• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW SALES TAX ON EBAY
2 2

64 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

I'm now paying an extra 10% Sales Tax  on every comic I buy on Ebay.

Seems lame... Your opinions?

Has it stalled sales for anyone?

Most of the auction houses are doing it also. Yes, it has 'stalled' my buying. It sucks because it's not a level playing field with some states not affected. 

1 minute ago, jason4 said:

Wow 10% that’s a lot is it across all the USA? 

should only be 4-5 states so far, see thread in post above...

We never did get to the bottom of it all in that thread.... but it had info and the article ebay published in their notes, lots of good info in that thread..

I would also like to see where it says 10%, link? edit @Pizzafist is that how much your states sales tax is, 10%? that might be it .... curious though :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

He must be in Louisiana, that's the only state where it gets to 10% between state and local sales tax. 

Interesting, do you know how Texas would eventually be calculated? the state sales tax here is 8.25%

Just curious, because if it is just the 8.25%, then presumably 15% off ebay coupons will only save me 6.75% from now on :( 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting, do you know how Texas would eventually be calculated? the sales tax here is 8.25%

Just curious, because if it is just the 8.25%, then presumable 15% off ebay coupons will only save me 6.75% from now on :( 

It will be the total of your state and local sales tax so yeah if you pay 8.25% when you go down the street to a local store, then it will be the same on eBay once Texas gets in on the act and forces eBay to do it.

Hmmm, so ebay is going to figure out county/city tax too? NY state sales tax is like a little over 4%, but the counties/cities add their own 4%+ to get over 8%. We are not on the list yet, but will be. I am curious, does ebay collect for in-state now? I think I have not bought from a new Yorker in a while.

Edited by the blob

What is weird is that all of a sudden about 25% of my purchases are from Washington State and I think that is one of the impacted states. Mind you, if you are a re-seller and paying taxes and reporting your sales I think you can avoid paying this sales tax, right ?

Edited by the blob

I just sent a book direct today, using Amazon Prime to my brother in Idaho, and was charged Idaho sales tax.