• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Give me your top 10 favorite comic artists
2 2

129 posts in this topic

Wow, tough choice at 10. Closest I can do is 11. I didn't read any one's else choices so I wouldn't be swayed. Will go alphabetical since these could change in order depending on my mood. 

Baker, Matt

Barks, Carl

Cole, L.B.

Crumb, Robert

Feldstein, Al

Frazetta, Frank

Schomburg, Alex

Stevens, Dave

Williamson, Al

Wood, Wally

Wrightson, Bernie

I know, I'm leaving some one out but these are the ones that came out of my head first.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, tough choice at 10. Closest I can do is 11. I didn't read any one's else choices so I wouldn't be swayed. Will go alphabetical since these could change in order depending on my mood. 

Baker, Matt

Barks, Carl

Cole, L.B.

Crumb, Robert

Feldstein, Al

Frazetta, Frank

Schomburg, Alex

Stevens, Dave

Williamson, Al

Wood, Wally

Wrightson, Bernie

I know, I'm leaving some one out but these are the ones that came out of my head first.

Going 11 gives me free reign to BUMP any artist I don't like for the final talley :popcorn:  :grin:

There are so many good artist out there. My list could of been 20 with no problem at all but here are 10 that I really like.

Jack Kirby

Frank Frazetta

Al Williamson

Bernie Wrightson

Alex Ross

George Perez

Alex Schomburg

Bill Everett

John Buscema

Jim Steranko

In no particular order: Jim Lee

Alan Davis

Milo Manara

Joe Madureira

Dale Eaglesham 

Jack Kirby

Dave Cockrum

Salvador Larocca

Frank Cho

Carlos Pacheco

In Alphabetical Order by last name:

Matt Baker
Reed Crandall
Will Eisner
Lou Fine
Frank Frazetta
Joe Maneely
Alex Schomburg
Bill Sienkiewicz
Jim Steranko
Wally Wood

If I had to say top 4 I'd say:

Will Eisner
Frank Frazetta
Bill Sienkiewicz
Jim Steranko

Those 4, IMO, changed things in major ways when they were in their prime.

Edited by thunsicker

In order:

Byrne

Aragones

Jim Lee

Paul Smith

Romita Sr

Kubert Sr

N Adams

McFarlane

G Perez

J Buscema

I'm not entirely sure how to answer the question because while professional artists are for the most part really consistent, there are some whose work in specific titles is exceptional, while in others...not so much.  I'm thinking of Byrne's X-Men and FF runs vs. anything he's done since 1998 or so.  I find his self-inked work to be really muddy and misproportioned, but ymmv.  Also, do I consider people who have small contributions to the genre but who have excelled elsewhere?  Hal Foster has one original cover credit but his Prince Valiant work can and does go up against anything done by anyone.  Also, while i consider Alex Schmoberg to be a titan in the field, I much prefer his airbrushed covers and would put them high enough to make my top ten but the line work pulls it back down again (as excellent as it is. It's just not top ten for me, sorry to all the Schomburg fans out there).

So in the spirit of contribution, I'll list some artists whose work I have, at one point or another, just been dumbfounded over.  In no order, except maybe the first one.

Jaime Hernandez - yeah he owes a lot to DeCarlo, and his subject matter doesnt really lend himself to wide appeal, but there are some spreads in L & R that just make me go "wow!"  the man is a master of storytelling and figure work.

Wrightson - goes without saying.  His comic work is pretty slim pickings past covers, but the stuff that is out there is just amazing.

Frazetta - see above.

Michael Golden - gotamighty this guy's work really suffers from the awful color separations and cheap paper most of his best stuff is printed on.

Art Adams - That X-Men Annual.  I mean, holy mackerel dude

Howard Chaykin - Really and truly almost solely due to American Flagg! Vol. 1, 1-10.  He does do the lingerie thing pretty well though.

Frank Miller - All the stuff from basically DD 158 to 300.

Russ Heath - I can't imagine what his legacy would have been if DC had let him do some superhero books.

Ryan Ottley - This I'm not 100% certain of.  His run on Invincible was otherworldly until they made him stop inking his own stuff, which really hurt the quality.  I don't know what else he's done but man that book was on point artwise there for a while

Gil Kane - a weakness of mine.  Nostril shots notwithstanding, the guy was the pinnacle of figurative dynamism for me growing up.

honestly my list would probably change depending on the day, and include some of these as well; Kirby, Kelly, Perez, Mobieus, Takeda, Otomo, Anderson, Byrne, Xela, Gibbons, Liberatore, Hughes, Sienkiewicz, Adams, Cho, Schultz, Frazetta, Raboy etc etc