• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer on ebay want's me to ship to different address than listed
1 1

28 posts in this topic

So I just had a decent sale on ebay and the buyer messaged me.  I guess he just moved and did not change his paypal address and wants me to edit the address manually(which you can do), but I'm a little concerned.  He has low feedback and it is all over a year old!  Also, obviously if the 2 addresses don't jive, I could be out the books if he decides to play me and Paypal does not cover me.  Should I just message him and tell him no go?  Can he change his address through paypal and it shows up on the shipping page?  Or should I just refund him and tell him to rebuy when he fixes it? Thanks

tell him um if you moved you're gunna hafta change your paypal addy anyway so why not do it now!!  If he some excuse say sorry sounds like yer tryin ta scam me buddy-BLOCKED.

This just happened to me with an ebay sale of my old iphone.  Immediately after the sale was complete I get a message saying i should send it to his work address.  I said NO.  The article I read said  you need to cancel the sale, say it was the buyers fault, let him change his address thru Paypal/ebay.  Then redo the sale.  This sounds like a giant PITA.  My buyer finally relented and it went to the original address.  Hope yours works out.

I had the same thing happen to me on a Facebook sale. The buyer said he moved and never changed his address. I told him change it 1st and i'll ship the book. He told me he changed it but he used Friends or Family thru PayPal so it didn't show his address anyways since it wasn't a transaction. He PMd me the address and I sent it off. Have no idea now if it was legit or what. But thru eBay always ship to verified address. No exceptions.

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am brutally honest with things like this. PayPal and eBay BOTH want verified addresses. So what is the solution? 

It's not your problem. 

So here are your options:

You can ship to the address indicated in the purchase order and mail will catch up with them.  

Cancel the order. eBay has an option that now says "buyer wants me to ship it to an address that I don't ship to" or something like that. 

I make zero exceptions for this.  I don't care what the circumstances are. I don't care how it happened.  Either I am shipping to the address that offers seller protection or we are not doing business. I save myself a lot of headaches int the long run. 

+1  Totally agreed. Must have a verified address in no matter what.  I am sure that you don't want your book(s) into an oblivion.

I just got my first negative on eBay for this. A woman asked me to ship to another address because they were traveling for Christmas, I told her to change her address with eBay because I would send to whatever address was generated when I made the label from her payment. I did just that, then got a negative because I shipped to her Florida address on the payment when she told me via e-mail to ship to North Carolina. I complained to eBay but so far the negative is still there. She said that the eBay rep told her over the phone that an e-mail with a new address was fine.

40 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Have you Googled the new address he wants you to use? A lot of times it will show up as a drop ship scam address. 

I did that once when I noticed the address was not verified in PP account. My hunch told me to check the address via Google Map. There was a empty lot.  I decided to report it to both eBay and PayPal before ship the book. The buyer's both accounts were suspended indefinitely until further notice. Eventually I checked to see if the account was active but it is no longer in use. That was three years ago. I was still paid and decided to contact PP and informed them the fund was still unclaimed in my account. They acknowledged it but the fund was never claimed so I kept it after six months.

I would be a victim for the lost/stolen mail or other way.  Thanks to Google Map and PayPal.

Edited by JollyComics

I've done this a couple of times for people who wanted something delivered at their work address and have a solid buyer history, but I'd be leery of a low feedback buyer with no purchases for a while. I certainly wouldn't do it for a zero fb buyer. 

Well I just refunded the money thru PP this morning, but am now having issues cancelling the order because ebay wants to refund the $$$ a 2nd time....wtf!  Had to call ebay and get them to cancel the transaction and give me a refund on FVFee.  Still waiting on this to happen.  I didn't know the process to do this correctly so now I'm in a loop.  Thanks for all the advice!

So this might not be exactly the same situation, but as a Canadian buyer I use a U.S. address when buyers refuse to ship up here. It isn’t verified through PayPal but is registered as an alternate through Ebay. I just drive down and pick them up when they’re delivered.

No complaints or problems yet. 

When I move, I put in a change of address with the post office and my mail  is forwarded to that new address for at least one year. If this person recently moved, the package should make it to them as long as they filled out that form.

Sounds fishy - don't ship.

PS-- the whole cancel thing has to be done in the correct order or it totally screws you up. I learned that myself the first time. Now I only cancel via the ebay app-- they take care of the pay pall stuff and the fees that way.

Edited by 01TheDude