• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice: Selling Over $10,000 Comic

35 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kav said:

comiclink or MCS or something.  for books of that value just too risky.  Buyer can get book, say he wants to return, send you back a copy of teen vogue and boom you're SOL.    You could also sell here to known entities.  Also if you go over 20K I think you receive tax form from paypal.  It might be 20K and 20 transactions or something others would know better.

This! The definitive, a#1 answer! Words of wisdom.

5 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Yes, I am aware of that too. His comic art director's 1.4 million dollars worth of his Batman collection was stolen from the storage locker recently. Something is fishy too.

A fish rots from the head down! It's a scientific fact as well as a proverb from antiquity. :jaws:

I'd go with a monthly auction on comiclink for that level of book.  Book is hot right now so should do well in an auction.  I'd avoid the big high priced quarterly auction for this book just because those ones attract a ton of Golden Age and single highest bidders and I feel the nice keys get overlooked.  Only my opinion.

9 hours ago, LordRahl said:

It's amazing how few people actually read anymore. He can't sell on CL/CC etc because he doesn't want to sell under his own accounts and be liable for taxes on something he is selling for a friend, as the OP said in the initial post. He is obviously just selling under his buddies eBay account so that taxes go to his buddy. 

As someone stated there are ways around the PP limit but it would need to be a solid buyer. There are plenty of expensive books sold on eBay. You just need to be vigilant of a scam buyer and you may also deal with non paying bidders. Your buddy does benefit selling on eBay though as they cap FVF at $750 so even on a $14K book he will pay $750 plus the PP fee as opposed to $1400 to CL/CC etc. 

Really not sure how you arrived at any of this. I mean, obviously, right?

LR's assumptions and presumptions aside, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Heritage, or the like gets your buddy a well-funded, experienced selling avenue where the auction house handles incoming money, deals with shipment, does customer service on seller's behalf, and basically makes the experience hassle free. For a $100.00 book, that's a small value, but for a $10,000 one, it's an enormous benefit. It might also be worth providing them a list of the remaining comics to see what's worth getting slabbed.

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Really not sure how you arrived at any of this. I mean, obviously, right?

LR's assumptions and presumptions aside, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Heritage, or the like gets your buddy a well-funded, experienced selling avenue where the auction house handles incoming money, deals with shipment, does customer service on seller's behalf, and basically makes the experience hassle free. For a $100.00 book, that's a small value, but for a $10,000 one, it's an enormous benefit. It might also be worth providing them a list of the remaining comics to see what's worth getting slabbed.

From the OP's first post on the subject... "PS I can't sell it anywhere on my accounts (Ebay, Comiclink, ect because of the Taxman.)" If he can't sell anywhere on his accounts, it stands to reason that he's currently selling under his friend's ebay account so that taxes will go to his friend. 

17 hours ago, Hey! said:

Don't use Pedigree, the owner was disbarred as a lawyer for using his old lady client's money to finance his million dollar comic collection.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/56043-latest-scandal-comic-book-dealer-disbarred-as-lawyer/

I have never had a problem selling or buying in their auctions.

13 hours ago, namisgr said:

Consign it to Blazing Bob at Highgradecomics.com.  I used him years ago to sell not only my slabbed copy of FF #1, but of every SA FF issue.  He has a large clientele, gets excellent prices, is easy to deal with, and once a comic is sold he'll send you payment within the month.

Highgradecomics.com is a good place too.

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

From the OP's first post on the subject... "PS I can't sell it anywhere on my accounts (Ebay, Comiclink, ect because of the Taxman.)" If he can't sell anywhere on his accounts, it stands to reason that he's currently selling under his friend's ebay account so that taxes will go to his friend. 

I guess the idea is that he helps his friend set up an account with one of the aforementioned auction houses.

Hey everybody, First thanks for all the advice and help.

To be clear I can sell this anywhere but not on an account in my name because of the I R S. They have eyes everywhere now.  So I'll sell on an account in my friends name since he'll be the one raking in most of the dough. ( I am in possession of the book).

So yeah e-bay is definitely out. The possibility of a scam is too great. I sell a lot and I've seen some things, so I can't take that chance. The whole getting back an issue of Teen Vogue thing gives me nightmares. With my luck it would be a justin beeber cover too.

I'll be calling Comiclink this week and start the process of getting it on a monthly auction if the conditions are right. I can deal with 10% commission fine, I just hope that is all it is. So thanks again and I'll keep posted how this went.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Why not use Comiclink or another auction house devoted to comics. 

This! Let them deal with any future chargeback due to scammery while you're counting your money. That's what you're paying a consignment fee for. Not just for an auctioneer to cover costs of the sale, but to cover the cost of any risks!

On 3/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, Domo Arigato said:

To sell it on eBay, wouldn't he have to list it for $100,000 and let it sit there for five years?

Yeah there's a lot of that out there. Just waitin for a sucker who never comes.

If anybody is reading this does anybody know the record sale for a FF 1 4.0? I'm not sure if one has ever topped 15K. I've seen 14K's but don't recall ever seeing a 15K. I'm predicting 15,200 on this. Wish it was mine.

1 hour ago, kc2112 said:

Yeah there's a lot of that out there. Just waitin for a sucker who never comes.

If anybody is reading this does anybody know the record sale for a FF 1 4.0? I'm not sure if one has ever topped 15K. I've seen 14K's but don't recall ever seeing a 15K. I'm predicting 15,200 on this. Wish it was mine.

Did you mail them the book?  (CL)   I'd have to hand deliever something like that.

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

Did you mail them the book?  (CL)   I'd have to hand deliever something like that.

I sent it registered mail. I was told by the lady at the PO who I know that with registered mail it must get signed for each time it changes hands. So registered priority mail with 15K insurance cost 52 bucks.