• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
3 3

203 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I think all of the issues I listed out have been observed on books worked on by people folks would be considered mainstream book mechanics. 

It was apparent around the time of the Cole Schave thread that CCS had amped up the heat and/or humidity in order to reduce cycle time. That made cover shrinkage worse, but there were signs of it on books even before that. If you can see newsprint all the way up the right edge of a book, then it may well have suffered some cover shrinkage (although it isn't a certainty).

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

cover re-wrap  this is where someone inject a spine roll to push spine defects to the back cover where they are graded less harshly. Good post of an Avengers 1 having this treatment.

I believe the Mark Wilson cabal initiated this, now copied by others. 

Overall, I think these books look terrible.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Speaking of Mark Wilson and some of his comic book optimization techniques. :devil:

With the new  restoration guidelines which were put in place a couple of years ago, has CGC now moved wet cleaning out of the Restoration category and into the Conservation category:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4084/

I know that Mark was notorious for wet cleaning virtually all of his books back in the day on the premise that he did not considered that type of work to be restoration.  Is CGC starting to also lean that way if they are now saying that water or solvent cleaning of covers and interiors now falls under Conservation?  Or does it depend on the type of material used and could still fall under Restoration if the wrong type of material is used?  ???

On 1/17/2019 at 11:14 PM, batman_fan said:
On 1/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, sacentaur said:

Overall, I think these books look terrible.

I agree, just plan fuggly books. 

Didn't CGC say they were now on the lookout for this spine realignment trick and would downgrade for it? I thought they may have posted something to that effect in the epic thread that discussed this issue a few years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Didn't CGC say they were now on the lookout for this spine realignment trick and would downgrade for it? I thought they may have posted something to that effect in the epic thread that discussed this issue a few years ago. 

I am not sure how they are doing it and why they weren't in the 1st place given how jacked up they looked.  Again, grade the book in front of you, don't ask "was this done at the time of production or afterwards". It doesn't matter.  

16 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I am not sure how they are doing it and why they weren't in the 1st place given how jacked up they looked.  Again, grade the book in front of you, don't ask "was this done at the time of production or afterwards". It doesn't matter.  

I'm with you on that. The market often disagrees with CGC's decisions on production-related v. non-production-related defects. 

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Mark Wilson is now a consignment director at Heritage.

Now isn’t that a name associated with some controversy?

Guess not anymore.