• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
3 3

203 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wait, I may have missed something here.  Is there a thought that the Timely prices were soft in Heritage?

Probably depends on whether you're looking at it from the standpoint of a buyer or seller.   ;)

...But soft wouldn't be my description.

23 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

Supes prices were very soft.

I'm a contrarian and I think now is a good time to buy Supes and ACs.  They don't know what the hell to do with this character in the movies, it's all been a bit of a disaster lately and once that is squared away, he'll return to grace.  I started loading up on Joker covers a year ago and all they've done is go up and up as we get closer to what looks like it might be a decent movie and I don't think that's a coincidence.

1 hour ago, atomised said:

I'm a contrarian and I think now is a good time to buy Supes and ACs.  They don't know what the hell to do with this character in the movies, it's all been a bit of a disaster lately and once that is squared away, he'll return to grace.  I started loading up on Joker covers a year ago and all they've done is go up and up as we get closer to what looks like it might be a decent movie and I don't think that's a coincidence.

You hit the nail on the head, I'll go even one step further and ask what the heck is there to figure out?!? They are trying to make him relateable?!? Oh yeah, of all the characters with super powers, the guy from another planet is the hardest to identify with. Never mind turning big and green when angry, sticking to walls after a spider bites you, and swinging from rooftops of skyscrapers at night when you're not running a billion dollar corporation. All the things everyone can totally relate to

Ridiculous

When I was coming up in the bronze to early modern age Superman, Batman and Spider-Man all started in a million titles month. The only three characters lucrative enough to hold such a large part of the market . Nothing has changed about either character of drastic note since then so story wise I just thing Superman writers have to think on the fantastic when writing for a character steeped in the fantastic. Stop trying to make him a mash up of Peter Parker and Batman. He is Superman after all.  He kicks all kinds of :censored: and that's why he became a megastar right out of the box in the first place. Spawning an industry in his wake.

His problems started after The Dark Knight Returns losing to Batman, (no superpowers Batman) in a fight. Something the DC brass would have never allowed for decades unless it was an imaginary tale. 

His other issue was the big rights fights with the creators heirs. Those two things brought Superman's star down. 

I agree though,  now is the time to buy them until they get their act together with this icon. 

...don't get me started on Superman's fall from grace rants 

16 hours ago, sagii said:

You hit the nail on the head, I'll go even one step further and ask what the heck is there to figure out?!? They are trying to make him relateable?!? Oh yeah, of all the characters with super powers, the guy from another planet is the hardest to identify with. Never mind turning big and green when angry, sticking to walls after a spider bites you, and swinging from rooftops of skyscrapers at night when you're not running a billion dollar corporation. All the things everyone can totally relate to

Ridiculous

When I was coming up in the bronze to early modern age Superman, Batman and Spider-Man all started in a million titles month. The only three characters lucrative enough to hold such a large part of the market . Nothing has changed about either character of drastic note since then so story wise I just thing Superman writers have to think on the fantastic when writing for a character steeped in the fantastic. Stop trying to make him a mash up of Peter Parker and Batman. He is Superman after all.  He kicks all kinds of :censored: and that's why he became a megastar right out of the box in the first place. Spawning an industry in his wake.

His problems started after The Dark Knight Returns losing to Batman, (no superpowers Batman) in a fight. Something the DC brass would have never allowed for decades unless it was an imaginary tale. 

His other issue was the big rights fights with the creators heirs. Those two things brought Superman's star down. 

I agree though,  now is the time to buy them until they get their act together with this icon. 

...don't get me started on Superman's fall from grace rants 

Have you read the current Bendis-written Supes and Actions? I'm waiting for the TPB, but have hopes...

31 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Have you read the current Bendis-written Supes and Actions? I'm waiting for the TPB, but have hopes...

No, waiting for the TPB also. I'm optimistic Bendis gets it right 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:55 PM, MrBedrock said:

Mark Wilson is now a consignment director at Heritage.

After seeing his picture in the catalog, I opted not to go after any books this time around. I can take comfort in knowing that one of the books that I was interested in, the Fight 15, went for far more than I would have been willing to pay. I think I'm done with Heritage; I won't wait for them to hire Jason Ewert.

14 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The auction was a success over $9,432,000.00 which might suck the air out of the upcoming auctions ,however I don't think anybody has the bidder base of over 7300 active bidders.

My butt-hurt this HA amounted to (...drum roll with slide-rule stick, please) .22% of $9,432,000.00.  For those participating in the HA gymnastic competitions, there's no such thing as a soft auction.  If you score you're going to land hard and wallet compression injuries are not uncommon among Heritage bidders. :cry:

My theory: At one time or another all 7300 club members are active bitters:wink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

14 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

My butt-hurt this HA amounted to (...drum roll with slide-rule stick, please) .22% of $9,432,000.00.  For those participating in the HA gymnastic competitions, there's no such thing as a soft auction.  If you score you're going to land hard and wallet compression injuries are not uncommon among Heritage bidders. :cry:

My theory: At one time or another all 7300 club members are active bitters:wink:

Are you saying you won every lot? All of the art too? Wow, Cat! I am very impressed.

12 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

But you 1342798689_beer.jpg.a7d8134ab19be970dd23d0a3589215ec.jpg and your collection are fully satisfied.(thumbsu you have the same thumb :headbang:

35 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Are you saying you won every lot? All of the art too? Wow, Cat! I am very impressed.

Your thought process confounds me, but I'm impressed that you're thinking along this line.  

Now if I could only figure out how to use this presumption to intimidate other potential bidders, you might be onto something. (thumbsu

On 1/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 1/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, MrBedrock said:

Mark Wilson is now a consignment director at Heritage.

Now isn’t that a name associated with some controversy?

Now come on, you guys really need to be more positive, forward thinking, and be able to read between the lines here.

With Halperin having his hands in both CGC and Heritage, this simply means that the ever changing definition of restoration has now been revised once again to now exclude wet cleaning and this will eventually be disclosed to the collecting base only after somebody catches them and flags it to the rest of us.  hm

Ever ready to stay ahead of the marketplace, I've already got all of my books lined up in front of the washing machine and dryer ready to go, plus my red hot iron set at maximum to press out any wrinkles and creases afterwards.  No need to pay a middle man like Mark to do this when you can take care of it yourself.  lol

Now, when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as a Consignment Director, that'll be another sure sign that the definition of Universal, like the universe itself is ever expanding and engulfing everything in its path.  :devil: