• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Give me your top 10 favorite comic artists
2 2

129 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

Good to see Mooney on the list his work went way back and so overlooked :headbang:

I've read some of his 70s work at Marvel in remastered digital form, and it's really quite nice.

Well above average.

4 hours ago, s.krank said:

JRJR doesn't get enough respect:

s-l1600-305.thumb.jpg.3138aea5fe037a512dd3977f57f3ea1e.jpg

From his best art period, inked by Al Williamson.

Edited by Ken Aldred

My Top Ten list seems to change every few years as I come to appreciate an artist moreso than prior years, and vice-versa.  However, some things have remained consistent, and the following artists have never been in my Top Ten: Kirby, Toth, Fraz, Schulz, Golden, N. Adams

Here's my current Top Ten list:

1. Al Williamson

2. Dale Keown

3. Steve Ditko

4.  Frank Miller

4. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

6. John Romita Sr

7.  John Romita Jr

8.  Paul Smith

9.  Marshall Rogers

10. Walt Simonson

On 1/19/2019 at 3:51 PM, Ken Aldred said:

From his best art period, inked by Al Williamson.

JRJr gets a lot of hate on the boards, but I love his stuff, particularly when inked by Janson. His stuff has a real kinetic energy. He didn't make my Top 11, but he'd probably find a spot in my top 20.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

4. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

Yup. A great artist who rarely gets mentioned on the boards.

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

JRJr gets a lot of hate on the boards, but I love his stuff, particularly when inked by Janson. His stuff has a real kinetic energy. He didn't make my Top 11, but he'd probably find a spot in my top 20.

I see what you're saying with the kinetic energy comment when I consider DD 257.  That was one action packed fight with the Punisher and the sequencing was amazing.  I loved that issue as a kid.  If this is some of the worst art somebodies ever seen, then I don't know what books they've been reading.

13.png

16.png

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. A great artist who rarely gets mentioned on the boards.

Most of the comic fans of my generation don't realize that when they are thinking of the "classic" DC character look, they're thinking of Garcia Lopez. His work on the branding/merchandising of the characters is truly iconic.

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Most of the comic fans of my generation don't realize that when they are thinking of the "classic" DC character look, they're thinking of Garcia Lopez. His work on the branding/merchandising of the characters is truly iconic.

True. A lot of the mainstream images you see now on drinking glasses. greeting cards, etc its his classic look!

On 1/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, F For Fake said:

I like JRJR especially his older work but he does get a lot of hate!

I think the problem is a lot of his work from the 2000's is very rushed! I don't think it looks as good as when he worked on ASM in the 80s 2c

No particular order:

Steranko

Neal Adams

BWS

Alex Ross

Gil Kane

Wrightson

Frazetta

Vallejo

Frank Miller

John Buscema

JRSR

Adam Hughes

Can't cut it off at just 10, the rest are too far from this pack so I grouped it at 12.

I'd love to list my top 10 however I'm constantly  surprised at artists I never knew about and I'm learning more each day. Only recently I found out about Earl Norem and now I'm a fan. I'm also prone to pick E.C and Marvel although if I was to choose it would go like this:

1/ Kirby

2/ Ditko

3/ Romita sr

4/ Sutton

5/ Ayers

6/ Wood

7/ Davis

8/ Craig

9/ Colan

10/ Engels

Heroes all!:foryou:  Honourable mention to Robinson and Sprang.

Edited by tv horror

On 1/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, F For Fake said:

I actually hate Janson's inks over JR. I think JRJR needs a Terry Austin inking his stuff.