazing info. I’m learning so much on here. It’s amazing. 

That's a pretty impressive ripple press!  I wonder if they photographed it and would use it for future "before/after" publicity shots.

What track did you send that in on?  If you sent mid January and got it pressed and graded, and now in hand by mid Feb, that was awesomely fast.  I'm still waiting for the move from "Received to Verified" on three I sent in for Modern Pressing and Grading (normal, not fast track), received by CGC/CCS on 11/6/2019.  I just got the CCS notification that the pressing work is complete, but still showing "received" with CGC.  So I find the speed yours got done as very impressive...

This turnaround did seem quite fast. I think something got messed up somewhere as I mentioned. I just checked my initial order sheet and I def only sent it in for a “Standard” pressing. No grading. I was so confused when I saw it in the “Grading” status. But it turned around quick and the pics show it as it is.  Good luck! Hope you see your books back soon! 

14 hours ago, Christopher Lavine said:

This was my first real look into the pressing and grading of things like this distributors ink. I am quite intrigued by the results. Makes me wanna look through my collection to see what else might be worth a nice pressing! Thanks to all for all the amazing info. I’m learning so much on here. It’s amazing. 

Awesome for you to follow up.