• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help with What If? Punisher cover

26 posts in this topic

No idea. There are no completed sales for it on eBay. Someone has it advertised for sale as “rare” but provides no details as to what would make it so. 

I do like the costume and it’s a no brained as to how Peter might have taken this path in another life. This why Spider-man vs the Punisher is the perfect matchup. Similar, though far apart at the same time,  reasons for becoming a hero...or villain but very different outcomes. 

4B6083AC-6DF9-48AE-8FA4-D583FF8E189B.jpeg

4132698B-CBD4-4CFB-A676-D3BAA8FB9163.jpeg

1 hour ago, the authority said:

No idea. There are no completed sales for it on eBay. Someone has it advertised for sale as “rare” but provides no details as to what would make it so. 

I do like the costume and it’s a no brained as to how Peter might have taken this path in another life. This why Spider-man vs the Punisher is the perfect matchup. Similar, though far apart at the same time,  reasons for becoming a hero...or villain but very different outcomes. 

That's what I like about this story, as well.  Both faced somewhat similar circumstances, although I would say the Punisher got the worst scenario.

25 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

Probably a fake cover. I see no evidence online anywhere that this cover exists.

Interesting. I didn't know fake covers were a thing.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Unfortunately, nothing there references this cover.

10 minutes ago, Serpentor said:

That's what I like about this story, as well.  Both faced somewhat similar circumstances, although I would say the Punisher got the worst scenario.

Interesting. I didn't know fake covers were a thing.

Unfortunately, nothing there references this cover.

The other pictures in the listing look quite real, so if it is a fake it looks good. If I was faking a book, I wouldn't put a visible crease on the cover, which might put off those who otherwise might happily plonk down the $299 he's asking for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/What-IF-Peter-Parker-Became-the-Punisher-Variant-issue-1-RARE/283336231344?hash=item41f827c9b0:g:I1AAAOSw8VtcOYMP:rk:3:pf:0

Could be a double bluff though. Have you tried contacting the seller?

Probably turn out to be a retailer incentive / promotional item (although like you I couldn't find anything online but the ebay listing)

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The other pictures in the listing look quite real, so if it is a fake it looks good. If I was faking a book, I wouldn't put a visible crease on the cover, which might put off those who otherwise might happily plonk down the $299 he's asking for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/What-IF-Peter-Parker-Became-the-Punisher-Variant-issue-1-RARE/283336231344?hash=item41f827c9b0:g:I1AAAOSw8VtcOYMP:rk:3:pf:0

Could be a double bluff though. Have you tried contacting the seller?

Probably turn out to be a retailer incentive / promotional item (although like you I couldn't find anything online but the ebay listing)

I have gotten more information on it in a Facebook group.  It is a "reader copy" given for free to people who purchase a store exclusive cover.

3 minutes ago, Serpentor said:

I have gotten more information on it in a Facebook group.  It is a "reader copy" given for free to people who purchase a store exclusive cover.

Sounds odd. Wouldn't a 'reader copy' not just be the standard printing? I've never heard the like of it.

1 minute ago, Schmakt said:

I pre-ordered the most recent DD annual 9.8 Del Otto covers and got a similar thing for that issue... it was an inch or two smaller as well...

Can you post pictures?

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Can you post pictures?

yeah, sorry... I must have tossed it out... 

The cover was the exact same as the plain gray back cover though and just a little bit smaller. Interior was still in color though... pretty sure it's the same idea as what the OP was asking about.  I'd never seen one before I got that DD thing a few months ago either...

Guess I should always check ebay first!

9 hours ago, Schmakt said:

I pre-ordered the most recent DD annual 9.8 Del Otto covers and got a similar thing for that issue... it was an inch or two smaller as well...

Similar to actual prose books, the advanced reader copy looks much different than the actual release.  Also, Valiant did a string of retailer review copies in the 90's that had totally blank covers with just some text/logo on them.  I know nothing of this book but it could be a legit comic?!?  (shrug)