• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
3 3

203 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, october said:

I won a graded 7.5 in the Signature auction, then watched the same issue in raw 4.0 go for more in the Sunday auction. That was interesting. First time for everything.

I see people bet on HA undergrading far too often, but that was ridiculous. There has to be something else going on. And there's a third copy coming up. Let's see if a raw 1.8 beats a CGC 7.5. Anyway, congratulations on the win.

Edited by Greenlake

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now come on, you guys really need to be more positive, forward thinking, and be able to read between the lines here.

With Halperin having his hands in both CGC and Heritage, this simply means that the ever changing definition of restoration has now been revised once again to now exclude wet cleaning and this will eventually be disclosed to the collecting base only after somebody catches them and flags it to the rest of us.  hm

Ever ready to stay ahead of the marketplace, I've already got all of my books lined up in front of the washing machine and dryer ready to go, plus my red hot iron set at maximum to press out any wrinkles and creases afterwards.  No need to pay a middle man like Mark to do this when you can take care of it yourself.  lol

Now, when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as a Consignment Director, that'll be another sure sign that the definition of Universal, like the universe itself is ever expanding and engulfing everything in its path.  :devil:

So you are saying it may be time to re-submit this book?

batman_15.jpg

54 minutes ago, Greenlake said:

I see people bet on HA undergrading far too often, but that was ridiculous. There has to be something else going on. And there's a third copy coming up. Let's see if a raw 1.8 beats a CGC 7.5. Anyway, congratulations on the win.

In this market? Who knows. Just happy I have another digest. Love those issues. 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

So you are saying it may be time to re-submit this book?

batman_15.jpg

Well, not so sure if this one would qualify yet.  (shrug)

After all, your copy here only has the cover being cleaned.  Maybe you need to throw some more money Halperin's way by sending it in to seal up any tears or splits and also do some reinforcing on both the interior and exterior of the book.  Especially when I don't see a CVA sticker on your copy, unlike this beautifully Conserved copy which went all out in terms of the work done:  :gossip:   lol

RADA4E832018215_125721.jpg

On 2/25/2019 at 6:07 PM, Greenlake said:
On 2/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, october said:

I won a graded 7.5 in the Signature auction, then watched the same issue in raw 4.0 go for more in the Sunday auction. That was interesting. First time for everything.

Well it all makes perfect sense if you have been following this thread here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/447709-your-preferred-grade/

After all, who cares about a little number on an ugly label when it's all about how the comic book itself looks. (:

Seriously though, I've seen raw low grade books go for much higher multiples to guide as opposed to much higher grade raw copies quite often. ???

I guess it really depends if you are a label chaser or a comic book collector.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/25/2019 at 7:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Now come on, you guys really need to be more positive, forward thinking, and be able to read between the lines here.

With Halperin having his hands in both CGC and Heritage, this simply means that the ever changing definition of restoration has now been revised once again to now exclude wet cleaning and this will eventually be disclosed to the collecting base only after somebody catches them and flags it to the rest of us.  hm

Ever ready to stay ahead of the marketplace, I've already got all of my books lined up in front of the washing machine and dryer ready to go, plus my red hot iron set at maximum to press out any wrinkles and creases afterwards.  No need to pay a middle man like Mark to do this when you can take care of it yourself.  lol

Now, when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as a Consignment Director, that'll be another sure sign that the definition of Universal, like the universe itself is ever expanding and engulfing everything in its path.  :devil:

Jim Halperin's a good guy. Apparently you don't think so, however.

6 hours ago, originalisbest said:
On 2/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Jim Halperin's a good guy. Apparently you don't think so, however.

Actually, I have absolutely no idea if Halperin is a "good guy" or not.  I would assume that he would be since most people, especially collectors like us are.  (shrug)

I was really commenting more from a business point of view, and as such, I think he is very astute at what he does.  Especially from the point of view of maximizing the top line and bottom line dollars for his company by pursuing additional streams of revenues (i.e. additional services) on the same book which submittors would pay for.  He is absolutely doing his job here from this particular point of view.  (thumbsu

As for myself, I was really speaking more from a pure hobbyist point of view in the sense that although money is always nice, it's a bit sad to see some of the changes that have been made as the almighty dollar has become a bigger and bigger factor in this current marketplace.  On an overall basis though, there have definitely been more positive than negative over the past 20 years.  If I didn't feel this way, I probably wouldn't be here anymore, like some of the other collectors who decided to take their leave or to cut back because they didn't feel as comfortable with the current marketplace.  Likewise, if we take it a bit further and they ever do relax their stance on something like properly done micro-trimming of books, I would not be surprised to see some other long time traditional collectors exit the hobby.  Of course, we would also have other speculators or opportunists entering the market as they see another opportunity to make some fast money in this seemingly ever changing marketplace.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, I have absolutely no idea if Halperin is a "good guy" or not.  I would assume that he would be since most people, especially collectors like us are.  (shrug)

I was really commenting more from a business point of view, and as such, I think he is very astute at what he does.  Especially from the point of view of maximizing the top line and bottom line dollars for his company by pursuing additional streams of revenues (i.e. additional services) on the same book which submittors would pay for.  He is absolutely doing his job here from this particular point of view.  (thumbsu

As for myself, I was really speaking more from a pure hobbyist point of view in the sense that although money is always nice, it's a bit sad to see some of the changes that have been made as the almighty dollar has become a bigger and bigger factor in this current marketplace.  On an overall basis though, there have definitely been more positive than negative over the past 20 years.  If I didn't feel this way, I probably wouldn't be here anymore, like some of the other collectors who decided to take their leave or to cut back because they didn't feel as comfortable with the current marketplace.  Likewise, if we take it a bit further and they ever do relax their stance on something like properly done micro-trimming of books, I would not be surprised to see some other long time traditional collectors exit the hobby.  Of course, we would also have other speculators or opportunists entering the market as they see another opportunity to make some fast money in this seemingly ever changing marketplace.  hm

I highly doubt anyone is ever going to say that microtrimming is an acceptable practice. As far as the current marketplace and the influx of $, that's the case for anything collectible that grows popular. Ernie Gerber has a fine summation of this within the Gerber guides as it pertains to comics, and the marketplace forces that resulted. And to reiterate -- yes, Halperin is indeed a "good guy."