• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW SALES TAX ON EBAY
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Just now, Bird said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

and was charged Idaho sales tax.

what is that, like 2 potatos?

It was about a $1.50 on a $20 purchase.

2 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

Ah...I think they are also sales taxing the shipping charges...that's where the variations are occurring.

Still thanks for letting us know with an example of how it works :)

no one really had a detailed experience yet, so thanks again!

8 hours ago, LordRahl said:
8 hours ago, Pizzafist said:

Ah...I think they are also sales taxing the shipping charges...that's where the variations are occurring.

That's BS. Shipping is a service and not taxable by WA. Ebay is stealing from you if this is the case.

The People's Republic of Washington has been stealing from its citizens for decades.

21 minutes ago, nocutename said:

Ebay charges fees on the seller's shipping cost too.  So they are used to stealing from sellers, why not buyers now.  (shrug)

Too much fee avoidance through $1 items with $10 shipping charges in the old days. Or $1 auctions with $1 per book handling fees pls $4 s/h. You'd buy 24 crappy books and be charged $27 to ship them media mail (which cost $3).

14 hours ago, MagnusX said:

When I sold to American customers
I always send them as a gift
so they don't have to pay taxes.

:hi:

I just reported you to Greggy

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's supposed to be the point.

Those other states will jump in. It is free money with ebay, Amazon?, etc doing the work. We have a short grace period. My state and city govs are probably budgeting to spend this revenue in 2020 or 2021.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, LordRahl said:

That's BS. Shipping is a service and not taxable by WA. Ebay is stealing from you if this is the case.

Heritage does the same thing, charges sales tax on the bottom line inclusive of shipping, Buyer's Premium, etc. I argued with them to no avail .They said their accounting dept advised them on this. I think CLink is doing it also.  I sense the marketplace, in general, has peaked and prices are softening. This sales tax stuff isn't helping. I know I have backed off on buying in auction. I trust I am not the only one. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:55 PM, MagnusX said:

Good luck with that one.  Customs will call you when then catch you.  Warning first offense,  fine the second.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, MagnusX said:

Good luck with that one.  Customs will call you when then catch you.  Warning first offense,  fine the second.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does US Customs collect taxes on comic books?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Heritage does the same thing, charges sales tax on the bottom line inclusive of shipping, Buyer's Premium, etc. I argued with them to no avail .They said their accounting dept advised them on this. I think CLink is doing it also.  I sense the marketplace, in general, has peaked and prices are softening. This sales tax stuff isn't helping. I know I have backed off on buying in auction. I trust I am not the only one. 

If/once it's enacted across the board, 10% all-inclusive sales tax will definitely impact my spending. A lot of my recent purchases have been on the bubble anyway, an extra 10% on top would turn those reluctant buys into immediate passes. 

2 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I just made a fairly sizable purchase on EBAY today and did not Realize NJ is now a tax state... UGH.. That sucks, back to in person shows and deals for me..

I've been doing more shows too and having more fun then beating the Ebay bush. 

The party is coming to an end. I knew it had to some day. I buy everything on eBay. My clothes, the vacuum cleaner, all my tools, everything. Not paying tax on any purchase for like 15 years was sweet but I understand the closing of the loophole 

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

The party is coming to an end. I knew it had to some day. I buy everything on eBay. My clothes, the vacuum cleaner, all my tools, everything. Not paying tax on any purchase for like 15 years was sweet but I understand the closing of the loophole 

Given the possible acutal delivery factor..such as condition, or even delivery  factor, the price advantange of E-bay vs a guarantee shipment from the Big Auction houses and Dealers(some dont charge sales tax) seems to tilt away from E-Bay...they should adjust their fees accordingly to each state with a higher tax rate...