• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing question how to detect
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, Georgie123 said:

End result. If I press I will submit to cgc. No competition.

See here in lies the rub.  You got a guy wishing he would have pressed his book a few posts above and I see a lot of posts like this.  You also have a lot of collectors bemoaning pressing as bad.  I agree amateur pressing ruins books and you should have it professionally done.  I haven't sent in many books but I have been very happy with CCS, the eye appeal always improves even if the grade does not (my opinion).  I am also not in the business of selling books.  When you have comics that have been jammed tightly in a short box for 40 years guess what?  They are already flat as a pancake!  I don't think this debate will ever get solved.  BTW I will add that if you bought the book NEW off of a newsstand and bagged and boarded after ONE read it is likely it will not need any pressing.

I'd like opinions from people that have probably looked at thousands more bronze age comics than I have.

What are the chances that protruding pages at the edge of the comic indicates pressing.

I have never noticed this as much as I have in more recent slabs.

128.jpg

9 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I'd like opinions from people that have probably looked at thousands more bronze age comics than I have.

What are the chances that protruding pages at the edge of the comic indicates pressing.

I have never noticed this as much as I have in more recent slabs.

128.jpg

Book has signs of Shaken Comic Syndrome.  You can search for the topic here on the forum.  I just got 12-13 from a recent shipment that look like this.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

On 1/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, Georgie123 said:

Hello fellow boardies

Since pressing is not considered restoration but it is frowned on, how does one detect pressing other than word of mouth. Is pressing shown on grader notes of a slabbed comic. Any help would be appreciated 

No, it is not.  Ask the seller if the book has been pressed.  You cannot just look at a book and tell.   Most expensive books these days have been pressed.  Pressing is no longer frowned upon but quite expected these days.

Edited by spidermanbeyond

4 hours ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Book has signs of Shaken Comic Syndrome.  You can search for the topic here on the forum.  I just got 12-13 from a recent shipment that look like this.

Thanks.

This book was graded last October. You received these books back and they were in holders displaying nothing like they looked when you sent them in?

I made a bid on CL for the 128 at the last few minutes, at a pretty low price, and turned out a lot more disappointed with the way it looked than I thought I would.

I would bet this is all about pressing.

There's a color breaking crease top left corner.

I hate to think that staples are coming loose enough, that the shift of a slab can send the pages shifting to the right during the process of slabbing it.

Pressing adds stress to the staples (no doubt about it) such as aggressive pressing (too much pressure and multiple pressings).  Add the shifting in the case and you end up with books like the one shown.  I see more and more books with slight Shaken Comic Syndrome.

56 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Pressing adds stress to the staples (no doubt about it) such as aggressive pressing (too much pressure and multiple pressings).  Add the shifting in the case and you end up with books like the one shown.  I see more and more books with slight Shaken Comic Syndrome.

Interesting. This is one of the reasons I'm very careful when choosing which books I want to have pressed. I can live with a few minor dents or bends, but I'm extremely particular when it comes to staple integrity. Seeing what's happened to some of these books is pretty frightening...  :fear:

On 1/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Heck, they advocate it. I think CCS is the bigger moneymaker. According to all the DIYers, pressing is so easy even a 5 year old can do it (actual quote here). So CCS can probably get the janitor to help out on a busy day. Not so with the grading.   

If it was so easy a 5 year old could do it there wouldn't be so many poorly pressed books out there. If they are saying it's so easy, they probably are not doing the best work themselves and have little idea of what a properl pressed book is.

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

If it was so easy a 5 year old could do it there wouldn't be so many poorly pressed books out there. If they are saying it's so easy, they probably are not doing the best work themselves and have little idea of what a properl pressed book is.

Or if it was so easy a caveman could do it....

Joe

On 3/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, The Lions Den said:

Interesting. This is one of the reasons I'm very careful when choosing which books I want to have pressed. I can live with a few minor dents or bends, but I'm extremely particular when it comes to staple integrity. Seeing what's happened to some of these books is pretty frightening...  :fear:

Too much pressure will give that "Shaken comic syndrome" appearance. front and back cover basically folds over the staples cause of too much pressure.