• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW SALES TAX ON EBAY
2 2

64 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I just made a fairly sizable purchase on EBAY today and did not Realize NJ is now a tax state... UGH.. That sucks, back to in person shows and deals for me..

Going by what I see at shows I think you will still do better online. 

35 minutes ago, NoMan said:

glad i live in california where taxes are reasonable. 

I'm in Montana - no sales tax here, but that isn't always a good thing. Super convenient, though! 

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

The party is coming to an end. I knew it had to some day. I buy everything on eBay. My clothes, the vacuum cleaner, all my tools, everything. Not paying tax on any purchase for like 15 years was sweet but I understand the closing of the loophole 

Yes I dreaded this as well. It the states that have been pushing this to collect more revenue. Online companies I have to oblige now.

Edited by fastballspecial

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah that $4.50 gas is certainly reasonable lol.

It seems that California government's aggressive sales tax doesn't work well even the legalization on marijuana and the homeless in California is still problematic (still growing). Rising price is just crazy too. I left California in 1993 after residing for 5 years -- the gas price was only $1.27.

My home state (Illinois) just passed Legalization on marijuana. See what happens in next few years.

On the second link, I am yet affected and don't make over $20,000 or 200 transactions via PayPal that imposed the tax law. Never got Form 1099 K from PayPal. Stay low and always check on the detail of shipping/handling before purchasing. It started in November and I believe it will spread all over US soon. I seldomly bought few books and miscellaneous items from Amazon and never was taxed.

https://californiaglobe.com/fr/will-1-billion-spending-on-californias-homeless-fix-the-problem/

https://www.record-bee.com/2019/04/04/new-state-tax-agency-using-aggressive-tactics-to-pursue-iffy-online-claims/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/us/marijuana-california-legalization.html

13 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I think fr New jersey it was may but I am going to go look at older purchases, smaller amounts I may not have noticed.

You are correct on the May start for NJ.  Made a fairly large comic purchase and the seperate eBay charge for the tax I saw run through my PP account surprised me.  I didn't notice the ST on comic purchases for prior months this year.

Edited by MustEatBrains

16 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

hahah- I think we go to the same shows then.. I was actually thinking about taking a ride to cradlecon on long island tomorrow....

I would rather weed the property by hand... 

I would rather do laundry... 

I would rather go into the non livable attic and surround the eaves of the inside with steel wool to make sure no birds enter said attic while wearing a mask to shield myself from debris.

All of which I have already done or am about to do rather than head over to Uniondale and burn $25 in ticket fees just to attend that show. 

Edited by Buzzetta

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would rather weed the property by hand... 

I would rather do laundry... 

I would rather go into the non livable attic and surround the eaves of the inside with steel wool to make sure no birds enter said attic while wearing a mask to shield myself from debris.

All of which I have already done or am about to do rather than head over to Uniondale and burn $25 in ticket fees just to attend that show. 

Thanks for the insight.. I am skipping it too

Had an odd thing today where I got an Ebay invoice from a seller and sales tax was itemized and added to my total. When I clicked through to pay the invoice on Ebay, the sales tax was no longer there. Tried a few times with the same result. Seller is in Wisconsin, I am in NY if that somehow explains it. Is Wisconsin not yet phased in or something?

Add Ohio to the list of Ebay sales tax states.  I was going to use the 10% Ebay bucks offer to buy a few things. I noticed the sales tax as I was about to checkout. I quickly removed the items from my cart.

10% - 7.25 % isn't much of an incentive.

Oh well. I haven't bought from Heritage since they imposed Ohio tax either.

1 hour ago, Cliff R. said:

Add Ohio to the list of Ebay sales tax states.  I was going to use the 10% Ebay bucks offer to buy a few things. I noticed the sales tax as I was about to checkout. I quickly removed the items from my cart.

10% - 7.25 % isn't much of an incentive.

Oh well. I haven't bought from Heritage since they imposed Ohio tax either.

yepper's! Texas starts Oct 1st, when ebay bucks are issued, I may have like $55 in bucks to be issued, but then I'll be charged sales tax too lol feel a bit short-changed :eek: