• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
3 3

203 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2019 at 10:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, not so sure if this one would qualify yet.  (shrug)

After all, your copy here only has the cover being cleaned.  Maybe you need to throw some more money Halperin's way by sending it in to seal up any tears or splits and also do some reinforcing on both the interior and exterior of the book.  Especially when I don't see a CVA sticker on your copy, unlike this beautifully Conserved copy which went all out in terms of the work done:  :gossip:   lol

RADA4E832018215_125721.jpg

This was a 6.5 SP (Charlie sheen copy). Then went 6.5 cons and then to present 7.0 cons 

47 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

I highly doubt anyone is ever going to say that microtrimming is an acceptable practice.

Well, all I can really say to this is that it's probably wise to follow the old axiom of "never say never".  (thumbsu

After all, if you just look back on the changing sentiment with respect to books in this marketplace, consider all of the activities they have slowly removed from the Restoration category over the years since CGC first opened their doors back in 1999.  From pressing to dry cleaning to disassembly & reassembly to conservation, and so forth over time. Sadly, we only found out about some of them retroactively after the fact.  :frown:

Sounds as though your line in the sand at this current point in time is probably where micro-trimming comes into play.  But to each their own as everybody's line in the sand might be at a different point.  Not only that as everybody's line in the sand will most likely tend to change over time as different activities gets thrown into the "acceptable" pile over time and simply becomes the new norm after a period of time to adjust to the new thinking.  Especially when the change results in more money being made on books which seems to always make these changes so much more acceptable.  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can really say to this is that it's probably wise to follow the old axiom of "never say never".  (thumbsu

After all, if you just look back on the changing sentiment with respect to books in this marketplace, consider all of the activities they have slowly removed from the Restoration category over the years since CGC first opened their doors back in 1999.  From pressing to dry cleaning to disassembly & reassembly to conservation, and so forth over time. Sadly, we only found out about some of them retroactively after the fact.  :frown:

Sounds as though your line in the sand at this current point in time is probably where micro-trimming comes into play.  But to each their own as everybody's line in the sand might be at a different point.  Not only that as everybody's line in the sand will most likely tend to change over time as different activities gets thrown into the "acceptable" pile over time and simply becomes the new norm after a period of time to adjust to the new thinking.  Especially when the change results in more money being made on books which seems to always make these changes so much more acceptable.  hm

I'm admittedly a small fry, so my dollars will never be put to the test on the really big books, but I do wonder if you're not correct about all this, and, as you say: never say never.

If you can shift the nicks on the spine around to the back cover by disassembling and pressing the whole book, then why in principal can you not trim off the resulting 1/32 of an inch or so of page reveal upon reassembly to have a square edge again?  (shrug)

I mean, it's all about how it presents in the slab after all and that all important number at the top...