• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Give me your top 10 favorite comic artists
2 2

129 posts in this topic

Jack Kirby

Jim Starlin

Bernie Wrightson

John Byrne

Frank Miller

Walt Simonson

John Buscema

Carl Barks

Will Eisner

Joe Kubert

Honerable mention

Neal Adams

Steranko

Harvey Kurtzman

Kaluta

Barry Smith

Dave Cockrum

George Perez

Paul Gulacy

Michael Golden 

Marshall Rogers

In alphabetical order: 

Neal Adams 
Matt Baker 
Frank Frazetta 
Graham Ingles 
Todd McFarlane 
Moebius 
Alex Schomburg 
Bill Sienkiewicz 
Wally Wood
Bernie Wrightston 

I couldn't give my top 10 without giving the runs that I associate with them so here it goes:

1. Arthur Adams-  His copper age covers:  He wasn't the best interior artist when it came to flow or storytelling, but his covers were unbeatable and he is the epitome of quality over quantity.

2. Steve Ditko- ASM 1-38:  There was never a better fit for somebody than those early ASM issues.  He was as much style as substance and he was a master of flow and story telling as well.  You could just look at the pictures and not read the words and still know what was going on. 

3. John Byrne / Terry Austin X-Men 108-143:  I couldn't put Byrne w/o Austin.  There is not an objectively better combo in existence that lasted this long.  There was simply no way to improve upon the work these two did.

4. Mike Zeck- Punisher mini-series and Captain America:  The Punisher mini in particular is, I think, the finest thing that involves the Punisher.  It defined the character and showed that he could carry his own series.  Zeck's artwork was forever attached to this in my mind.

5. Barry Smith- Conan 1-24:  A lot of What I said about Ditko ASM applies here.  Such a great fit and a perfect balance of style and substance.

6. Jim Lee- Uncanny X-Men 256-277 and PWJ 6-13:  I thought he was the best of the "rockstar" lineup Marvel had at that time.  These were also some of the first issues I saw on the newstand as a kid.  To this day nobody has drawn a better Punisher or Wolverine.

7. Todd McFarlane - Hulk 340-345 and ASM 298-328:  Nothing I can say here that hasn't been said already.  I must add that IMO he fell off starting with Spiderman series. 

8:  Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men 165-175:  Classy looking work and associated with some of the best stories in X-Men history.  Didn't last long enough however.

9. Frank Miller/Klaus Janson- Daredevil 168-184:  Perfectly balanced and each page had it's desired impact.  Like Byrne and Austin these two just worked well together. I must say that anything after TDKR I am not a fan of. 

10. Jack Kirby-  Any Marvel prior to 1966.  I love Kirby's pre-hero Marvel's and I love how his early super-hero stuff still has that pre-hero Marvel feel.  Something had changed by the later FF issues.  While still very good, they just lack the mystique of his early Marvel work.

Honorable Mentions:

Erik Larsen ASM 329-350 (I am probably alone on this.)

JRJR- Daredevil 250-285 or so.

Ron Lim's late copper Captain America and Silver Surfer stuff.  

John Buscema Wolverine 1-16 (I am probably alone on this as well)

Marc Silvestri (Uncanny X-men 221-255)

Rob Liefield- New Mutants 86-100.  His stuff starting with X-Force became hard to look at, kind of like McFarlane on the Spiderman self titled series.

Neal Adams DC stuff.

Kaluta House of Mystery covers.

Romita SR ASM 

Wally Wood Daredevil

Dave Cockrum Uncanny X-Men

I could go on but I've said too much already. 

Edited by Von Cichlid

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

How does Neal Adams NOT make everyone's list?? I guess because it specifically asks "favorite" instead of "greatest," but I'm still curious why at a glance half the respondents left him off. 

I know he's done some things at cons that irk people that wait in line to see him, but surely he is one of the most organic and skilled artists to ever grace the medium...  (shrug)

I agree. If it was my favorite Batman artist , Neal Adams would b3 at the top of my list. The first thing that I would ever think of as far as artists period would be Frazetta and Wrightson. 

Great lists so far...here's mine in no particular order:

Frazetta

Steranko

Wood

Kirby

Ditko

Heath

Williamson

Adams

Corben

Wrightson

and an honorable mention goes to Reed Crandall, Graham Ingels, Bill Everett, Barry Windsor-Smith, Mike Ploog, Frank Brunner, Ralph Reese, John Romita, Tom Sutton, Alfredo Alcala and John Severin... 

Edited by The Lions Den

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

list was just for laughs ... i like everyone actually !! (except for liefeld)  lol 

I hear that! I really have like 20 or more favs, just couldnt fit em all.

I mean who doesn't love Steranko,  Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, Gene Colan. I could list more but you guys all know who they are.:)

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I considered doing a “no-love” list with just artists who had not been named! So many great creators in this hobby!

...and nothing’s stopping me, so...

Mort Meskin

George Tuska

Wil Elder

Basil Wolverton 

Joe Simon

Joe Sinnott

Evan Dorkin

Marie Severin

Ross Andru

Krigstein

Edited by KirbyJack
Al was listed

I'm with others here, favorite and most accomplished aren't always the same thing. The first ten favorites that come to mind follow, though there are probably others I could swap out depending on mood. 

Dan Clowes

Robert Crumb

Kim Dietch

Herge

Jack Kirby

Thomas Ott

Sean Phillips

Eduardo Risso

Alex Schomburg

Alex Toth