• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing question how to detect
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Keep in mind, a really good, professional press will not look like it has been pressed. However, since most are of the amateur variety I look at the spine. A spine should be plump, not flat. It is not in the grder's notes unlesss the press caused defects, like rippling. 

31 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's obviously restoration. CGC does not have any interest in noting it as such, nor do they frown upon it at all.

Heck, they advocate it. I think CCS is the bigger moneymaker. According to all the DIYers, pressing is so easy even a 5 year old can do it (actual quote here). So CCS can probably get the janitor to help out on a busy day. Not so with the grading.   

I've been watching too much youtube this month, and I watched an amateur pressing video.

He put the book in a very humid condition box for a period of time before using his press.

I just can't imagine a way that could be considered a good thing for the book.

Without any knowledge on the subject at all, I pictured foxing or something similar happening to the book in a slab.

If anyone that isn't ignorant on this would care to chime in, I'd be grateful.

I'm leaning toward concentrating on very old labels after seeing it.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Heck, they advocate it. I think CCS is the bigger moneymaker. According to all the DIYers, pressing is so easy even a 5 year old can do it (actual quote here). So CCS can probably get the janitor to help out on a busy day. Not so with the grading.   

I believe PGX uses their janitors to help with grading. Not to hard picking a random number and putting it on a sticker. 

There are some shocking examples of poor pressing that have appeared on the boards recently. Common things to look for are areas of rippling or wrinkling on the cover and/or interior, spine flattening, and slight to moderate shrinkage of the cover. There could also be a warped appearance to areas of the book, usually near the corners. There are other folks here that could probably elaborate more on the perils of poor pressing, but when it's done correctly it's nearly impossible to detect...

21 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

Who is considered the best at pressing

Look, like anything else people have their favorites and opinions will vary. Please be respectful of the fact that these Boards are run by CGC, which has their own pressing service with some notable names in the hobby. While I'm sure some fan boys will jump in with praise for their favorites, these type of discussions are not really appropriate. 

6 minutes ago, Sisqo Due said:

Please ignore this warning as this is a personal hang-up of BB's. These types of discussions are completely appropriate, legit responses are not from fanboys, and don't feel bad for asking as you've done nothing wrong.

Also, who are the notable names at CCS? Matt doesn't even work there anymore.

Matt still works there as well as Chris Friessen. Harshen has commented here that they will not tolerate advocating competitors here. I do agree a recomendation is fine, however, all too often the discussion turns into a Kudo thread which I don't think is approriate. Who the heck are you ? Some banished Boardie that grabbed a new account.

Quote from Harshen Patel ..............

'CGC provides its message boards as a service to the comic book collecting community. Although we value an open forum where users can discuss issues that affect the hobby, we will not allow our message boards to be used to promote our competitors. Several recent posts have done this and have been pulled. Going forward, we will pull any posts that violate this policy and may also choose to suspend or ban the poster.'