• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
3 3

203 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
On 1/14/2019 at 7:19 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Still, HA clearly has the advantage over the other 2 for this round.

Depends on your niche. For the handful (hopefully more) collectors of centaurs, the cc auction is about as good as it gets. Some books there have never been auctioned before (even when berk sold) :)

Well, based upon the usual museum quality and way beyond my price range books which now seems to show up in almost every single Heritage auction, I can tell you for sure that much more of my time will be spent bidding on the HTF and almost never seen Centaur books in this upcoming CC auction.   :luhv:  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Does anyone else remember the days when Golden Age 9.8's were considered rare?

If you look through the 1939 Newstand thread you can see why, the vast majority are displayed in a manner which would not let them meet even a 9.4 grade fresh off the stand.

31 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

If you look through the 1939 Newstand thread you can see why, the vast majority are displayed in a manner which would not let them meet even a 9.4 grade fresh off the stand.

FWIW, these are probably the best copies of these books that didn't come out of Edgar church's basement. I've been poking around the Superman census recently and there are only three 9.8s total from the 1940s. All three are in this auction. 

Just now, MrBedrock said:

That is sort of misleading. 80% or so have some degree of foxing. Less than 40% have other moisture damage, and many of those are minor. At least one in five of the Larson copies that I have seen or owned have essentially no downgradable moisture damage.

Out of the 1000 or so Larson Copies, only a few have graded higher than 9.2. While I agree many are lower grade due to handling defects, most IMO are not in the 9.4+  range due to the conditions they were exposed to, regardless of other additional handling defects they incurred.

2 minutes ago, Timely said:

Out of the 1000 or so Larson Copies, only a few have graded higher than 9.2. While I agree many are lower grade due to handling defects, most IMO are not in the 9.4+  range due to the conditions they were exposed to, regardless of other additional handling defects they incurred.

You have handled more Larsons than probably anyone. You have to admit that saying 99% of them have moisture damage, even as just your opinion, is misleading.

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

You have handled more Larsons than probably anyone. You have to admit that saying 99% of them have moisture damage, even as just your opinion, is misleading.

To varying degrees, 99% of them do, whether on the cover, back cover or page edges. But, I will say some only have a few spots of foxing while some are quite excessive.

21 minutes ago, Timely said:

To varying degrees, 99% of them do, whether on the cover, back cover or page edges. But, I will say some only have a few spots of foxing while some are quite excessive.

To varying degrees every comic ever published has been exposed to some moisture.